Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. New member here. Great forum.

I'm thinking of getting the Q50S Hybrid AWD with everything except the tech package and thought I would see what people thought about that.

First off, I'm new to Infiniti. Back in 2003, I bought a brand new 2004 Nissan Altima (loaded) and really liked it. At the time, that was a really nice car for me. I then was one of the first to buy a brand new 2009 Nissan Maxima (premium package, also loaded). I know many on here look down on FWD cars but I have absolutely enjoyed driving that car. It looks good, it's fun to drive, it's relatively fast and it works well for a family car. As a frequent traveler that rents many cars, I think the Maxima is one of the more pleasurable cars to drive. And after five years of driving a CVT, I really don't even have too many complaints about that. Maybe I'm just not a car snob, but I do think I'm pretty picky in what I like to drive. FYI, I'm a pretty aggresive driver and push cars hard.

Anyway, my financial situation has once again allowed me to step up into a nicer car.
I have been looking at the Cadillac ATS, the Lexus IS and the Q50S Hybrid. I have also been keeping the possibility of the 2015 redesigned Maxima on the radar, but that is quickly fading. I think I want something a little higher end and don't want to wait a year or more. Not a fan of BMW or Audi (the ones I can afford anyway).

I know the ATS is supposed to be a great car, but I just can't get into the styling (interior or exterior). I actually think the Lexus IS is a great looking car (yes, I like the grill), but a bit sluggish and no hybrid and the interior is just terrible.
So, I have looked at all of these cars extensively and I just keep coming back to the Q50S.

I think my final question is would you buy it without the tech package?

We have a brand new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. It's mostly driven by the wife and we use it for vacations etc. It has all that tech stuff and while it was fun for the first week, I find most of it just annoying now and spend more time trying to turn things off than using them. It's nice on long cross country trips, but I live in the DC area with heavy traffic and I can take care of myself. I do like the self parking. I can parallel park just fine, but it helps to park the SUV, although most of the time we have a bike rack or something on it making it useless.

I would be okay with the tech package on the Q50 if I have total control over all its bells and whistles. Can you turn off certain things and leave others on? Will the car remember what I like? I like the idea of the cameras for parking along curbs and backing into garages, but the "safety" stuff just annoys me 90% of the time and I have no interest in facebook, twitter etc in my car. (that's what smartphones are for). I do want the navigation.

Does anybody have the Q50S Hybrid AWD without the tech package? Any regrets, do you miss anything? 5k is quite a bit of savings if I can do without, but it might be worth 5k if I can control it well and maybe it does offer some things I'm missing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I got the tech package on my Q50S hybrid. The tech was fun at first; but now I rarely use it. The only time I turn it on is when I backup. That really help when I am sandwiched between two SUV/Truck when backing up which I can't see left and right.
When going forward, everything is off for me (even Traction Control). Since you are an aggressive driver, I don't think you want the tech package.
The only thing I do like in the hybrid tech package is: wood trim, all-around-view monitor and backup intervention.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When I was looking at the Q50, the only thing I thought I'd miss on the tech package was the all around view monitor. I also felt the laser cruise would've been nice to have in crawling freeway traffic, but it seems from reports on here it's a bit unrefined.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hello all. New member here. Great forum.

I'm thinking of getting the Q50S Hybrid AWD with everything except the tech package and thought I would see what people thought about that.

Does anybody have the Q50S Hybrid AWD without the tech package? Any regrets, do you miss anything? 5k is quite a bit of savings if I can do without, but it might be worth 5k if I can control it well and maybe it does offer some things I'm missing.

Thanks!
That's the exact combo I have. The only thing missed was the Maple trim (by my wife). She held out for a long time. Finally I convinced her that it was quite an up-charge just to get the maple.

I gave up a couple of things that I had in my trade (BMW): memory seats (but I'm the only driver); automatic wipers (they always need fine tuning, anyway - the intermittents work just fine).

So, do I miss any of the Nannies? Well, so far, I have not run into any curbs, medians, other cars, pedestrians, light poles, etc. Perhaps I've been lucky? Probably!

I think this combo is the Q50 sweet spot. All the tech you need, none that you don't. You get power with economy; all weather capability (mine is AWD), with luxury; great styling, with great handling.

Hope I was helpful, to some degree.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I got all of the bells and whistles on my Q50S Hybrid AWD.

I use all of the features everyday. It really helps to have the car brake for you in stop and go traffic. The back up sensors and all around view are great. The car even stops if you are backing up into on-coming traffic.

The intelligent cruise control not only keeps a preset distance from the car in front but it turns the car with the curves in the road/highway!

I use the blind-spot monitor and intervention DAILY in my commute. So many times you have that pesky driver who hides in your blind spot. This really helped me. Coming from a G35x that didn't have it. This feature is one of the most useful.

Memory seating - a must have for me
Adaptive headlights - turns with the steering wheel and really illuminates throughout the corner

I like the wood accents on the interior better. Not a big fan of the aluminum accents.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So all in all, I think if you are going to get a Q50S Hybrid AWD, mind as well go all the way with all of the options. It costs $5k but you aren't getting ripped off. There is a ton of tech and content in the Deluxe Technology package.

Comes down to your personality too. If you don't get the Technology package, you might regret it later. If you get it and end up don't using it, at least you have it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! All very helpful. I have not driven one without the tech or even seen a Q50 with the aluminum accents in person. So I need to look at those and decide which I like best.

As far as the safety features, it just seems like in heavy traffic, the safety stuff would get intrusive and brake when I don't want it to for example. I mentioned the explorer having all the advanced cruise and lane stuff and it actually works very well but I never use it metro areas and rarely use it in rural highway areas and that's a car that is not exactly fun to drive. The explorer yells and brakes just when people pull in front or I drive too close to other cars and 99.9% of the time, I know what's going on and am fine with the situation. I guess it's that 1% where you don't see a car or something that makes it worth the annoyances. Blind spot lights are nice though.

Also, I'm a bit perplexed that a car this expensive doesn't have basics like seat memory (my maxima has all that), but I drive 99% of the time anyway.

I park in the city often and scuffing wheels on curbs and storm drains is common and have all-around view would be awesome for that. I think I'm leaning toward getting the tech and using it as needed. What's 5k right?

I just need to drive both versions. Problem is I need to spend some time with the car without the salesman so I can drive more naturally. Is it common to do a test drive without salesmen tagging along?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
You need to go look at, and drive the car in person. You're missing half the points. Apps has nothing to do with tech - it is part of what you get with navigation (InTouch).

Yes, you can turn on and off specific features. And you can personalize the car. Didn't your salesperson explain all this? Did you ask them? I'm not sure what your aversion is to salespeople. Yes, you can typically borrow a car for a couple of hours to drive on your own. But from what you've posted, you really need someone who understands the car and can articulate all its features before you decide based on some brochure on keyboard jockey comments that you all these features aren't for you.

If you're in NorCal, come see me. If not, go find a salesperson who knows this car well enough to show you the features. Based on what you've written, either you didn't find such a person, or you didn't listen to them, or you haven't seen the car at all.

Oh, and do some searches on here and read people's descriptions of what they like about all the tech in the car.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the replies! All very helpful. I have not driven one without the tech or even seen a Q50 with the aluminum accents in person. So I need to look at those and decide which I like best.

As far as the safety features, it just seems like in heavy traffic, the safety stuff would get intrusive and brake when I don't want it to for example. I mentioned the explorer having all the advanced cruise and lane stuff and it actually works very well but I never use it metro areas and rarely use it in rural highway areas and that's a car that is not exactly fun to drive. The explorer yells and brakes just when people pull in front or I drive too close to other cars and 99.9% of the time, I know what's going on and am fine with the situation. I guess it's that 1% where you don't see a car or something that makes it worth the annoyances. Blind spot lights are nice though.

Also, I'm a bit perplexed that a car this expensive doesn't have basics like seat memory (my maxima has all that), but I drive 99% of the time anyway.

I park in the city often and scuffing wheels on curbs and storm drains is common and have all-around view would be awesome for that. I think I'm leaning toward getting the tech and using it as needed. What's 5k right?

I just need to drive both versions. Problem is I need to spend some time with the car without the salesman so I can drive more naturally. Is it common to do a test drive without salesmen tagging along?
Put in a request that you don't want a salesman tagging along. You want to really make sure this vehicle is for you without any pressure.

For me, the maple wood trim was enough to make me get the package. All of the other stuff is a big bonus.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I came to infiniti from a 2003 Mazda 6 MT. Haven't had a new car in 10 years. So - I probably don't know what I'm missing without tech package. Ignorance is bliss? Don't know. But I do hate nannies. I usually turn my traction control off, and do a lot of manual shifting. I even turn off the NAV/Audio display screens just to reduce distractions! Must be getting old <but I enjoy my new Q>

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I have the Tech Package and am glad that I decided to go with it. When I first decided to get the Q50 I wasn't going to get the Tech Package, but once I test drove one and got to see how it works, I decided that it was going to be something that I would want if I didn't get it. And if I don't want to use them I can turn them off.

I don't have a problem with the Cruise Control and appreciate the fact that I don't have to cancel and reset when a slower person get in the way. The car keeps the set distance and speed goes down. When you are able to switch lanes and move over it goes back up to the set speed without having to reset everything yourself.

Reactions: cvipgo

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I would not get an Infiniti without a Tech package because of my experience with two other Infiniti's FX45 and G37 Convertible. It's fun and relaxing on a long drive or even a short drive if you use it. Intelligent cruise, LDW, BSW etc... it's worth every penny.

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to go look at, and drive the car in person. You're missing half the points. Apps has nothing to do with tech - it is part of what you get with navigation (InTouch).

Yes, you can turn on and off specific features. And you can personalize the car. Didn't your salesperson explain all this? Did you ask them? I'm not sure what your aversion is to salespeople. Yes, you can typically borrow a car for a couple of hours to drive on your own. But from what you've posted, you really need someone who understands the car and can articulate all its features before you decide based on some brochure on keyboard jockey comments that you all these features aren't for you.

If you're in NorCal, come see me. If not, go find a salesperson who knows this car well enough to show you the features. Based on what you've written, either you didn't find such a person, or you didn't listen to them, or you haven't seen the car at all.

Oh, and do some searches on here and read people's descriptions of what they like about all the tech in the car.
Thanks for the reply.
No aversion to salespeople, I just want to be able to drive the car more naturally and the only way to do that is without others in the car. But I also have no problem spending more time with the salesperson in test drives as well to get some of my technical questions resolved. I think the person I'm working with is pretty knowledgeable. I have driven a model with the tech package, but you can only do so much in a 30 minute test drive. I should have most of my questions ready to fire off at the salesman at the next test drive. I'm in the Washington DC area, but thanks for the offer :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put in a request that you don't want a salesman tagging along. You want to really make sure this vehicle is for you without any pressure.

For me, the maple wood trim was enough to make me get the package. All of the other stuff is a big bonus.
Agree on both counts. Probably need to spend some time with the car with and without the salesman.

I like the wood look, but I have not looked at anything else yet. I think I will prefer the wood though. I was thinking I could save 5k, but sounds more and more like I should take a serious look at the tech package.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the Tech Package and am glad that I decided to go with it. When I first decided to get the Q50 I wasn't going to get the Tech Package, but once I test drove one and got to see how it works, I decided that it was going to be something that I would want if I didn't get it. And if I don't want to use them I can turn them off.

I don't have a problem with the Cruise Control and appreciate the fact that I don't have to cancel and reset when a slower person get in the way. The car keeps the set distance and speed goes down. When you are able to switch lanes and move over it goes back up to the set speed without having to reset everything yourself.
I would not get an Infiniti without a Tech package because of my experience with two other Infiniti's FX45 and G37 Convertible. It's fun and relaxing on a long drive or even a short drive if you use it. Intelligent cruise, LDW, BSW etc... it's worth every penny.
Thanks. I was not really speaking of the adaptive cruise, that's fine. I just didn't now how how the car would brake in real heavy traffic on its own (with smart cruise off).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Adaptive cruise control work great in slow moving traffic or at cruising speed. It will slow down and brake for you if the car in front of you come to a complete stop. You can set 3 difference distance how far you follow a car in front of you.
But, it is not a true stop and go intelligent cruise control. Once your car come to a complete stop, you MUST press the brake within 3 seconds or else the car will move. You have to set again the adaptive cruise control if you wants to continue using it. That's the only downside I see on the Q50 adaptive cruise control. Other than that, it is pretty awesome especially if you are tired and you don't have to press the accelerator or brake to drive.

Thanks. I was not really speaking of the adaptive cruise, that's fine. I just didn't now how how the car would brake in real heavy traffic on its own (with smart cruise off).

·
Registered
89 Posts
no tech package, no complaints except the memory seats. really enjoy the drive. get ride of the run flats will make this car fun to drive when pushed but still have the smooth drive when not.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for all the replies. I drove the car again and have decided to get the tech package. I'm now going to play two dealers against each other and see what happens. (I test drove second car at different dealer).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sinecure was my salesman, and before I took a test drive, I thought I would not be interested in the tech package. With no pressure, he convinced me to go with it, and he was correct. I always turn it on, love the assistance on long highway drives (I make a trip from the SF bay area to Monterey twice a month), and find that rather than being intrusive, it is a sweet feature. For all of the features, the premium on price is really minimal. I don't think you will regret your decision.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger. Got a Q50S Hybrid AWD with nav and tech.

I was 100% sure that I wanted graphite shadow till I saw the Hagane Blue in person.

Nothing is 100% for sure in life :)

Reactions: newq
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.