Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my review/feedback of certain aspects of a Q50S Hybrid AWD with the Deluxe Technology and Navigation packages:

Drive Modes:
• I'm still breaking-in the car, so I haven't really opened up the throttle yet. I generally drive in the Standard setting. I haven't driven much in Sport mode, but I probably wouldn't get much out of it anyway driving in traffic. I wish there was a way to force the system to stay in EV mode for short trips or during stop-and-go traffic. I like the ECO mode... it's almost like a game to see how long you can stay in EV mode, how long you can go without making the ECO light flash, and how long you can drive while keeping the green bar in the ECO zone (on the Average Fuel Economy meter screen).​

The Ride:
• The car is definitely a little rougher than my last car (2008 EX35). I can feel more bumps and pavement seams than before. I don't mind it now, but it might start to get to me. I'm curious how a long drive on better maintained roads (like outside the Los Angeles area) will feel.​

Mileage:
• First tank from the dealer:
o 26.5 MPG actual (408 miles, 15.4 gallons)
o 27.2 MPG from Q50 Fuel Economy display
o 120 miles in EV mode
o At least two hours of engine cycling on and off while I was setting up the car and playing with the technology
o Generally, conservative 25% city/ 75% highway driving with frequent stop-and-go traffic.​

• Second tank:
o 29.4 MPG actual (412 miles, 14 gallons)
o 31.2 MPG from Q50 Fuel Economy display
o 116 miles in EV mode
o Generally, conservative 20% city/ 80% highway driving with frequent stop-and-go traffic.​

Little Things:
• I miss the welcome lighting on my EX35. With that, a light under the side mirror and the interior lights would light up when the key came close to the car. I know the welcome lighting is an add-on for the Q50, but it's my understanding it only lights up after the car is unlocked (not when you approach the car). A very subtle but significant difference.​

Predictive/preventative/emergency controls (I give the Infiniti description, my translation, and what I think of each system)
• Active Lane Control
o Infiniti: Active Lane Control enables the driver to make fewer steering corrections on freeways. Active Lane Control slightly corrects front tire angles and steering wheel torque to help reduce the difference between the vehicle’s direction and the lane direction which is detected by using the camera unit located above the inside mirror.
 Translation: The car automatically keeps itself in the center of the lane on straight-aways and some gradual curves.​
o Me: I like this. Yes, I can sense a *very slight* rocking back and forth on some straight-aways as the car keeps itself in the center of the lane, but I find that I can minimize that by keeping a very light touch on the steering wheel. Much like I had to keep pressure on the steering wheel in my EX35 to stay in the center of the lane, this is the same except less pressure. It really is just a light touch. On curves, I can turn the wheel myself like normal, or I can wait a fraction of a second longer until the Active Lane Control senses it needs to step in. Once Active Lane Control kicks in, it takes either no effort (slight curve) or a light tough (more significant curve) to stay in the lane.

o I have noticed a couple times if I don't touch the steering wheel, I get a little Autopia movement... the Active Lane Control and Lane Departure Prevention kick in and overcorrect, sending me towards the other side of the lane. Depending how fast I'm going, sometimes the Active Lane Control will catch it before it gets all the way to the other side, or sometimes I'm going too fast for the systems to bounce me back into the center of the lane and I end up having to steer myself.​

• Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
o Infiniti: Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system — warns the driver by the warning in the vehicle information display and chime that the vehicle is beginning to leave the driving lane.
 Translation: The car beeps at you if you start to straddle the lane lines.​
o Me: I had this on my EX35, and I have it on in my Q50. I don't mind the beeping. I tend to stay in my lane and I always use my turn signal when changing lanes, so it really only beeps at me when I'm starting to straddle the lines.​
• Lane Departure Prevention (LDP)
o Infiniti: Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system — warns the driver by the warning in the vehicle information display and chime, and helps assist the driver to return the vehicle to the center direction of the traveling lane by operating the steering system to the right or left (for a short period of time).
 Translation: The car automatically steers back to the center of the lane if you start to straddle the lane lines.​
o Me: I had this on my EX35 but I had it turned off because it used the brakes to nudge the car back into the center of the lane. I didn't like my brakes doing that, and it wasn't a natural feeling. Now that the Q50 uses the Direct Adaptive Steering, I have this turned on and I like it. I generally stay in my lane and always use my turn signals, so this only adjusts the steering when I'm starting to straddle the lines.​
• Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
o Infiniti: The Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Blind Spot Intervention (BSI) systems can help alert the driver of other vehicles in adjacent lanes when changing lanes. The BSW system uses radar sensors installed near the rear bumper to detect other vehicles in an adjacent lane. In addition to the radar sensors, the BSI system uses a camera installed behind the windshield to monitor the lane markers of your traveling lane. If the radar sensors detect vehicles in the detection zone, the side indicator light located inside the vehicle (near the outside mirrors) illuminates. If the turn signal is then activated, the side indicator light flashes and a chime sounds twice. The side indicator light continues to flash until the detected vehicles leave the detection zone.
 Translation: The car turns on a light next to the side mirror when there's a car next to you in your blind spot. If you turn on your turn signal, the car beeps at you.​
o Me: I like this and I have it turned on. I've grown up always looking back over my shoulder before I change lanes, so this is just one more place to briefly glance when I'm about to change lanes. But I like having it on because I can glance at the light to get an idea if there are cars around me as I'm driving. It is also a nice alert when I start to change lanes by putting on my turn sign but before I've started looking over my shoulder.​

• Blind Spot Intervention (BSI)
o Infiniti: The Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Blind Spot Intervention (BSI) systems can help alert the driver of other vehicles in adjacent lanes when changing lanes. The BSW system uses radar sensors installed near the rear bumper to detect other vehicles in an adjacent lane. In addition to the radar sensors, the BSI system uses a camera installed behind the windshield to monitor the lane markers of your traveling lane. If the radar sensors detect vehicles in the detection zone, the side indicator light located inside the vehicle (near the outside mirrors) illuminates. If your vehicle is approaching a lane marker, the side indicator light flashes and an audible warning will sound three times. Then the system applies the steering for a short period of time to help return the vehicle back to the center of the lane. BSI operates regardless of turn signal usage.
 Translation: The car beeps at your and automatically steers you back into the center of the lane if you start to drift to a lane line when there is a car next to you, either while changing lanes or accidentally drifting.​
o Me: I like this and I have it turned on. I try to be careful when changing lanes, and if this will beep at me and prevent me from changing lanes into someone else, I'm all for it.​

• Back-Up Collision Intervention (BCI)
o Infiniti: The Back-up Collision Intervention (BCI) system can help alert the driver of approaching vehicles or rear objects when the driver is backing out of a parking space. If the radar detects a vehicle approaching from the side or the sonar detects close objects in the rear, the system gives visual and audible warnings, and then applies the brake for a moment when the vehicle is moving backwards. After the automatic brake application, the driver must depress the brake pedal to maintain brake pressure. If the driver’s foot is on the accelerator pedal, the system pushes the accelerator upward before applying the brake. If you continue to press the accelerator, the system will not engage the brake.
 Translation: The car beeps at you and automatically stops if you are backing up and there is something behind you or another car approaching from the side.​
o Me: On by default. This kicked in once and it was pretty cool. It did exactly what it says... it beeped at me and then applied the brakes. It was a weird feeling having the car stop on its own. I was in a shopping center parking lot with a lot of cross traffic when I was backing up. It also beeped at me once while backing out of my driveway.​
• Distance Control Assist (DCA)
o Infiniti: The Distance Control Assist (DCA) system brakes and moves the accelerator pedal upward according to the distance from and the relative speed of the vehicle ahead to help assist the driver to maintain a following distance.
 Translation: The car automatically brakes if you start to come too close to the car in front of you.​
o Me: I had to turn this off. Driving in Los Angeles traffic, this is not practical. In stop-and-go traffic, the DCA leaves too much room in front of me, resulting in cars constantly cutting in front of me. In addition, with the flow of stop-and-go traffic, I get the sense that the person behind me would think I'm messing with them because the car starts to brake earlier than necessary and it isn't always a consistent gradual brake (sometimes it feels like it's slamming on the brakes). I also found that routine maneuvers like merging and changing lanes in flowing traffic caused the system to brake even though I could see open road in front of the car in front of me and I knew that I'd have a chance to gradually increase the distance between our cars. I'd reconsider turning it on for a long drive at full-speed, but it's off for my regular commute and around-the-town driving.​

• Forward Emergency Braking
o Infiniti: The forward emergency braking system can assist the driver when there is a risk of a forward collision with the vehicle ahead in the traveling lane. If there is a risk of a collision, the forward emergency braking system issues a visual and audible warning and pushes the accelerator pedal up. If the driver releases the accelerator pedal, then the forward emergency braking system applies partial braking. If the driver does not take action, the forward emergency braking system issues the second visual and audible warning, and applies harder braking.
 Translation: The car beeps at you when you are approaching a car too fast and the car with automatically apply the brakes if you don't brake sufficiently to avoid a collision.​
o Me: I have this on and it has beeped at me before in traffic. I don't know if it's helped with the braking because I was already braking on my own by the time it started beeping. I like the idea that the car will automatically hit the brakes if I'm about to hit something.​

• Predictive Forward Collision Warning
o Infiniti: The predictive forward collision warning system can help alert the driver when there is a sudden braking of a second vehicle traveling in front of the vehicle ahead in the traveling same lane. The predictive forward collision warning system uses a radar sensor located behind the front bumper to measure the distance to a second vehicle ahead in the traveling lane. The predictive forward collision warning system operates at speeds above approximately 3 MPH (5 km/h). If there is a potential risk of a forward collision, the predictive forward collision warning system will warn the driver by blinking the driver assist system forward indicator and the vehicle ahead detection indicator, and sounding a warning tone.
 Translation: If the car in front of the car in front of you starts to slow down, even if the car in front of you hasn't started slowing down yet, the system will beep at you.​
o Me: On by default, but I don't know if I have experienced it in action. The visual alert appears to be the same as the Forward Emergency Braking, but I don't know if the warning tone is the same or not. The Forward Emergency Braking audible warning is a "beep", but the Predictive Forward Collision Warning tone (according to the Frozen Moment commercial) is more of a "dong". I like the idea that the car will warn me if I should start slowing down because of something going on ahead of me. I'm a little skeptical that it actually works, because it seems pretty hard for a radar signal to go underneath the car in front of me, hit the next car, and then bounce back underneath the car in front of me to my car...​
• Active Trace Control
o Infiniti: This system senses driving based on the driver’s steering and acceleration/braking patterns, and controls brake pressure at individual wheels and hybrid system output to help smooth vehicle response.
 Translation: This works in conjunction with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) to apply slight braking to help you maintain control when turning like a maniac.​
o Me: On by default, but I haven't experienced it in action. I don't even know if I would notice it was activating because I'd probably be concentrating on my driving during those types of driving situations.​

• Overall
o I wish all the dynamic driver assistance systems were on by default. I understand the concerns some people might have about the system doing things without a driver knowing about it, but at least give me a setting that allows me to decide for myself and choose to enable the systems as the default setting.​

Sound system:
• Volume:
o Compared to my EX35, the sound seems better at low speeds and about the same at freeway speeds or with the windows down. Maybe it's just me, but the sound isn't loud enough when driving at freeway speeds with the windows down.​

• Speed-adjusting
o In my EX35, there was a noticeable automatic increase in volume as I started going faster. This was also a configurable setting. I don't notice the same progression in the Q50, so I find that I have to increase the volume manually. I know there's Active Noise Control and Active Sound Control, but I haven't noticed any difference.​

• Bluetooth
o I've linked my iPhone and it works fine. I've noticed that I have to start the song first on my iPhone before I can control anything on the car, or I have to navigate to a particular song or playlist (I can't just press the Play arrow and have it start playing). I don't use streaming Bluetooth audio a lot, so it could just be me.

o As a side note, the iPhone downloaded my address book without any problems. I love how I can see the caller's name now on incoming calls. On my EX35, the phonebook didn't download, so I'd just see the phone number.​

