Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Q50 has been giving me several problems
1. If the gas peddle is half way down or further after a roll and gets up to 20-30 mph there is a total loss of power for 3-5 secs then all the sudden it kicks in.
2. Right front tire rubs on u turns only on normal steering mode.
3. Rattling in door panels.
4. Driver side seat belt takes a few attempts to lock in place in female end.
5. Getting no where close to mpg estimated.
6. Screen still locks up after 2nd update only while using bta with android phone and plugged into charger.
7. Maintenance tire light appeared dealer repaired after 3 days.
8. An above average amount of wind noise and air entering only from one window front passenger.
9. Blown speaker driver panel.

This was purchased 15 August has 5200 miles was been in the shop total of 12 days anyone out there having any of these issues

Please help this knuckle dragger

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Welcome, Mbyrne.
I have no personal experience with your point #1, and points 1-3 would have me back at the dealership in a heartbeat. Your point #4 regarding the driver's side seatbelt was familiar to me; in my case that problem went away after I used the mechanism in the driver's seat several times, but interestingly the driver's side rear seatbelt is still challenging for passengers to buckle as it's only been used three times.
Your initial mileage may appear to be very poor, and there is a thread within this forum wherein mileage is discussed in detail. Give it a tank of gas or three and you should be pleasantly surprised. You have a bit more reading to do here!
Point #6 regarding InTouch will eventually be solved by Infiniti.
Point #8 leads me to believe that the weatherstrip may be installed incorrectly in the window frame and this item should be added to your list as a dealership visit is in order. The cabin of my car is incredibly quiet when windows are closed and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this problem.
Point #9 is an oddity in a new vehicle, but one that the dealership should attend to.
With 5200 miles on the clock I would not have expected your vehicle to have been in the shop 12 days. I hope that when you receive the invitation from Infiniti to take part in their survey about initial quality that you'll explain in detail about your experience.
Finally, please, pease consider contacting Infiniti (corporate) customer service directly to express your dissatisfaction and to request their assistance. The literature that came with your car provides their contact information. You can also PM them through FaceBook as well, and this approach has worked well for others in this forum. They need to know and understand what you have experienced. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Welcome to the forum. We wish you the best.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've experienced some surging / loss of power on acceleration... but it has only happened 2-3 times in 2 weeks. I can't repeat it, and seems to occur when the car is not fully warmed up. When cruising in EV mode, then you accelerate, the engine will kick in and may shake the car a bit. That's normal. But I have observed (3 times) a bit of a "lag" or hesitation while the engine kicks in under moderate throttle. At full throttle, I don't notice any hesitation <just the opposite - the car takes off like a rocket!>. I'll report in a longer thread when I have more time behind the wheel. Currently at 500 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also experience the Q50S AWD Hybrid shifting/loss of power.
I have not been able to duplicate the issue when I want to so I can show it to the technician. It seems to occur when I'm turning into a road from a stop. So my wheels are turned and I press the gas in what I call moderate acceleration. I notice the tracking control light blinks a few times then the car acts like it's running out gas for a few seconds because the tracking control is cutting power to the engine, then... everything goes back to normal.
Just to clarify, this is not the issue where there is sometimes a hesitation when switching between electric and gas. I sometimes experience that too.

Anyone have any other info or a way to duplicate the issue every time?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I also experience the Q50S AWD Hybrid shifting/loss of power.
It seems to occur when I'm turning into a road from a stop. So my wheels are turned and I press the gas in what I call moderate acceleration. I notice the tracking control light blinks a few times then the car acts like it's running out gas for a few seconds because the tracking control is cutting power to the engine, then... everything goes back to normal.

Anyone have any other info or a way to duplicate the issue every time?
I think you diagnosed your own problem. This car has decent power and on turning with moderate acceleration. the tires will likely slip a bit. With traction control on, it will cut power to the wheels if it detects a slip. Try this: when it happens again, go back and re-do the turn with traction control off. You will still see TC control light blink as the system swaps power to other tire - but it will not cut power (which it will do if TC is ON). You should not detect any sag in power (unless of course your inside tire is spinning wildly.):D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry druhoops but no. There is no way tires are losing grip when it happens. Not a chance. I will try your suggestion about disabling the traction control and try to duplicate the issue. I was able to duplicate the issue with a infiniti tech so they kept the car for 2 days but they called me today and told me they could find any issues with the sensors and had a hard time duplicating the issue.
Let us know if anyone else is having the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am having the same issue with the acceleration. My Q50 Hybrid routinely stalls when I hammer the pedal down to pass on the hwy. If I ease in to it, I don't have that issue and that should not be the case.

I have had the car stall as I was pulling out of a gas station and I almost got hammered by a truck. It is hard to diagnose, but it is happening and I will be taking it to the dealer on Wednesday.

It gets worse when you get a little tire slip, but it happens way too often.

Net net, I have had some many problems with this car. I wish I never bought this car. I am stuck with this car for now, but I am absolutely done with it and will trade it is ASAP…

·
Registered
982 Posts
I am having the same issue with the acceleration. My Q50 Hybrid routinely stalls when I hammer the pedal down to pass on the hwy. If I ease in to it, I don't have that issue and that should not be the case.

I have had the car stall as I was pulling out of a gas station and I almost got hammered by a truck. It is hard to diagnose, but it is happening and I will be taking it to the dealer on Wednesday.

It gets worse when you get a little tire slip, but it happens way too often.

