Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas everyone,

I purchased maintenance plan for 5 years which includes every oil change for every 3 months or 3000 miles from Frontier Infiniti in Santa Clara. I did not know back then because my car was still on delivery until I found out later on from the maintenance booklet that says every 5000 miles.

I called them back today to see why I got sold 3000 miles one or every 3 months. The Finance lady told me, the booklet is not correct and there should be only 3000 miles (3 months) or 7500 miles (6 months). I know that is the maintenance for G but Q isn't different? (I know it is the same engine too).

Can someone clarify me this especially from members who work for dealership or Infiniti?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
They recommended to me to do oil changes every 6 months.
I thought it was due to mileage.
I'm on a lease with 10k a year which is lower mileage.

It does seem odd to me anyway that you would need to change synthetic oil every 3 months / 3000 miles.
I don't have any insight into that.

Can you return the maintenance package?

BTW, I used the same dealer. ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh cool.

I was told that if my annual mileage is over 10K a year, they recommend me to do 3000 miles (which was odd to me). What I am not happy with, she told me that 5000 miles is not correct. There is only 3000 and 7500 miles.
I haven't gone there yet. It was just on the phone and it is difficult to discuss this. The guy who sold me the plan was not there.

I am fine if they need to make more money but it needs to be justified the correctness. I still need to drop the car 4 times a year for maintenance.
I chose Frontier because of their family oriented dealership.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mmm, ok if you look at the 2013 maintenance schedule.
They probably put you under schedule 1 (your schedule 1 or 2).
See page 8 of the PDF below.
Beats me how they determine your "operating condition" and weather your schedule 1 or 2.

Oddly enough in the 2014 maintenance manual there is no more schedule 1 and 2.
It looks like there is only schedule 2 which is the longer interval.
Is it a printing mistake or for real?
Don't know that either.

https://owners.infinitiusa.com/cont...3/2013-infiniti-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I think andrew got it right! I think I had the same explanation while I was inquiring about different maintenance packages!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Standard maintenance;
features 5,000 mile or 6 month, whichever comesfirst, service intervals and generally applies when you primarily operate yourvehicle on the highway in temperate conditions. Premium maintenance is an Infiniti recommended optional upgrade that adds services when maintenance is performed.

Premium Maintenance;

performing the Premium upgrade services may optimize the performance, durability, reliability, and resale value of your vehicle.(Premium Maintenance items are available at every 30,000 miles or
36 months interval.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think that dealer knows what they are talking about because you go by the manual unless you drive it hard. And they sold you wrong maintenance package. My dealer had a 5000 miles oil change one or 6 month. Think your dealer wanting you money.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Official Infiniti maintenance schedule on all Q50's is every 6 months or 5000 miles. Too bad you didn't check this forum before buying the car - you may have discovered that you could have driven 20 minutes north and dealt with the A team instead of the B team at Frontier. We share ownership, but I'd bet my next commission that I can give you a more thorough and accurate answer to any question about this car than every salesperson down there combined.

I know I sound cocky about that. But seriously, if you have friends looking for a car like yours, give them my contact info and send them up to see me in Redwood City - I'll make it worth the drive.

Sorry you got the wrong info. And then a reconfirmation of that wrong info. I'm not sure what the resolution should be, but you'll need to take it up with Frontier.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sinecure, isn't the problem though they only sell a schedule 1 or 2 maintenance program?

So basically if you drive more than 5K every 6 months it kind of defaults you to schedule 1 right.
Which is basically 4 oils changes a year.
An oil change every 3 months.

It seems to me like they just need more flexibility on the maintenance packages.
It should really offer one that changes the oil 3 times a year if you drive more than 10,000 miles a year.

Am I wrong about that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, the standard maintenance schedule for oil changes for the 2014MY Infiniti vehicles is 5000miles or 6 months whichever comes first.

If your prepaid maintenance is scheduled for 3 Months or 3000 miles, that is okay too, however, I would ask the retailer for a Infiniti prepaid maintenance plan vs what you currently have for the simple fact that the Infiniti plan is custom tailored to maintain your vehicle, and not a generic off the shelf product.

Someone mentioned Synthetic oil change intervals. Engine oil is hygroscopic, as well as, a lubricant. The engine oil will encapsulate dirt and moisture in order to maintain its lubricating properties. Therefore, regardless of the type of oil you use, you should always follow the recommended maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone,

I purchased maintenance plan for 5 years which includes every oil change for every 3 months or 3000 miles from Frontier Infiniti in Santa Clara. I did not know back then because my car was still on delivery until I found out later on from the maintenance booklet that says every 5000 miles.

I called them back today to see why I got sold 3000 miles one or every 3 months. The Finance lady told me, the booklet is not correct and there should be only 3000 miles (3 months) or 7500 miles (6 months). I know that is the maintenance for G but Q isn't different? (I know it is the same engine too).

Can someone clarify me this especially from members who work for dealership or Infiniti?

Thanks.
(quick caveat before I jump on my soap box. I do not speak on behalf of Infiniti, all opinions mentioned below are merely that...the opinions of one technician and voluntary brand advocate)
This makes me angry. :mad: ...Do they not know that you can check this information, and then take it to the internet to discuss???

The people in finance are there to work the deal, and go over the available options you can add to your purchase. When I did my deal I went with the 10(maybe 70mo)/100K Elite warranty and some tire and wheel protection. The warranty was a genuine Infiniti product, the tire warranty was not. In some states dealers are allowed to sell contract services where only the selling dealer is contracted to offer or perform any repair/modification/warranty of a specific item. A few examples are dealers who are selling remote starters, non Infiniti extended warranties or service contracts are often only redeemable at the selling dealer. Some of these are legitimate services that meet the needs of the prospective new owners, I bought a few and encourage others to in many instances.

This is the step of the process where many new purchasers become disenfranchised with dealers. The sales tactics and profit margins employed in the F&I office can be a little less than honest (at some facilities). One of the reasons I personally drive to work and pass several Infiniti (as well as other luxury branded) dealers is to come to one where I know the people are more honest than average. (I am sure Sinecure does the same)

The person you spoke with the selling you a load.
The maintenance schedule in the owners manual is what is recommended on ALL 2014 Infiniti models. The intervals should be 5K for oil and filter as well as tire rotations. If your contract does not cover that I would suggest they put you in a contract that will cover the new requirements of the 2014 maintenance schedule.

This type of mis-information makes all of us look bad and un-trustworthy...trust me there are many of us in the real world that really do care and want the best for new owners.

/soapbox

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@sincure, thanks for the offer (since I already bought it) but I will keep in mind for anyone who is looking into Infiniti to send it straight to you. (I am not sure your actual name but with your nickname, I am sure they will send him to you)

I wish I had time to research q50 but I needed a car immediately. What could it be wrong with Japanese car especially Infiniti? It is not my first Infiniti anyway. I did not know there is such forum before. I found it after I purchased the car (it is my fault).

I am usually the type who does not buy this kind of thing but for some reason, I was looking for convenience this time. Knowing the cost of living in Bay Area is high, I am assuming it is a good deal to get 5 years, 3750 miles for $2500.
I did not see the factory maintenance booklet so I was not aware it was 5000 miles or 6 months.

The finance guy asked me my annual mileage and based on my calculation of my daily commute and weekend, it would be 12K to 14K annually. Then he said, I should go with 3750 miles.

Today, I went to dealer to find out more since telephone seems very useless.
I said the factory recommended interval is 5000 miles or 6 months, why you were selling me 3000 miles one. It is a hassle for me to come 4 times a year for oil change and I have to pay unnecessarily. He said, their plan is better to give 3000 miles. Then I came to question him that why I need to change syntactic oil every 3000 miles. It is such a waste.
It made me to question what kind of oil they use then. He answered that it is blended oil which I am not sure what that means and he just said blend without further explanation.
I doubted that he knew what he was talking about and I also doubted that their system is updated for Q50 also which it seemed he was not very aware about 5000 miles. He kept insisting that Infiniti car is either 3750 or 7500, depending on annual mileage.

@SteveTheTech, the guy was very old school. I don't think he is even aware about online forum or discussion. Even I saw he is still using a huge and noisy printer. I guess he won't care and his job is trying to sell things. I don't mind paying extra for reasonable price but I hate it when I feel cheated because they want to make more money out of you. I decided to get it from Frontier Infiniti because it was the first dealer and the sales guy was not very pushy and willing to work the deal with me, but it was different when it went to the finance guy.
It was late already and I was already exhausted and try to get things done soon.

My question, how much does it cost for Q50 regular maintenance if I pay it as it goes? My old G37 was around $75 for oil change and additional for tire rotation.
And how much is major maintenance cost like 30K costs roughly?
I am asking the price when it is done at the dealership? Q50 is still new and I would rather go to dealership for now.
I could use the number to estimate if they actually overprice me.

Thanks everyone for the support and opinions.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They recommended to me to do oil changes every 6 months.
I thought it was due to mileage.
I'm on a lease with 10k a year which is lower mileage.

It does seem odd to me anyway that you would need to change synthetic oil every 3 months / 3000 miles.
I don't have any insight into that.

Can you return the maintenance package?

BTW, I used the same dealer. ;)
Did you buy their maintenance package? It seems you got 5000 miles correct and it is only one guy in finance office.
For some reason, this finance guy thinks I am full of it.
I have nothing against the dealer. My salesmen was great and try to be as helpful as possible!
I will see if I could get refund on this since I haven't used it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yesterday went for my first oil change, at my dealer. Bought their lifetime oil change deal for $349. All oil changes (every 5K miles, up to 3 times per year) are now at no additional cost (they use a synthetic blend). They hand wash the car, too.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
toinfiniti. My real name is Randy.

We use those stupid old printers because the forms are multi-part carbon forms and you need an impact printer to make those work. It's pretty silly, but that's california.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yesterday went for my first oil change, at my dealer. Bought their lifetime oil change deal for $349. All oil changes (every 5K miles, up to 3 times per year) are now at no additional cost (they use a synthetic blend). They hand wash the car, too.
I sure wish dealers here offered that... I'd be all over lifetime oil changes at that price. I still do pretty well between yelp, dealer coupons and so forth but still..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's a heck of a deal. What do they mean by lifetime? End of warranty or end of life on the car?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.