Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a 2014 Q50S Hybrid AWD. Since forever I've had the hybrid system on my car acting up. Essentially, when the car is in EV mode when I start the car (after the battery has charged a little bit), the car does not move. When I tap the gas pedal lightly, the car jerks as it tries to move forward. If I step on the gas enough, the car comes out of EV mode and switches to gas and runs fine. It tries to go back into EV mode when I cruise or come to a stop and it usually does but again, does not want to move in EV mode. The car throws up two codes: P0809 and P2859. The local Infiniti dealer claims that I need a new transmission. However, there are rare instances where the car starts up fine and runs like normal in EV mode but only for a couple of times before it goes back into the issue that I mentioned above. There is some sort of fail safe mechanism because after trying a couple of times to move in EV mode, the car eventually stops trying and stays on gas until I turn off the car. When in gas mode, I have no issues whatsoever. I can floor it and it shifts smoothly. I have no issues accelerating when the car is in gas mode.

So I've read on the forums and on Google that there was a recall on some of the earlier Hybrid models. I checked if my VIN number qualifies but unfortunately it does not. The recall basically reprograms the inverter software. This is the recall I'm talking about: https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/104038/1un33

Does this sound like a programming error? I'm more inclined to think that it's a programming error and not an issue with my transmission, but I could be wrong. If it is a bad transmission, is there anyone on these forums who has attempted to change the transmission on these Hybrids? Infiniti quoted me ~$15,000 to put a new transmission in. I've looked at some transmissions on eBay and they are around $800-$900 used.

I'd love to get some feedback on this. I feel like there has to be someone else on these forums who has gone through a similar situation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that I also get warnings on my dash include a CEL, Chassis Control System Error, and some other error I can't remember. Also, once the error pops up, I cannot activate cruise control, and the automatic emergency braking does not work.

·
Registered
307 Posts
With all these codes thrown: Is your 12V-Battery okay? After that I'd check the Hybrid battery.
What does the dealer tell you exactly why the car needs a new transmission?

And don't forget to obtain a second opinion...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With all these codes thrown: Is your 12V-Battery okay? After that I'd check the Hybrid battery.
What does the dealer tell you exactly why the car needs a new transmission?

And don't forget to obtain a second opinion...
So the 12V battery was replaced under a recall last year. The dealer claimed that the transmission oil was pretty black upon “visual inspection” so they told me I should replace the transmission. Still, I drained the old oil and replaced it with fresh oil. The car never had any shifting issues on gas in the first place and still doesn’t. Unfortunately, this is the only Infiniti dealer in the area. My hunch is that it’s something electrical. I could ask to have the inverter software updated. I will probably have to cough up $100-150 for that. Just not convinced that the transmission needs replacement because as I said, there are times when I turn off the car, turn it back on, and the car accelerates in EV mode like normal before crapping out again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Hybrid battery remains fully charged because it’s not being used. At least that’s what the battery gauge on the cluster tells me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The Hybrid battery remains fully charged because it’s not being used. At least that’s what the battery gauge on the cluster tells me.
That's why I'd check that too. Does not have to be the reason, but could. And maybe you find another dealer/mech you could talk to via telephone...

Btw: Even a new battery can have malfunctions!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
That's why I'd check that too. Does not have to be the reason, but could. And maybe you find another dealer/mech you could talk to via telephone...

Btw: Even a new battery can have malfunctions!
He stated the 12v battery was replaced. Not the hybrid battery. Not even remotely related.

·
Registered
228 Posts
How many miles on your car? If you have followed the recommended maint intervals, then there is no way your tranny should be bad. If I recall, the older hybrids have an even more sturdy transmission than the non-hybrids in order to handle the torque.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
It could be either a bad transmission sensor or a faulty clutch,the color of the oil should not be the sole indication of a failed transmission based on what you've described.

The hybrid version of the car has 2 clutches, a wet clutch which is always engaged during regular operation and another dry clutch (does not use Oil) that is only used to disconnect the engine from the transmission in coasting/electric power scenarios.

Most likely the transmission is having issues with the engagement/disengagement between the dry clutch and the gas motor when the car tries to switch between modes. This is why the transmission operates normally for you when driving in gas-powered mode because both clutches are already engaged.

How the Q50 Hybrid system operates:

The hybrid cars have longer warranties on the power-train 72 months or 110,000 kilometres, if you haven't hit that part yet make
sure the dealer actually covers this work under warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It could be either a bad transmission sensor or a faulty clutch,the color of the oil should not be the sole indication of a failed transmission based on what you've described.