Net net, I have had some many problems with this car. I wish I never bought this car. I am stuck with this car for now, but I am absolutely done with it and will trade it is ASAP…
Know exactly how you feel. I want to get out of this lease. Thinking about just taking a hit and upgrading to a Camry.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
But I have observed (3 times) a bit of a "lag" or hesitation while the engine kicks in under moderate throttle.
I've noticed this to. If I launch in EV maybe up to 20-25MPH, and I think it might be in 3rd gear, there is a slight hesitation/bog when it starts and engages the gas engine.
But I just give it more gas now and dont launch with my EV to 20-25MPH and that fixes that.

At full throttle, I don't notice any hesitation <just the opposite - the car takes off like a rocket!>. I'll report in a longer thread when I have more time behind the wheel. Currently at 500 miles.
Same here.

The car needs more peddle than other cars I have driven to get everything to fully engage and punch it.
I wonder if that may be causing some hesitation for some people?
I think that's just life with a Hybrid though. since the car has two different motors it runs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The same thing happens for me, if I floor the pedal on the highway after being at constant speed, nothing happens for 2 full seconds and then the car takes off. That's in Sport mode on a Hybrid Sport AWD.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
When you cruising at 7spd automatic and you suddenly want a quick acceleration to overtake another car, try this:
Put it in manual, downshift to 4th gear, then punch the gas pedal.
Once you pass the other car, put back to automatic for normal driving.

The same thing happens for me, if I floor the pedal on the highway after being at constant speed, nothing happens for 2 full seconds and then the car takes off. That's in Sport mode on a Hybrid Sport AWD.

Reactions: andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined the forum and I am quite shocked to see all the complaints about the Q50 vehicle. My problem started about 25 days after purchasing the vehicle. I wanted to see just how it would perform when I shift the gears. Little do you know the cars surged to take off and then went into a limp mode to 30 miles an hour. I tried several times to create the problem it did not happen. I took it to the dealership and they told me they found nothing in the history of the vehicle that would suggest something like that happened. Infiniti said it was a one time thing and if it happens again to bring the car back to them. That issue has not happened as of yet. But the car has been in the shop for ABS light Chassis error, stop engine, AWD error, all of these problems took about six days for Infiniti to diagnose and repair. My navigation ocassionally crashes. The fourth trip back to the dealer for the crashing of the navigation again. I had an automatic started installed when you start the car the way it was wired anyone could get in the car and drive it away. This time it was in the shop for two weeks. I am not so sure this car is a keeper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought Q50 S Hybrid a month ago. I've been trying to "baby" the car during the break in period. Now it's got over 2000 miles on it and I'm still undecided about the power delivery on 3/4 throttle; big surge than it's as if the fuel just cuts off momentarily. It's happened several times while merging onto the highway. I've been disabling traction control and putting into manual mode to mitigate. Seems kind of stupid you have to do extra things to avoid poor power delivery getting onto the highway. What has been the experience of owners with longer experience?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That kind of sounds like traction control.

I've only had traction control intervention happen a few times on right hand turns from a stop.
From reading on the forums that right hand turn from a stop issue is kind of a known problem with infinitis traction control.

I've had my traction control light blip a few times when punching it from a metered light to merge onto the freeway but never had it intervene by braking or cutting power.

[edit] Tron if you look at Hunters video. You see his traction control light blip a few times but he doesn't lose power. That's what happens to me on freeway merges where I punch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdsPZyZoeuU

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I don't own the car but I have been reading enough complaints and reviews...I figured maybe a small chance I could help.

Yours sounds like one of the crash avoidance mechanisms...one of the guys on the forum (don't remember) described your issue and found once he turned off that safety feature his issues went away. He said that it happened when passing someone closely or getting on the hiway when in heavy traffic.. Pretty much like the breaks were hit...

Now with my own personal experience with my g37, I have the same symptom also... I get this issue when I am coasting or slowing down then hit the accelerator I get about a 1 or 2 second lag... Then a huge rush of power... I had my g37 in for service a few times and it's better but never really went away.

Slightly two difference scenarios... Maybe one may point towards resolution.

If you can reproduce the issue I would bring it in.

Just bought Q50 S Hybrid a month ago. I've been trying to "baby" the car during the break in period. Now it's got over 2000 miles on it and I'm still undecided about the power delivery on 3/4 throttle; big surge than it's as if the fuel just cuts off momentarily. It's happened several times while merging onto the highway. I've been disabling traction control and putting into manual mode to mitigate. Seems kind of stupid you have to do extra things to avoid poor power delivery getting onto the highway. What has been the experience of owners with longer experience?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah, happens to me on rare occasions when at speed (45+ mph). Seems like the computer gets confused. If I know I really have to get on it (quickly pass someone, for example) while in automatic mode, I downshift via manual (pull the left paddle towards me) while simultaneously flooring the pedal. If I really have to go fast, I downshift twice or three times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm pretty sure its not traction control. I've disabled TCS, placed in sport, place shifter into manual and nearly got into accident today trying to accelerate merging onto highway. big surge of power then the car almost feels like it "falls off the cliff" power delivery causing abrupt deceleration.

This is my 3rd Infiniti and I'm quite disappointed. I figured it was a hybrid issue but I'm taking the car in with a formal complaint. My FX35 and Jx35 drove better than this "performance hybrid."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update on my throttle issue: They were able to reproduce the problem at the dealership and found out there was a bad temp sensor. It took a little over a week to isolate the problem and replace the part. Been driving it for a week. So far so good!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.