Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The below videos demonstrate that the Q50(S) Hybrid is faster than an Audi S4 in real world acceleration. The S4 has an impressive 0-60 time thanks to its launch control while the Q50 Hybrid has a less impressive 0-60 acceleration time due to a lack of launch control and unenthusiastic reviewers, thanks MT & C&A. Looking at the 20-80 time for both since the Audi S4 video starts a few of its runs at 10 mph shows the Q50 Hybrid reaching 20-80 in 6.66 seconds versus the S4's 6.93 by my own biased, iPhone timer finger. Other timers welcome. Apologies for the lower quality of my uploaded video. It's temporary.

Watching and timing, we can all tell who would kick whose aS....4.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
How much gas was in each car?

How heavy were the drivers?

What was the elevation of the area where this was being done?

What color was the Hybrid? What color was the S4?

:p j/k kinda sorta not really; of course the Q50SH is faster. Was there much doubt?

Also, was the Hybrid AWD?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
From a standstill, S4 with the dual clutch transmission says it's 4.7.
4.9-5 without that transmission.
Probably would be close.
I imagine the S4 with the dual clutch is slightly faster from 0-60.

The hybrid might be better starting at 20MPH because of the electric motor torque being instant.
Just my guess...

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

:p j/k kinda sorta not really; of course the Q50SH is faster. Was there much doubt?

Hybrid 2WD. Honestly, I have been a little surprised by the cars it can beat. C&D and MT left me with lowered expectations. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've beat B8 S4s before, im not sure that i should've but for some reason i inched out in front of him the whole time :D

Reactions: hunter81

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I know they're the hotshots in the automotive journalist community but it's almost just that which makes them the most unobjective and fallible in a some ways.
Screw the "journalists". Trust the seat of your pants. My SOP was thoroughly impressed by the test drive. The driver (myself) went full throttle, from a dead stop. Egad, had to buy the hybrid!

Reactions: JayG35 and hunter81

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Screw the "journalists". Trust the seat of your pants. My SOP was thoroughly impressed by the test drive. The driver (myself) went full throttle, from a dead stop. Egad, had to buy the hybrid!
Well, you definitely should value both journalists but the thing is to associate realistic weight to what these journalists are providing. Test drives and doing your own comparative testing should always be the final deciding factor. The bloggers and reviews should be used as a backdrop to develop your own research for what the car has to offer on the basics

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I had an S4 and it was freakin fast as ****. Probably one of the most comfiest and smoothest accelerations I've driven in.
I always felt a little bit of regret that I never got a chance to test drive one. The Audi dealer near me only gets in one S4 every few months or so and they didn't tend to stay around long. They're pricier in comparison to the Q but man they're gorgeous and highly versatile.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Audi S4 engine is a beast with that dual clutch transmission. I avoid challenging the new Audi S4's on the highway and at red lights. Same goes with the BMW 335i.

It would probably be close but no need to waste my gas on something like that.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't need launch control for a hybrid. your highest torque is at 0 RPM since you start off EV. you smash the pedal and go. that's your launch control :)
Well, you have the full torque of the electric motor at 0 rpm, but none from the gas engine. The peak combined torque is still going to be at some point over 0 rpm. Would be nice if Infiniti would release that info. Regardless, I'm not saying the car needs launch control. It seems like it might be a little hard on the cars anyways. This was more about pointing out how launch control systems can create 0-60 that can be a little deceiving when compared to the actual performance of the cars engine. I had always considered an S4 to be a very fast car and was surprised (and pleased) that in a rolling start situation the Q50 Hybrid has a fairly nice advantage.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Audi S4 engine is a beast with that dual clutch transmission. I avoid challenging the new Audi S4's on the highway and at red lights. Same goes with the BMW 335i.

It would probably be close but no need to waste my gas on something like that.
Yea, but what's the fun if you know for sure you'll win? I can't wait to challenge an S4 or even an M3. I tried to race an M3 recently, but the guy was acting all squirrely. He'd punch it and race and then suddenly slam his brakes. I know an M3 is faster, but I still wanted to see how long it would take him to pull ahead for comparison. His driving was a bit erratic so I figured better to not play with him.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Indeed!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should clarify that I used 20-80 for my measure because he started most of his runs already rolling and my run stopped at 90. I figured for the sake of using a timer, it's easier to be more accurate when you can click as the needle is swinging past 20 and 80 rather than trying to anticipate the moment a car leaves 0 mph. Also, the launch he does with the launch control at 3,000 rpm shows just how effective a system it is. The S4 flies off the line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't had the chance to "test" my hybrid against a BMW or Audi but when I do and even if they pull on me, I'm sure they're going to be wondering about the Hybrid badges on the fenders and shaking their heads in disbelief.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Looks like we both had about a quarter tank. I'm 600 lbs. Starting Jenny Craig tomorrow! ;-) J/k.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't had the chance to "test" my hybrid against a BMW or Audi but when I do and even if they pull on me, I'm sure they're going to be wondering about the Hybrid badges on the fenders and shaking their heads in disbelief.
I had posted in another thread that I raced a Porsche Boxter S, current model. Porsche claims 0-60 in 4.8. My Hybrid was clearly faster. We did about 3-4 runs with me pulling away from him every time. I could tell it completely frustrated him. When he pulled up next to me later in traffic he refused to even make eye contact with me when I tried to give him a "good race" thumbs up.

Reactions: afrosheen
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.