• iPod
o I linked an iPod and the sound was good. I was able to control it fine. I don't know when I'll use this because I have the SiriusXM and Bluetooth from my iPhone (or I can hard-wire my iPhone). There's only so many audio sources I need.​

• Tag Feature
o I used the Tag feature of HD Radio and some SiriusXM stations and it worked as expected by adding that to my iPod's Tagged Songs list. I just wish it would tag to my iPhone over Bluetooth instead of my hard-wired iPod.​
Navigation:
• This is comparable to my EX35. I like how the route automatically ends once I get to my destination instead of keeping the checkered flag there like my EX35. I wish there was some sort of auto-zoom that would keep the entire route on the map and adjust the zoom as I got closer to my destination. The NavTraffic icons for an incident are smaller and you can't use the Infiniti Controller to press OK and select the incident once you are hovering over it. So far, the only way I've been able to get info on that traffic incident is to physically touch the screen. However, instead of my EX35, which would give back info about the incident (location and direction), the Q50 only says there is an accident but it won't give any details. And, if you are moving, you can't press OK for more details because it's grayed out. I can also go to the Traffic Info>Traffic on Route menu option for more info on my route, but it's a lot of menus to go through while driving, and you can only see the first six or so. It doesn't let you scroll while moving, so the traffic incident has to be near you to get more information on it.

• I think there might be a bug with the navigation voice guidance. I have it set to the "turn point" guidance (least number of alerts), but it still gives me three alerts for each turn (doorbell/ding-dong: one mile away on freeway, 1/4 mile away on street; two dings: just before and at the turn point). I'm slowly getting used to it though, and I like how the ding-dong is a different sound to alert of an upcoming turn, but I just want one ding at the turn point like my EX35 did.

• I wish there was a way for the system to automatically re-route me based on the fastest route when traffic conditions change. In Los Angeles, there are always at least three different ways to go at each intersection, so I'd want the system to assess at that time if the route it initially gave me is still the fastest. I don't want to have to tell it to recalculate each time. You have no idea how many times the "fastest route" was 35 minutes and when I went a different way that I knew was faster, it recalculatedthe new route to 30 minutes. Why couldn't it know that sooner? I'm also still waiting to see if the "Learned Routes" setting works. My EX35 always routed me a certain way that I never went. I'd like to see how long it takes for the Q50 to figure out I never take the 5-fwy, for example.

• The delay from when you stop moving to when the system unlocks the Navigation controls seems quite long - almost a good three seconds. In my last car, the delay was about a second.​

Bugs I've experienced (I do not have the software update that came out on Sept 24)
• When turning on the car, both screens stay black and do not boot... solved by turning the car off/on.
o Experienced three times.​

• After shifting into reverse and getting a beeping alert for something too close, the beeping wouldn't stop after the object wasn't close anymore and even after I had shifted into drive... solved by turning the car off/on.
o Experienced once.​

• After shifting into reverse and getting a flashing alert for something too close, flashing beeping wouldn't stop after the object wasn't close anymore and even after I had shifted into drive... solved by turning the car off/on. (no beeping at all, though)
o Experienced once.​

• While driving, the navigation and audio all locked in place. I wasn't able to change the volume, audio source, radio channel, or the navigation display. None of the buttons on the steering wheel, dashboard, or touch screen did anything. Direction of vehicle (compass) on nav screen did update, though.... solved by turning car off/on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Very thorough review. Nice work. The bugs you reference at the end lead me to believe your car needs its software upgraded. Those bugs are typical of the earlier software. Just because you just took delivery, don't assume the dealer upgraded the software before you got it. We still have one or two cars at our storage lot that need upgrading. And I've picked up two cars from other local dealers recently that needed upgrades.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
great write up, beautiful tint, brand and percentage?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Good translation of feature : Moving Object Detection, Distance Control Assist, Blind-Spot Intervention, Backup Collision Intervention, Forward Collision Warning, Predictive Forward Collision Warning, Forward Emergency Braking, and Lane Departure Prevention with Active Lane Control.
Suggestion; wait about 60 second after starting the car and you should not get any lock ups if you have ITB13-036 update.
You got great mileage. I have only got 23 mpg in first 2 tanks. I have welcome lights on my Q50H sports AWD and
Welcome lights can be turned on from distant by unlocking the car from 30ft or so.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport Deluxe technology pkg takeda stage 2 intake custom axel-back 3inch resonated exhaust
282 Posts
Here's my review/feedback of certain aspects of a Q50S Hybrid AWD with the Deluxe Technology and Navigation packages:

Drive Modes:
• I'm still breaking-in the car, so I haven't really opened up the throttle yet. I generally drive in the Standard setting. I haven't driven much in Sport mode, but I probably wouldn't get much out of it anyway driving in traffic. I wish there was a way to force the system to stay in EV mode for short trips or during stop-and-go traffic. I like the ECO mode... it's almost like a game to see how long you can stay in EV mode, how long you can go without making the ECO light flash, and how long you can drive while keeping the green bar in the ECO zone (on the Average Fuel Economy meter screen).​

The Ride:
• The car is definitely a little rougher than my last car (2008 EX35). I can feel more bumps and pavement seams than before. I don't mind it now, but it might start to get to me. I'm curious how a long drive on better maintained roads (like outside the Los Angeles area) will feel.​

Mileage:
• First tank from the dealer:​
o 26.5 MPG actual (408 miles, 15.4 gallons)​
o 27.2 MPG from Q50 Fuel Economy display​
o 120 miles in EV mode​
o At least two hours of engine cycling on and off while I was setting up the car and playing with the technology​
o Generally, conservative 25% city/ 75% highway driving with frequent stop-and-go traffic.​

• Second tank:​
o 29.4 MPG actual (412 miles, 14 gallons)​
o 31.2 MPG from Q50 Fuel Economy display​
o 116 miles in EV mode​
o Generally, conservative 20% city/ 80% highway driving with frequent stop-and-go traffic.​

Little Things:
• I miss the welcome lighting on my EX35. With that, a light under the side mirror and the interior lights would light up when the key came close to the car. I know the welcome lighting is an add-on for the Q50, but it's my understanding it only lights up after the car is unlocked (not when you approach the car). A very subtle but significant difference.​

Predictive/preventative/emergency controls (I give the Infiniti description, my translation, and what I think of each system)
• Active Lane Control​
o Infiniti: Active Lane Control enables the driver to make fewer steering corrections on freeways. Active Lane Control slightly corrects front tire angles and steering wheel torque to help reduce the difference between the vehicle’s direction and the lane direction which is detected by using the camera unit located above the inside mirror.​
 Translation: The car automatically keeps itself in the center of the lane on straight-aways and some gradual curves.​

o Me: I like this. Yes, I can sense a very slight rocking back and forth on some straight-aways as the car keeps itself in the center of the lane, but I find that I can minimize that by keeping a very light touch on the steering wheel. Much like I had to keep pressure on the steering wheel in my EX35 to stay in the center of the lane, this is the same except less pressure. It really is just a light touch. On curves, I can turn the wheel myself like normal, or I can wait a fraction of a second longer until the Active Lane Control senses it needs to step in. Once Active Lane Control kicks in, it takes either no effort (slight curve) or a light tough (more significant curve) to stay in the lane.​
o I have noticed a couple times if I don't touch the steering wheel, I get a little Autopia movement... the Active Lane Control and Lane Departure Prevention kick in and overcorrect, sending me towards the other side of the lane. Depending how fast I'm going, sometimes the Active Lane Control will catch it before it gets all the way to the other side, or sometimes I'm going too fast for the systems to bounce me back into the center of the lane and I end up having to steer myself.​

• Lane Departure Warning (LDW)​
o Infiniti: Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system — warns the driver by the warning in the vehicle information display and chime that the vehicle is beginning to leave the driving lane.​
 Translation: The car beeps at you if you start to straddle the lane lines.​

o Me: I had this on my EX35, and I have it on in my Q50. I don't mind the beeping. I tend to stay in my lane and I always use my turn signal when changing lanes, so it really only beeps at me when I'm starting to straddle the lines.​

• Lane Departure Prevention (LDP)​
o Infiniti: Lane Departure Prevention (LDP) system — warns the driver by the warning in the vehicle information display and chime, and helps assist the driver to return the vehicle to the center direction of the traveling lane by operating the steering system to the right or left (for a short period of time).​
 Translation: The car automatically steers back to the center of the lane if you start to straddle the lane lines.​

o Me: I had this on my EX35 but I had it turned off because it used the brakes to nudge the car back into the center of the lane. I didn't like my brakes doing that, and it wasn't a natural feeling. Now that the Q50 uses the Direct Adaptive Steering, I have this turned on and I like it. I generally stay in my lane and always use my turn signals, so this only adjusts the steering when I'm starting to straddle the lines.​

• Blind Spot Warning (BSW)​
o Infiniti: The Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Blind Spot Intervention (BSI) systems can help alert the driver of other vehicles in adjacent lanes when changing lanes. The BSW system uses radar sensors installed near the rear bumper to detect other vehicles in an adjacent lane. In addition to the radar sensors, the BSI system uses a camera installed behind the windshield to monitor the lane markers of your traveling lane. If the radar sensors detect vehicles in the detection zone, the side indicator light located inside the vehicle (near the outside mirrors) illuminates. If the turn signal is then activated, the side indicator light flashes and a chime sounds twice. The side indicator light continues to flash until the detected vehicles leave the detection zone.​
 Translation: The car turns on a light next to the side mirror when there's a car next to you in your blind spot. If you turn on your turn signal, the car beeps at you.​

o Me: I like this and I have it turned on. I've grown up always looking back over my shoulder before I change lanes, so this is just one more place to briefly glance when I'm about to change lanes. But I like having it on because I can glance at the light to get an idea if there are cars around me as I'm driving. It is also a nice alert when I start to change lanes by putting on my turn sign but before I've started looking over my shoulder.​

• Blind Spot Intervention (BSI)​
o Infiniti: The Blind Spot Warning (BSW) and Blind Spot Intervention (BSI) systems can help alert the driver of other vehicles in adjacent lanes when changing lanes. The BSW system uses radar sensors installed near the rear bumper to detect other vehicles in an adjacent lane. In addition to the radar sensors, the BSI system uses a camera installed behind the windshield to monitor the lane markers of your traveling lane. If the radar sensors detect vehicles in the detection zone, the side indicator light located inside the vehicle (near the outside mirrors) illuminates. If your vehicle is approaching a lane marker, the side indicator light flashes and an audible warning will sound three times. Then the system applies the steering for a short period of time to help return the vehicle back to the center of the lane. BSI operates regardless of turn signal usage.​
 Translation: The car beeps at your and automatically steers you back into the center of the lane if you start to drift to a lane line when there is a car next to you, either while changing lanes or accidentally drifting.​

o Me: I like this and I have it turned on. I try to be careful when changing lanes, and if this will beep at me and prevent me from changing lanes into someone else, I'm all for it.​

• Back-Up Collision Intervention (BCI)​
o Infiniti: The Back-up Collision Intervention (BCI) system can help alert the driver of approaching vehicles or rear objects when the driver is backing out of a parking space. If the radar detects a vehicle approaching from the side or the sonar detects close objects in the rear, the system gives visual and audible warnings, and then applies the brake for a moment when the vehicle is moving backwards. After the automatic brake application, the driver must depress the brake pedal to maintain brake pressure. If the driver’s foot is on the accelerator pedal, the system pushes the accelerator upward before applying the brake. If you continue to press the accelerator, the system will not engage the brake.​
 Translation: The car beeps at you and automatically stops if you are backing up and there is something behind you or another car approaching from the side.​

o Me: On by default. This kicked in once and it was pretty cool. It did exactly what it says... it beeped at me and then applied the brakes. It was a weird feeling having the car stop on its own. I was in a shopping center parking lot with a lot of cross traffic when I was backing up. It also beeped at me once while backing out of my driveway.​

• Distance Control Assist (DCA)​
o Infiniti: The Distance Control Assist (DCA) system brakes and moves the accelerator pedal upward according to the distance from and the relative speed of the vehicle ahead to help assist the driver to maintain a following distance.​
 Translation: The car automatically brakes if you start to come too close to the car in front of you.​

o Me: I had to turn this off. Driving in Los Angeles traffic, this is not practical. In stop-and-go traffic, the DCA leaves too much room in front of me, resulting in cars constantly cutting in front of me. In addition, with the flow of stop-and-go traffic, I get the sense that the person behind me would think I'm messing with them because the car starts to brake earlier than necessary and it isn't always a consistent gradual brake (sometimes it feels like it's slamming on the brakes). I also found that routine maneuvers like merging and changing lanes in flowing traffic caused the system to brake even though I could see open road in front of the car in front of me and I knew that I'd have a chance to gradually increase the distance between our cars. I'd reconsider turning it on for a long drive at full-speed, but it's off for my regular commute and around-the-town driving.​

• Forward Emergency Braking​
o Infiniti: The forward emergency braking system can assist the driver when there is a risk of a forward collision with the vehicle ahead in the traveling lane. If there is a risk of a collision, the forward emergency braking system issues a visual and audible warning and pushes the accelerator pedal up. If the driver releases the accelerator pedal, then the forward emergency braking system applies partial braking. If the driver does not take action, the forward emergency braking system issues the second visual and audible warning, and applies harder braking.​
 Translation: The car beeps at you when you are approaching a car too fast and the car with automatically apply the brakes if you don't brake sufficiently to avoid a collision.​

o Me: I have this on and it has beeped at me before in traffic. I don't know if it's helped with the braking because I was already braking on my own by the time it started beeping. I like the idea that the car will automatically hit the brakes if I'm about to hit something.​

• Predictive Forward Collision Warning​
o Infiniti: The predictive forward collision warning system can help alert the driver when there is a sudden braking of a second vehicle traveling in front of the vehicle ahead in the traveling same lane. The predictive forward collision warning system uses a radar sensor located behind the front bumper to measure the distance to a second vehicle ahead in the traveling lane. The predictive forward collision warning system operates at speeds above approximately 3 MPH (5 km/h). If there is a potential risk of a forward collision, the predictive forward collision warning system will warn the driver by blinking the driver assist system forward indicator and the vehicle ahead detection indicator, and sounding a warning tone.​
 Translation: If the car in front of the car in front of you starts to slow down, even if the car in front of you hasn't started slowing down yet, the system will beep at you.​

o Me: On by default, but I don't know if I have experienced it in action. The visual alert appears to be the same as the Forward Emergency Braking, but I don't know if the warning tone is the same or not. The Forward Emergency Braking audible warning is a "beep", but the Predictive Forward Collision Warning tone (according to the Frozen Moment commercial) is more of a "dong". I like the idea that the car will warn me if I should start slowing down because of something going on ahead of me. I'm a little skeptical that it actually works, because it seems pretty hard for a radar signal to go underneath the car in front of me, hit the next car, and then bounce back underneath the car in front of me to my car...​

• Active Trace Control​
o Infiniti: This system senses driving based on the driver’s steering and acceleration/braking patterns, and controls brake pressure at individual wheels and hybrid system output to help smooth vehicle response.​
 Translation: This works in conjunction with Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) to apply slight braking to help you maintain control when turning like a maniac.​

o Me: On by default, but I haven't experienced it in action. I don't even know if I would notice it was activating because I'd probably be concentrating on my driving during those types of driving situations.​

• Overall​
o I wish all the dynamic driver assistance systems were on by default. I understand the concerns some people might have about the system doing things without a driver knowing about it, but at least give me a setting that allows me to decide for myself and choose to enable the systems as the default setting.​

Sound system:
• Volume:​
o Compared to my EX35, the sound seems better at low speeds and about the same at freeway speeds or with the windows down. Maybe it's just me, but the sound isn't loud enough when driving at freeway speeds with the windows down.​

• Speed-adjusting​
o In my EX35, there was a noticeable automatic increase in volume as I started going faster. This was also a configurable setting. I don't notice the same progression in the Q50, so I find that I have to increase the volume manually. I know there's Active Noise Control and Active Sound Control, but I haven't noticed any difference.​

