Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bottom line is Apple does not support sending SMS via Bluetooth, and after reviewing all available documentation in the Dev portal, iOS still does not support this.

From the Bluetooth Design Guideline doc:
"iOS devices do not support sending messages using MAP"

This is not an Infiniti issue; all cars suffer this limitation with iPhone. No upcoming InTouch upgrade will change this.

The only was this could work with current iOS capabilities is for an on iphone app to send a message to an internet service that spoof's the sender iD. Apple will not allow SMS sending apps in the App Store, and may not even allow an App that connects to a service that spoofs (even for the right reasons).

I really doubt Infiniti would go through the trouble. I dont believe any other manufacturer has.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Thanks for the update greenhut. I was hoping this would be changed in the next inTouch update in conjunction with iOS7. I guess that dream has been crushed. :( I guess I'll stick to just being able to read the messages then.

I'm still more excited to play with the app integration more than anything else with the next update, including the bug fixes as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ideally, I would want to be able to have the car or my phone read out text messages that I receive, and also be able to transcribe a text message for me to send by speaking out loud.

I take it that that is not a possibility with an iPhone in an Infiniti q50. :(

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just one more reason to go android!

Reactions: SnowItch and boone

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yon do realize of course that the Q50 InTouch system that everyone (including me) has been complaining about because it crashes and freezes runs on Android?
TAKE THAT ANDROID USER.... lol

Got to love the iPhone vs Android war.

How bad is android with crashing? Is this normal with android phones too? I've been an iPhone user for ever, just upgraded to iOS7.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the update greenhut. I was hoping this would be changed in the next inTouch update in conjunction with iOS7. I guess that dream has been crushed. :( I guess I'll stick to just being able to read the messages then.

I'm still more excited to play with the app integration more than anything else with the next update, including the bug fixes as well.

Me and you friend. Laggy interface alone is a laughing stock for my German bred owning friends. Forgot to mention that they don't have anything that even comes close to itouch.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Yeah the Germans get the iDrive which has been blasted in the press almost as hard (and often) as the CUE system. Infiniti is still best of breed when it comes to tech (yeah, I know I'm a broken record on this point) and friendly, well-integrated tech. Nobody ever complained about the previous system with the dial and arrow pad interface.

Intouch was too much too soon and I'm confident, given enough time, they'll polish it up and make it more roadworthy. Japanese developers generally move at the speed of molasses (hence the ancient Android base system) but when they say it's done and it hits production, it's about 99% perfect. They got rushed this time.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
apple always rapes their customers, no longer surprises me that their products aren't compatible with something

·
Registered
23 Posts
Infiniti is filling the huge gap between Camrys/Accords and Teslas where few manufacturers offer touchscreens.

The Germans are focused on performance, and Lexus is marketing to 80 year olds. Seriously think these Infiniti competitors did their market research in 2008 before iPads came out. Whoever thinks that awful Lexus mouse thing is better than the Camry's touchscreen needs to go back to the retirement home.

Yes, Infiniti botched the release. But I'd hardly know they existed if they weren't the only lux brand, besides Tesla, offering a touchscreen....Now if they'd only let me order the tech package without that awful wood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Spoken like a 20-year old :rolleyes:

Yes, that's right, Apple got to be the most profitable company in the world by raping their customers.
Apple takes great pains to guarantee a consistent user experience. Sometimes this means sacrificing features. Also, it sometimes leads to frustrations from power users who like to tinker. I didn't like the 1st generation iPhone and have kept away from ever since. I used to have an iPad for work though and it was good at doing certain things but not too good at others.

