Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys. Let me set the record straight, i love my Q50. Its not perfect, but its a great car. (best i've had by miles).

I just think that being an early adopter and having an early build date, its worth mentioning some things in case Infinity reads these forums, and can fix the user experience for the next folks, and maybe us, guinea pigs, via updates. Here are a few things i've noticed.

Issues i've had:

*Invalid Key ID error preventing starting engine is a problem.
*Nanny Tech disables (partially) after going over bumps until engine restart
*inTouch Apps are still missing
*Fuel Economy not anywhere near epa for me
*Backup camera resolution too low to see detail. (feels cheap, contrast/brightness tweaks didn't help too much)
*Snowfall makes front bumper sensors go haywire, constantly warning of imminent collision
*inTouch freezes on occasion needing a reboot
*High-pitched loud noise coming from engine compartment when parked and turned on
*Wind Noise from driver side window. (seal/mirror related?)

Possible Improvements:

*add RDS Text in HD radio (song, artist, why do we have to press 3 buttons to get to it???)
*memory of which app was running on inTouch screen last
*memory of latest "driving mode" to stay
*expedite boot time of inTouch
*Defrost disables automatically
*Remote Start via App (should be able via software only but what a huge feature)
*ability to select nanny tech to stay on after start by default
*easy 3D/2D map switch on map display (vs only via voice commands)
*Radio Station scan only able to display around 10 stations. Way more in my market. Extend scroll to show more.
*Voice recognition engine is not precise
*Heated seats button requires looking at screen to see which mode is selected (needing multiple presses to get it right)
*inTouch touch sensitivity/response is very low.
*inTouch is a fingerprint magnet (need anti-glare/anti-fingerprint coating similar to top screen)
*SeriusXM doesn't provide station images like other receivers.
*No cigarette lighter power outlet outside of glove compartment (for accessories)
*Ability to fine-tune audio equalizer outside of simple treble and bass. (wishful thinking)
*Ability to select something other than map on the top display by default by swiping up from inTouch or something.

Did i miss anything?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Moving to Problems & Solutions..

Also, as for the rear view camera resolution, I find it much better once you've gone in and messed around with the black/contrast/brightness settings.

Try this. DO IT WITH THE CAMERA ON - Not with the map displaying on the upper display.

Go to Settings, Display. Choose the upper display.
Turn Brightness up a couple clicks (press the plus button two or three times)
Turn Contrast Down a couple clicks (press the minus button two or three times)
Turn Black Level up a couple clicks.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The issue you had should take it to your dealer to fix. Make sure you have the latest software update. The backup screen display can be adjusted (brightness, contrast and black level) to make it looks better. The EPA you getting is all depend on your environment and driving habit. I don't think it related to your Q50 since it's brand new car. Wind noises, yeah I got them. I need to talk to my dealer about it next time I do my oil change.
As for improvement:
HD radio artist and song title is there. You have to press the >> on go to the next screen to see it. I know, they should put all information in one screen. Poor design I would say.
I do agree with all last setting should be retain. Hopefully they do that on future update.
2D/3D map can switch by just using voice command by saying 2D Map or 3D Map. Voice command is pretty good. You just have to say it slowly.
As for the audio, looks for a thread regarding Bose setting on the Q50. It sound pretty good with you set it correctly. It's nice to have EQ setting, but for now, it's good enough for a stock sound system.
You can display MPG # along with Maps on the Nav screen. There are some other things it can display other than just the maps. Press the "OK" button on the rotary knob to bring up the menu.

Issues i've had:

*Invalid Key ID error preventing starting engine is a problem.
*Nanny Tech disables (partially) after going over bumps until engine restart
*Fuel Economy not anywhere near epa for me
*Backup camera resolution too low to see detail. (feels cheap)
*Snowfall makes front bumper sensors go haywire, constantly warning of imminent collision
*inTouch freezes on occasion needing a reboot
*High-pitched loud noise coming from engine compartment when parked and turned on

Possible Improvements:

*add RDS Text in HD radio (song, artist, why is it missing???)
*memory of which app was running on inTouch screen last
*memory of latest "driving mode" to stay
*expedite boot time of inTouch
*Defrost disables automatically
*Remote Start via App (should be able via software only but what a huge feature)
*ability to select nanny tech to stay on after start by default
*easy 3D/2D map switch on map display
*Radio Station scan only able to display around 10 stations. Way more in my market. Extend scroll to show more.
*Voice recognition engine is not precise
*Heated seats button requires looking at screen to see which mode is selected (needing multiple presses to get it right)
*inTouch touch sensitivity/response is very low.
*inTouch is a fingerprint magnet (need anti-glare/anti-fingerprint coating similar to top screen)
*SeriusXM doesn't provide station images like other receivers.
*No cigarette lighter power outlet outside of glove compartment (for accessories)
*Ability to fine-tune audio equalizer outside of simple treble and bass. (wishful thinking)
*Ability to select something other than map on the top display by default by swiping up from inTouch or something.

Did i miss anything?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Improvement I wants to see on future update:
*More DAS setting for steering weight and respond. The current selection is too limited.
*Be able to remove the audio display on the bottom of the Nav screen. It's a waste of real estate when displaying the map.
*My MPG # per tank of gas is always about +3mpg more than actual calculated MPG
*Traction control is way too sensitive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The issues I have experienced so far that are mentioned in this thread are:

*Excessive wind noise on driver side, probably having to do with the side mirror (glad someone else finally experienced this)
*Poor quality on backup camera (have tweaked settings and still feel my G37 was better)
*Traction control IS way too sensitive; partially alleviated in sport but still an issue on low speed turns out of parking lots or stoplights, etc.
*Safety tech disabling or reacting when going over bumps or when taking turns with nearby objects

The other stuff I either haven't experienced or felt it was relatively minor and thus didn't care enough to complain yet. :p

The other issue (not mentioned in this thread) has been with a constant rattle at low speeds from the dash/intouch area. They verified the issue, tore apart my entire dash and attributed the rattle to a loose radio bracket. Issue persists even after they taped it up so they said next step is to have an engineer look at it...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining about this (I love the car). I would like to chime in too since I am one of the early adopters who are really important for Infiniti numbers and marketing. We deserve some kind of help since we took a risk. Our feedback is actually for the company to make a great thing and to be successful so I am thinking this is a good treat and hopefully Infiniti reads this.

My issues are similar to you (I don't live in Extreme Cold weather and no snow):
*Fuel Economy not anywhere near epa for me (as advertised)

*Backup camera resolution too low to see detail. (feels cheap)
@InfinitiPlusOne and @Simpsons, the solution provided works to the extend to be clearer but not the resolution. I feel for a car like Q50 deserves a higher quality camera not the same camera used in 20K cars. This seems like cost cutting which I find it not making sense if they are giving RFT tires (more expensive) and performs real bad. I don't remember G camera was better than this because I was not used to use camera for backing up back then.

*HIGH PItch noise when ac/fan is running

*Speed up the intouch loading (I find this is possible from software fix)

P.S. I got paid or given a product to be beta tester but I have to pay for this. The least they could do is to give back or fix something. :) Otherwise, Q50 will be my last Infiniti brand :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The issues I have experienced so far that are mentioned in this thread are:

*Excessive ind noise on driver side, probably having to do with the side mirror (glad someone else finally experienced this)
*Poor quality on backup camera (have tweaked settings and still feel my G37 was better)
*Traction control IS way too sensitive; partially alleviated in sport but still an issue on low speed turns out of parking lots or stoplights, etc.
*Safety tech disabling or reacting when going over bumps or when taking turns with nearby objects

The other stuff I either haven't experienced or felt it was relatively minor and thus didn't care enough to complain yet. :p

The other issue (not mentioned in this thread) has been with a constant rattle at low speeds from the dash/intouch area. They verified the issue, tore apart my entire dash and attributed the rattle to a loose radio bracket. Issue persists even after they taped it up so they said next step is to have an engineer look at it...

I have the rattle too, but i attributed it to something in my glove compartment. Haven't really looked into it yet. Believe it or not, all of my observations are done with only 700 miles on odometer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Q50S Hybrid

* Smoother braking action when comming to a stop. Clear up the lurch / surge.

* The times the hybrid engine kicks in doesn't always make sense. For example I was cruising at 40MPH at about 1100RPM this morning. It seems like a good time to go into EV mode but it never did. I found the slingshot effect works best to get EV to kick in. Give it good acceleration, let your foot off the peddle and EV kicks in within a few seconds.
In the grander scheme of things, it seems like the times the car switches to EV could be improved a bit.

