Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My q50 issue is my car will not go past 3000 rpms. Everytime I put gas into it and goes above 3000 rpms it goes back into 1000 rpms with no acceleration control.

Recently went to the dealership. They diagnosed it but could not see a problem. Car is only on limited powertrain warranty(engine and transmission only).

The notes said that there is a possibility of throttle motor relay sticking.

Has anyone had this issue and will replacing the relay fix it?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
You have two throttle control actuators, one for each bank and IIRC, there is only one throttle control motor relay. This is controlled by the ECM. If a throttle control DTC is detected, the ECM will go into fail-safe mode and your car will display the poor acceleration you are experiencing.

Without the DTCs, it's hard to say if it's the relay or the actuators or some other associated problem. The car's drivetrain warranty should cover this. Are they saying it doesn't?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're saying it does not have a drivetrain warranty. Or it expired.

There is no DTCs popping up and the car drives fine unless you press the gas and exceed 3000 rpms.

Is it possible that the relay is sticking and can possibly cause this to intermittently happen and not throw codes?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
They're saying it does not have a drivetrain warranty. Or it expired.

There is no DTCs popping up and the car drives fine unless you press the gas and exceed 3000 rpms.

Is it possible that the relay is sticking and can possibly cause this to intermittently happen and not throw codes?
No warranty...bummer. I suppose it could be an intermittent problem with the relay or one/both actuators. If you have no DTCs showing then it is likely a temporary DTC that puts the car in fail-safe that resets on ignition cycle.

What do they want to replace the relay?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did not quote me to replace the relay. They initially quoted me 175 to get it diagnosed and I approved it. They asked for another 250 to keep diagnosing, but with no guarantee they will find anything.

I feel like the dealer should have had the time already to check the relays but did not want to spend another 250 without any results. The tech did note something to the effect of throttle motor relay possibly sticking but recommends more troubleshooting.

I'm planning to send it to a trusted mechanic I use for my previous cars, but just want to make sure I've tried everything I can to troubleshoot it myself before I spend more money on it.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
Did not quote me to replace the relay. They initially quoted me 175 to get it diagnosed and I approved it. They asked for another 250 to keep diagnosing, but with no guarantee they will find anything.

I feel like the dealer should have had the time already to check the relays but did not want to spend another 250 without any results. The tech did note something to the effect of throttle motor relay possibly sticking but recommends more troubleshooting.

I'm planning to send it to a trusted mechanic I use for my previous cars, but just want to make sure I've tried everything I can to troubleshoot it myself before I spend more money on it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man!

I just got my car back from the mechanic. Car drove fine, but when I drove it again after a stop at the grocery store it started happening again.

Really frustrating at this point.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks man!

I just got my car back from the mechanic. Car drove fine, but when I drove it again after a stop at the grocery store it started happening again.

Really frustrating at this point.
Do you own a code reader? Are you sure there isn't a code being posted when the issue occurs. If you have a reader you could scan for codes before turning the car off after the issue has occurred.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have a code reader. But might be able to borrow one from a buddy. I might give this a try and see if I can get some codes to pop up

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
I don't have a code reader. But might be able to borrow one from a buddy. I might give this a try and see if I can get some codes to pop up
If you can borrow a DTC scanner just be sure after the symptoms show up again to scan the car before turning off the ignition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts