Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Q50S Hybrid AWD and I seem to have an issue with acceleration and I am curious to see if anyone else is.

For example, if I put the car in "Sport Mode" and hammer it from a dead stop, the car seems confused on whether it wants to use the hybrid motor or the gas engine and that confusion adds a .5 sec to 1 sec delay in the car launching.

In fact, it seems like the nose dips and it boggs down before it finally takes off.

My dealer had my car for the last 2 weeks as they tried to correct the DAS / Steering issue and now I am a little annoyed by the disappointing acceleration.

Are my expectations off?

I know some of the super techie folks will ask, some questions, so here are some more details...
- I live in Chicago, but attempted this on dry roads
- I had a qtr - half tank of gas when I attempted this at various times
- I had a half - fully charged battery when I attempted this at various times
- I am using 93 octane fuel
- I have absolutely nothing in the car but myself ( I weigh 165lbs)
- I tried it with and without traction control

Please help :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have a Q50S Hybrid AWD and I seem to have an issue with acceleration and I am curious to see if anyone else is.

For example, if I put the car in "Sport Mode" and hammer it from a dead stop, the car seems confused on whether it wants to use the hybrid motor or the gas engine and that confusion adds a .5 sec to 1 sec delay in the car launching.
It sounds like something is wrong.
If you stop in EV mode, the car should always start to accelerate with the electric motor unless by chance the car decided there wasn't enough battery.
This is a very rare occurrence and when it does happen it just turns the gas engine back on and you accelerate with the gas motor.

If you stomp it to the floor, you still get your initial roll out from the Electric Motor.
It will simultaneously start the gas motor, drop the clutch for it, and engage the gas motor as well.
At that point you have both motors engaged and should hit your 360HP at the appropriate RPM.
There should be no bog / lag.

[edit] I've read traction control can cause the engine to cut for a second.. but you said you tried without traction control. I've never had traction control cut my engine.

Make sense?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Does the tires slip when you hammered down the gas pedal?
I'm sure it does slip because the hybrid torque is too much for the run flat tires to handle. Even with my Michelin A/S3 tires, it still slip if I hammered the gas pedal depend on how good the surface of the road.
What I do is give good pressure on the gas pedal and get the car rolling first to get a good grip on the road, than I hammered the gas pedal for take off. This way, the tires wouldn't slip. It will take some practice to get the first initial launch without tires slipping. Also, turn off Traction Control if you going to do it. The Traction Control button is next to the trunk opener button. You probably know that already, I hope.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a post out there on hybrid launch control, but I'm also about to post a warning... it seems with a cold engine (or for some other reason) the launch control does not work as described in my post. When it does not work, you will feel the electric motor clutch engage and want to pull the car forward while brakes applied and gas pedal pressed to floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.