Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
what are you guys getting on the Hybrid on AVG?

i think the Gas tank is 17 Gallons how many miles are you guys getting for a whole tank?
420-450 per tank. Putting in about 15 gallons.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't have Hybrid Sport but my Hybrid Premium is averaging 32 MPG and I'm filling up when it still says that I have around 50 miles to empty and with 450 miles run on the tank, so I've constantly getting estimated 500 miles when filling the tank, and as you can see it stays constant through out the tank.

One more thing, I'm averaging 43% of EV driving, so take that in consideration also.

·
Registered
432 Posts
On my Sport Hybrid with AWD I am averaging 30-32 MPG on a clear day.
Lately with the snow storms and really bad road conditions my average dropped to 27-28 MPG.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here is what I'm getting until this morning. As you can see almost 500 miles per tank, Avg. 32MPG since I bought it, Current Tank EV drive is 48.4%, and Global EV average is 43.7%, since I bought the car on November 9 and 1342 miles I have filled the tank three times and still have 1/4 of this tank. All of this on my regular daily commute, and the little chances I have to use the whole performance, I have done it, so I'm not driving like a Nanny, just driving it on the same route that my previous 2008 G37 and 2011 M37S used $60/week on gas and at most 315 miles per tank. If you ask me if I'm happy, well, I'm excited...:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
You guys are doing way better than I am, only had the car now for a little over three weeks but have near 2000 miles on it. Most of those miles are pure highway driving and much of that is with cruise set at 80 where it seem to average right at 30. The non-highway driving I have been doing is the 6.5 mile drive from the hotel I stay at during the week and the office, that short ride is driving down my highway average to the total average of just over 27. I'm not one to try to conserve much and jack rabbit starts are fun, so I'm happy with my less than perfect numbers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Most of those miles are pure highway driving and much of that is with cruise set at 80
Unless you are going down hill, you will find it difficult to go into EV mode over 63mph.

Someone posted in another thread, that the top speed in which it will achieve EV mode is dependent on the amount of charge in the batteries (and will decrease if the external temperature is cold due to additional drain on the batteries).

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
You guys are doing way better than I am, only had the car now for a little over three weeks but have near 2000 miles on it. Most of those miles are pure highway driving and much of that is with cruise set at 80 where it seem to average right at 30. The non-highway driving I have been doing is the 6.5 mile drive from the hotel I stay at during the week and the office, that short ride is driving down my highway average to the total average of just over 27. I'm not one to try to conserve much and jack rabbit starts are fun, so I'm happy with my less than perfect numbers.
Whether it's a hybrid or not, a speed of 80 will greatly diminish one's efficiency. From what I've read, as speed increases arithmetically, the efficiency decreases geometrically. (For those who are math-challenged, arithmetically means by addition, and geometrically means by multiplication). The EPA, from what I understand, uses 60-65 mph to figure highway mileage.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Whether it's a hybrid or not, a speed of 80 will greatly diminish one's efficiency. From what I've read, as speed increases arithmetically, the efficiency decreases geometrically. (For those who are math-challenged, arithmetically means by addition, and geometrically means by multiplication). The EPA, from what I understand, uses 60-65 mph to figure highway mileage.
Actually, if remember correctly the EPA uses a slower speed than that on the new tests. I posted a link on another forum with the details on how the MPG figures are calculated (and why they are so skewed) on another forum. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

This isn't the one I posted (still looking for it), but this is a good sample. Notice the AVG speed for the highway test is 48.3

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Still didn't find the link, but here is the text I was looking for (again, average speed for highway test is 48mph):

The "city" program is designed to replicate an urban rush-hour driving experience in which the vehicle is started with the engine cold and is driven in stop-and-go traffic with frequent idling. The car or truck is driven for 11 miles and makes 23 stops over the course of 31 minutes, with an average speed of 20 mph and a top speed of 56 mph. The "highway" program, on the other hand, is created to emulate rural and interstate freeway driving with a warmed-up engine, making no stops (both of which ensure maximum fuel economy). The vehicle is driven for 10 miles over a period of 12.5 minutes with an average speed of 48 mph and a top speed of 60 mph. Both fuel economy tests are performed with the vehicle's air conditioning and other accessories turned off.
More info here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/28004-epa-fuel-economy-explained1.htm

·
Registered
44 Posts
holy cow.. how are you guys getting this?

I"ve got Q50 Hybrid (not S) and am getting 20.5 no matter how i drive. I'm not pushing it or driving in sports mode. All "Standard" mode driving with 70% city and 30% highway.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I"ve got Q50 Hybrid (not S) and am getting 20.5 no matter how i drive. I'm not pushing it or driving in sports mode. All "Standard" mode driving with 70% city and 30% highway.
It's the 70% city driving that is pushing your overall mileage down I would guess. I'm thinking that you must have a lot of lights etc. or other stop and go with few low speed crusing miles where EV mode could kick in and increase MPG's.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Since the onset of colder weather (Washington DC area - Maryland) my mileage has dropped quite a bit. I'm averaging about 25MPG in mostly city driving (85% City / 15% highway). Was getting around 28MPG during the fall. I don't have that far to drive to/from work (6 miles) so I don't think the vehicle gets fully warmed during my daily commute which I think affects the % of time it is in electric mode. Also wish the MPG gauge was more accurate. It consistently reports about 10% better mileage than I am actually getting.

Orrin
Q50 Hybrid Premium AWD - deluxe tech and navigation

·
Registered
49 Posts

I drive mostly city and little highway to work and back. I usually get an average of 27. I think this is mostly start and stop from traffic lights which uses lots of power.

One time I reset the MPG average when I got on the freeway, traveled about 25 miles and averaged 39 MPG.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Since the onset of colder weather (Washington DC area - Maryland) my mileage has dropped quite a bit. I'm averaging about 25MPG in mostly city driving (85% City / 15% highway). Was getting around 28MPG during the fall. I don't have that far to drive to/from work (6 miles) so I don't think the vehicle gets fully warmed during my daily commute which I think affects the % of time it is in electric mode. Also wish the MPG gauge was more accurate. It consistently reports about 10% better mileage than I am actually getting.

Orrin
Agreed. The winter weather has certainly affected my mileage as well. Mine will barely go into EV mode for the first 15 minutes of my drive, until the engine warms up. It was easy to get 32+ mpg (on the gauge) the actual mpg is about 30, but now I'm hard pressed to get 27mpg, which is about 25mpg actual on my Q50S Hybrid......

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Remember that the EPA tests with real gasoline, not the ethanol crap we have to buy.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's the 70% city driving that is pushing your overall mileage down I would guess. I'm thinking that you must have a lot of lights etc. or other stop and go with few low speed crusing miles where EV mode could kick in and increase MPG's.
Most hybrids tend to get better or equal mileage in the city versus highway, so this still doesn't add up (2013 Prius is rated at 51 city / 48 hwy). Not sure why the Infiniti hybrid system is so weak in the city. I have an AWD gasser and I drive about 50/50 split and average about 21mpgs.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Most hybrids tend to get better or equal mileage in the city versus highway, so this still doesn't add up (2013 Prius is rated at 51 city / 48 hwy). Not sure why the Infiniti hybrid system is so weak in the city. I have an AWD gasser and I drive about 50/50 split and average about 21mpgs.
Uh, considering that the Prius has a 1.8L engine, and the Q50 has one twice the displacement, and the Q50 is so much heavier than the Prius, it's no surprise that the Prius does better in the city, comparatively. On the highway, once you reach cruising speed, it takes less energy to keep going. I got the hybrid because I wanted much better mileage, but I still wanted a CAR, not an appliance.;) I've made a lot of short trips lately, so my local mileage has suffered, having dropped to around 25. My highway trips have yielded the 34-36 mpg range, which is what I expected.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

That sounds like something is wrong.
Thats a gas engine MPG.
If it stays that way for another tank of gas, maybe have the dealer take a look.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Orrin
I think in our area they increase the amount of ethanol in the gas to reduce emissions in the winter. I read an article on it once, and can't remember the details on the why's and how's, but this will decrease your gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.