I say all this to say that Apple is not inherently good or bad. They just have a way of going about things that not everyone agrees with. Not to screw customers but to provide what they see as the best product possible. That being said, I currently only own two Apple products. One is a 1st gen Apple TV that I bought used to run XBMC and an iPod video that I bought in 2007 to hook up to my car. It stays in the car unless I am syncing it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
your right, i keep a 4th gen ipod nano constantly hooked up never leaves my car unless im loading on more music, gives me not problems no need to wait for a bluetooth connection to establish for my music to play. jump in turn the car on music comes on. however being able to send SMS might be a bigger deal to people.. thats why i've got a GS4 :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yon do realize of course that the Q50 InTouch system that everyone (including me) has been complaining about because it crashes and freezes runs on Android?
More than aware... They are running an old version of Android which is pretty stable. Sounds like Infiniti's software is the issue, not the OS.

TAKE THAT ANDROID USER.... lol

Got to love the iPhone vs Android war.

How bad is android with crashing? Is this normal with android phones too? I've been an iPhone user for ever, just upgraded to iOS7.
Wasn't trying to instigate the never-ending android vs iOS war, just pointing out a benefit. To answer your question, NO this is not normal for modern android phones depending on the model. I have an iOS device too and it crashes occasionally.

Apple takes great pains to guarantee a consistent user experience. Sometimes this means sacrificing features. Also, it sometimes leads to frustrations from power users who like to tinker. I didn't like the 1st generation iPhone and have kept away from ever since. I used to have an iPad for work though and it was good at doing certain things but not too good at others.

I say all this to say that Apple is not inherently good or bad. They just have a way of going about things that not everyone agrees with. Not to screw customers but to provide what they see as the best product possible. That being said, I currently only own two Apple products. One is a 1st gen Apple TV that I bought used to run XBMC and an iPod video that I bought in 2007 to hook up to my car. It stays in the car unless I am syncing it.
^^^This X100!!! I have been a long time user of Android phones and 95% of what I need to do can be done on Android, the other 5% is handled by my iPad w/ iOS 7.

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Infiniti is filling the huge gap between Camrys/Accords and Teslas where few manufacturers offer touchscreens.

The Germans are focused on performance, and Lexus is marketing to 80 year olds. Seriously think these Infiniti competitors did their market research in 2008 before iPads came out. Whoever thinks that awful Lexus mouse thing is better than the Camry's touchscreen needs to go back to the retirement home.

Yes, Infiniti botched the release. But I'd hardly know they existed if they weren't the only lux brand, besides Tesla, offering a touchscreen....Now if they'd only let me order the tech package without that awful wood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Lexus seems to actually be arguably sportiest in class in a couple of segments not to mention the LFA and IS F:confused:

There are different solutions to the endless array of options it seems in a car but I really do like the Lexus remote touch, BMW iDrive, Benz Command etc...They are getting better and better each year.

If you are unaware BMW's new iDrive uses an actual trackpad on the knob, its really cool and makes things easier. Seems Lexus will have it going forward as well.

I don't have an issue with touch screens either outside of the fingerprints but it does make for a more "old school" dash layout compared to the other brands. Note that Acura and Infiniti both have kept touch screens compared to the other brands mentioned.

Heck even the Ford system is pretty good nowadays in the rentals I've had.

In regards to Apple it brings up some thoughts of a brand making a "choice". Is the Q50 then aimed for non Apple owners especially since the system is Android based? Contrarily Lexus will use SIRI starting with certain models in 2014. I want to say BMW and Audi use Google in some ways too. It is quite something to think how important your phone choice is when it could make your car something better to live with or worse.

Who would have thought that 15 years ago? I'm not that old but my first phone I think was a brick sized Qualcomm that was ANALOG :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems that most newer Motorola phones work best. I have a Taurus SHO that I am trying to lemon law, if successful I will be getting a Q50 HS. The ford touch is really good once the bugs were worked out, I had it in 2 cars. It never worked with SMS on my wife's iPhone, worked flawlessly with my Motorola droid phones. We have a 2013 JX35 I don't know if does SMS but the system works well with both our phones. The thing I don't like is that it switches the contacts to last name, first name where it should just keep them the way they are in the phone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.