The hybrid version of the car has 2 clutches, a wet clutch which is always engaged during regular operation and another dry clutch (does not use Oil) that is only used to disconnect the engine from the transmission in coasting/electric power scenarios.

Most likely the transmission is having issues with the engagement/disengagement between the dry clutch and the gas motor when the car tries to switch between modes. This is why the transmission operates normally for you when driving in gas-powered mode because both clutches are already engaged.

How the Q50 Hybrid system operates:

The hybrid cars have longer warranties on the power-train 72 months or 110,000 kilometres, if you haven't hit that part yet make
sure the dealer actually covers this work under warranty.
Hmm. I've read that article as well about how the Q50 Hybrid system works. Sounds like I need a new transmission. I do hear a nasty clunking noise when I turn off the car and it definitely comes from right behind the engine which could explain that it is the dry clutch. However, it does have rare instances where I start the car up, it starts up in EV mode (since the battery is charged), I put it in drive, and it moves like normal. Eventually, it craps out again though and I have to hit the gas a little hard to get it out of EV mode. Eventually, the system realizes there is something wrong with the electric mode and the car stays on gas for the rest of my drive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have a Q50 Hybrid AWD transmission lying around that they would like to sell to me? :cry:

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Hmm. I've read that article as well about how the Q50 Hybrid system works. Sounds like I need a new transmission. I do hear a nasty clunking noise when I turn off the car and it definitely comes from right behind the engine which could explain that it is the dry clutch. However, it does have rare instances where I start the car up, it starts up in EV mode (since the battery is charged), I put it in drive, and it moves like normal. Eventually, it craps out again though and I have to hit the gas a little hard to get it out of EV mode. Eventually, the system realizes there is something wrong with the electric mode and the car stays on gas for the rest of my drive.
Oh you've read an article on that? Should share it if you manage to find it, information I provided is just a collection of knowledge from the forums over the years
And a picture i quickly googled. :)

I don't think it's set in stone that you need a new transmission but it is certainly leaning in that direction, you should be covered under warranty assuming you don't have any
major miles on the car. Are you not covered????

For the clunking noise you hear it could be the clutch as it is a dry clutch so they tend to be rougher than a wet-clutch. But in my experience Nissan has a rough parking gear in on most of their transmission when the milage starts getting higher they get clunky, same with the locking pin that engages if the car rolls forward/back a bit while in park.

At least that was the case for my 02 Altima and my current G37, nearly 160K KM on both cars though and never needed a new transmission
Knock on wood.

·
Registered
307 Posts
He stated the 12v battery was replaced. Not the hybrid battery. Not even remotely related.
I know – I stated TO should check the Hybrid battery anyway. In the second sentence I meant the (already changed) 12V battery...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh you've read an article on that? Should share it if you manage to find it, information I provided is just a collection of knowledge from the forums over the years
And a picture i quickly googled. :)

I don't think it's set in stone that you need a new transmission but it is certainly leaning in that direction, you should be covered under warranty assuming you don't have any
major miles on the car. Are you not covered????

For the clunking noise you hear it could be the clutch as it is a dry clutch so they tend to be rougher than a wet-clutch. But in my experience Nissan has a rough parking gear in on most of their transmission when the milage starts getting higher they get clunky, same with the locking pin that engages if the car rolls forward/back a bit while in park.

At least that was the case for my 02 Altima and my current G37, nearly 160K KM on both cars though and never needed a new transmission
Knock on wood.

In case these links help anyone else on the forums. Yeah, my car is way past its warranty. The local dealer refuses to even reprogram the inverter as I thought I could try that before replacing the transmission. They say they will only do what they diagnosed. I hate dealing with those guys and I'm never going back to them again. Gonna see if I can call some Nissan shops around who have that software that can reprogram the inverter software to see if that does anything. It probably is some sort of sensor or some electrical malfunction but I can't pinpoint it.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts

In case these links help anyone else on the forums. Yeah, my car is way past its warranty. The local dealer refuses to even reprogram the inverter as I thought I could try that before replacing the transmission. They say they will only do what they diagnosed. I hate dealing with those guys and I'm never going back to them again. Gonna see if I can call some Nissan shops around who have that software that can reprogram the inverter software to see if that does anything. It probably is some sort of sensor or some electrical malfunction but I can't pinpoint it.
Thanks for that will browse it a bit later. :)

Back on topic sounds like your dealership is pretty trash, most technicians understand where customers are coming from and don't mind trying some cheaper alternatives.
I'm also not convinced they've even correctly diagnosed the problem.

Trying a Nissan dealership isn't a bad plan, the scan tool they use should be identical and Nissan technicians are (for the most part) qualified to repair Infiniti vehicles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts