Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is my detailing thread. Let me start off by saying I am not a professional by any means. I am just the type of person that if I am going to do something, I research it, get overly involved, and do the best I can at things. Thus, I have amassed a nice collection of detailing tools and products over the years. I do well with my own cars, and help out friends and family where I can. This is a run through of the first major detail of my Q50 at 600 miles on the clock. The paint was in relatively good shape, except for the common dealer installed marring and swirls. As this is my first time messing about with the Scratch Shield paint, I didn't try to do any heavy cutting at this time. I opted for a 90% correction, leaving any RIDS until next time, and just focusing on removing the majority of swirls. My goal was a cleaner and deeper black and shine, while allowing me to apply sealant and wax to a clean surface. Do note that it was cloudy and raining today, so finished pictures of the interior and exterior sun shots will be posted as soon as the weather clears in the next day or two.

Products Used:
Chemical Guys Mr. Pink Super Suds Shampoo
Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam
Autogeek Foam Cannon
Pressure Washer
Chemical Guys V38 Optical Grade Final Polish
HD Uno Paint Correcting Compound
HD Poxy Sealent/Wax
Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish
Dodo Juice Purple Haze
Chemical Guys V07 Optical Spray Sealant
Chemical Guys Innerclean Quick Interior Detailer
Chemical Guys Watermelon Scent Air Fresh
Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glass Cleaner
Sonax Wheel Cleaner
Chemical Guys Clay Luber
Optimum No Rinse
Chemical Guys Sprayable Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
Meguiars Ultimate Black
Armor All Extreme Tire Shine
Car Pro Iron X
Car Pro Tar X
Car Pro Eraser Oil and Polish Cleaner
Chemical Guys Wash and Clay Mit
Porter Cable DA
Flex Rotary
Optical Micro Fiber Finishing Pads
Black Hex Pad
Various Other Pads and Multiple Microfiber Towels
Various Brushes

Detailing Steps:

Soak wheels with Sonax wheel cleaner then scrub using various brushes and Mr. Pink soap.

Reactions: Lunch

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I always remove the license plate to clean the area without working around the plate.

Iron X and Tar X on rocker panels, splash guards, rear deck and bumper.

Rinse well then next is washing/claying the entire car. I use a foam cannon with a mixture of Honeydew, Mr. Pink, and ONR to ensure a slick surface while using the clay mitt. Brushes are also used to clean around emblems and any crevices.

Dry well with chamois and microfiber towels.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next is minor cutting and polishing time. I tested the rear deck lid and with a combination of the Flex and PC, different pads and compounds. I ended up putting the Flex rotary up and just used the PC. For a minor cut, I used the PC with a Microfiber finishing pad and HD Uno Compound. I followed this up with the PC, black finishing pad, and V38 final polish. I'm happy with the results, again aiming for about 90% correction this time around.

Don't forget to tape off emblems and trim.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before applying sealant and wax, I cleaned her up well with Eraser to remove all polishing oils.

Next, I applied HD Poxy sealant.

While that cured, I moved to the exhaust tips.

Then concentrated on the interior while the HD Poxy continued to cure.

After a wipe down of the HD Poxy, I applied Black Light radiant finish wax and followed it up with V07 spray sealant.

Here are some attempts to show results while in the garage. I plan on one more coat of V07 and then will try to take updated pictures in sunlight as soon as possible.

Now if the weather would clear this weekend....

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done. I take my time as well. Bravo

Yeah, and that was only the half of it. I do enjoy the alone time, as much as I love my family, I need solitude. While 8 hours of detailing is tiring, it is good for the soul. Allows a lot of time to reflect, think, etc.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
well done, autogeek material ;)

why polish such a new car, i know there might be some swirls, but dont you want to wait until later in the ownership before you start chipping away at the clear?

Reactions: tonypgst

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Considering I didn't use the rotary and only used finishing pads on the PC dual action, it had little impact on the paint or longevity of the clear. This was more a cleaning and polish (no cutting) to prep for applying the sealant. I'd say at least 90% of the swirls were removed with this method. Now if I'd wet sanded the RIDS with 2000 and 3000 grit paper then followed up with a 2 or 3 step correction using cutting pads, then we'd be talking about some paint removal. Still, I usually do that to all my cars once a year. Did this yearly to my G35 and it looked great considering it was 9 years old when I sold it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
im surprised the finishing pad was abrasive enough to take out whatever swirls were there.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the microfiber finishing pad has the same material as the cutting ones, just less dense backer material. It still does a good job with a compound like HD Uno as a first step. I am still learning what it will take to properly correct this Scratch Shield clear.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
So, when are you coming to my house?:D Good job - I don't have patience to do all that, though I do keep my car in very good condition. Maybe if I had a black car............;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, second day of rain and the Q stays in the garage. Tomorrow is looking to be clear, fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
kudos! very nicely done with quality products! I love CG products as well as P21S. Although my current infiniti is Malbec Black, I've sworn that I'll never get a dark colored car because of the crazy soft Inifiniti paint and its up keep is just beyond me (I hand wash almost every week...in the summer obv). Nicely done!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Do my Q50 too please! :D:D:D

·
Registered
199 Posts
nice thread, tony! I use a lot of the same products - really like CG stuff in general.

I use the Hybrid V7 as a quick detailer and finishing sealant and it does a great job adding some shine and repelling dust and dirt. The surface ends up being even slicker after applying it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I keep a bottle of V7 and microfiber cloth in the trunk for just in case times.

Reactions: Vancity808
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.