• Bluetooth​
o I've linked my iPhone and it works fine. I've noticed that I have to start the song first on my iPhone before I can control anything on the car, or I have to navigate to a particular song or playlist (I can't just press the Play arrow and have it start playing). I don't use streaming Bluetooth audio a lot, so it could just be me.​
o As a side note, the iPhone downloaded my address book without any problems. I love how I can see the caller's name now on incoming calls. On my EX35, the phonebook didn't download, so I'd just see the phone number.​

• iPod​
o I linked an iPod and the sound was good. I was able to control it fine. I don't know when I'll use this because I have the SiriusXM and Bluetooth from my iPhone (or I can hard-wire my iPhone). There's only so many audio sources I need.​

• Tag Feature​
o I used the Tag feature of HD Radio and some SiriusXM stations and it worked as expected by adding that to my iPod's Tagged Songs list. I just wish it would tag to my iPhone over Bluetooth instead of my hard-wired iPod.​

Navigation:
• This is comparable to my EX35. I like how the route automatically ends once I get to my destination instead of keeping the checkered flag there like my EX35. I wish there was some sort of auto-zoom that would keep the entire route on the map and adjust the zoom as I got closer to my destination. The NavTraffic icons for an incident are smaller and you can't use the Infiniti Controller to press OK and select the incident once you are hovering over it. So far, the only way I've been able to get info on that traffic incident is to physically touch the screen. However, instead of my EX35, which would give back info about the incident (location and direction), the Q50 only says there is an accident but it won't give any details. And, if you are moving, you can't press OK for more details because it's grayed out. I can also go to the Traffic Info>Traffic on Route menu option for more info on my route, but it's a lot of menus to go through while driving, and you can only see the first six or so. It doesn't let you scroll while moving, so the traffic incident has to be near you to get more information on it.​
• I think there might be a bug with the navigation voice guidance. I have it set to the "turn point" guidance (least number of alerts), but it still gives me three alerts for each turn (doorbell/ding-dong: one mile away on freeway, 1/4 mile away on street; two dings: just before and at the turn point). I'm slowly getting used to it though, and I like how the ding-dong is a different sound to alert of an upcoming turn, but I just want one ding at the turn point like my EX35 did.​
• I wish there was a way for the system to automatically re-route me based on the fastest route when traffic conditions change. In Los Angeles, there are always at least three different ways to go at each intersection, so I'd want the system to assess at that time if the route it initially gave me is still the fastest. I don't want to have to tell it to recalculate each time. You have no idea how many times the "fastest route" was 35 minutes and when I went a different way that I knew was faster, it recalculatedthe new route to 30 minutes. Why couldn't it know that sooner? I'm also still waiting to see if the "Learned Routes" setting works. My EX35 always routed me a certain way that I never went. I'd like to see how long it takes for the Q50 to figure out I never take the 5-fwy, for example.​
• The delay from when you stop moving to when the system unlocks the Navigation controls seems quite long - almost a good three seconds. In my last car, the delay was about a second.​

Bugs I've experienced (I do not have the software update that came out on Sept 24)
• When turning on the car, both screens stay black and do not boot... solved by turning the car off/on.​

• After shifting into reverse and getting a beeping alert for something too close, the beeping wouldn't stop after the object wasn't close anymore and even after I had shifted into drive... solved by turning the car off/on.​
o Experienced once.​

• After shifting into reverse and getting a flashing alert for something too close, flashing beeping wouldn't stop after the object wasn't close anymore and even after I had shifted into drive... solved by turning the car off/on. (no beeping at all, though)​
o Experienced once.​

• While driving, the navigation and audio all locked in place. I wasn't able to change the volume, audio source, radio channel, or the navigation display. None of the buttons on the steering wheel, dashboard, or touch screen did anything. Direction of vehicle (compass) on nav screen did update, though.... solved by turning car off/on.​
With all due respect,,,,DOES THIS THING [email protected]#!,,IS THIS THE TORQUEMONSTER THEY SAY IT IS?,,,that's what we need to know)

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,368 Posts
Maybe it seemed it could fly more than eight (!) years ago! With all due respect: Why does someone dig out a thread corpse? That's what we need to know!

Reactions: rpiotro
1 - 8 of 8 Posts