* More granularity on the sound options for the Bose Stereo.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Something that someone from Infiniti could spot it right away. Title seems good already but probably changing it to something that the company will spot it right away. Isn't this one of the reasons for this forum?
With this being the premier Q50 message forum on the internet, I'll bet you a large sum that we do and have had people from Infiniti lurking on these forums from day one and we've known several Infiniti interns who have registered and become users for a period of time.

They're out there....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wind noise.

I've noticed it too. On mine it appears to be coming from the upper rear corner of the door. If I put my fingers up there and push on the seal the wind noise seems to go away.

I took a close look at the seal on the door frame and I have a feeling that the seal either isn't installed properly or there's a flaw in the design of it. Look closely and there's a lip on the seal that looks as if it should fit under the edge of the black plastic trim on the inside of the window frame. At the bottom it does fit under the trim. At the top there's a good 1/8" gap. The wind noise my be the result of not getting a tight seal against the door frame because the seal isn't where it's supposed to be.

I can't say that with certainty but the circumstantial evidence suggests it.

Added info. Today it was plenty cold and the wind has been gusting to 26 mph. The car was sitting at work, drivers side broadside to the wind. When I got in the car and closed the door, I could clearly hear and feel wind leakage around the upper rear corner of the door frame. So, I'm pretty convinced that is the source of the wind noise when driving. When I got home I opened up the rear door and looked at the way the front door seal is pressing against the door frame. The seal in the upper corner isn't good at all. I think the air is leaking in around the seal and behind the black window frame trim on the inside of the door. Another missed detail.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've noticed it too. On mine it appears to be coming from the upper rear corner of the door. If I put my fingers up there and push on the seal the wind noise seems to go away.

I took a close look at the seal on the door frame and I have a feeling that the seal either isn't installed properly or there's a flaw in the design of it. Look closely and there's a lip on the seal that looks as if it should fit under the edge of the black plastic trim on the inside of the window frame. At the bottom it does fit under the trim. At the top there's a good 1/8" gap. The wind noise my be the result of not getting a tight seal against the door frame because the seal isn't where it's supposed to be.

I can't say that with certainty but the circumstantial evidence suggests it.
If not troublesome, do you have some picture? I don't see it on mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great, feels like I just bought a prototype car, but love its power.

How often would you guys say the inTouch stalls? Mine hasn't yet, but I've only had it a few days.
I have the latest update and it freezes only about once every two weeks needing a volume button hold to reboot. Often happens if i try to adjust volume from steering wheel while system still booting up. Not a big issue but annoying.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That would tell ME not to adjust anything for the first 45 seconds. One thing I've adjusted to is turning off the audio before turning off the car.
Right, that's the idea. Its hard to kill your habits from G37 though, or leave garage with music blasting without being able to quiet it down for 45-60 seconds.

I've even had a phone call come though while the system was still loading, and since system booted enough to pickup the phone but not enough to tell me about it still being on and then froze solid, i was driving around with the person listening to me talking about "that a$$hole" always calling and hanging up :eek: :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice list, Descriminator. Thanks.

Additions to Improvements:
* Provide Intouch software version (to see ourselves if its latest or not. I shouldn't have to go to dealer to find its 1.9)
* RWD has heated seats like AWD but doesnt have heated steering. Why should that be the only (option feature) difference between RWD and AWD.
* Texting - Receive for iphone works but send doesn't work. Understood from fellow forum contributors that its a iphone security, however that's something Infiniti should have resolved with Apple before release. If you don't agree with that :), then another argument: lack of compatibility with newer phone models (iphone 5 is hardly new now and doesn't show up in the supplied matrix)
* Phonebook -
a. No easy feature to add new contact manually, only auto sync'ing works.
b. Unable to differently label multiple phone names for same contact, example John mobile and work will get imported/sync'ed as just John. This results in too many step clicks to be made to get to the number you need dialed.

Being in software business, I can understand fixing all Intouch issues/features is lower in priority than the car itself (engine/transmission/steering/hybrid...) and one needs to go to market at some point to beat / make a statement to the competition. However, Nissan/ Infiniti will have greater client sat and advocates (in us) if they provide better and periodical information on state of issues being work on and listing of fixes making it into the next release. The guessing and assumptions and lack of what's going on is at times overshadowing the true aspects of the car's main purpose - ie - it really really drives **** good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.