Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I finally got my Quaife LSD QDF21L installed today. It made a huge difference in feel and power and it now feels as if both wheels are pushing the car. Most inportantly its quite and no longer slips making tcs (VDC) come on when turning corners ore when making right turns at intersections which was always scary and annoying for me.
Another plus is that the shifts seem much better and refined with no shift shocks. I thinks its due to the fact that LSD is putting down as much power as possible without breaking traction.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hi guys I finally got my Quaife LSD QDF21L installed today.
Did you install it or have a shop perform the installation. If the latter, can you share what the labor charge was?

I have an appointment scheduled in mid-August for the LSD install.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you install it or have a shop perform the installation. If the latter, can you share what the labor charge was?

I have an appointment scheduled in mid-August for the LSD install.
The labor was really cheap as I had the shop install it. It was only $300 dollars and I got all the supplies myself all OEM including the kit and the Nissan OEM differential gasket maker. I also got the mid exhaust pipe gasket as I don’t want to reuse the old ones. But the most important thing for me was the OEM bearings kit and Nissan gasket maker as I knew that it will last almost the life of the car and I wanted do it right.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
... and the Nissan OEM differential gasket maker.
Can you share the P/N for this gasket maker? Is it like Permatex RTV sealant?

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you share the P/N for this gasket maker? Is it like Permatex RTV sealant?
999MP-1217HP OEM Nissan Fluid Gasket (RTV)

Nissan 1217H is a high performance temperature vulcanized (RTV) silicone commonly used as a 'form in place gasket.' It has good elasticity, temperature and chemical resistance when cured. It is highly resistant to oils such as motor oil, transmission fluid or gear oil. It is not recommended for sealing engine coolant.
This is the OEM Nissan Fluid Gasket (RTV) that is found in many of their gasket kits and on your engine from the factory. This easy-to-use tube fits in the common caulk gun making application simple! Use to seal timing covers, transmissions, differentials, and more!

·
Premium Member
18 RS Q50 RWD
194 Posts
Reason(s) you chose the Quaife over the other helical available to us? I see more and more of them going in lately

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,811 Posts
Reason(s) you chose the Quaife over the other helical available to us? I see more and more of them going in lately
The Quaife is my preference. I have one in the front and the Z1 helical LSD in the rear. In hard cornering if the rear wheel lifts it will spin. Not with the Quaife LSD. I wish I had one in the back as well! To much $ to change it now. Live n learn.

Reactions: Abstract rude

·
Premium Member
18 RS Q50 RWD
194 Posts
The Quaife is my preference. I have one in the front and the Z1 helical LSD in the rear. In hard cornering if the rear wheel lifts it will spin. Not with the Quaife LSD. I wish I had one in the back as well! To much $ to change it now. Live n learn.
Like a Wavetrac without the friction surfaces. yea, that would be an attractive feature

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The reason why I choose the Quaife over the other ones like Z1 or Wavetrac is because of longevity, fitment and it’s smooth and quite operation. This was all also based off research and feedback from other users and how the wavetrac has been known to be a little bit of noisier and has been on backorder due to fitment issues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm looking to do the Traction Concepts LSD. Local drivetrain shop wanted 9hrs and $1,300 to do it. Lol.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm looking to do the Traction Concepts LSD. Local drivetrain shop wanted 9hrs and $1,300 to do it. Lol.
I'm wondering how the OP scored only a $300 labor bill. I've heard dealership labor rates are now in the $180/hr range.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I'm wondering how the OP scored only a $300 labor bill. I've heard dealership labor rates are now in the $180/hr range.
Not sure what part of the world you are referring to. Costs are going up but at local dealers here it is more like $130.00. Even the Mercedes dealer is at $135.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,790 Posts
$135/hr here.

·
Premium Member
18 RS Q50 RWD
194 Posts
the z1 advantage is that you can get the built pumpkin and spend 5hrs installing by yourself. It’s also silent and bulletproof. Not great on wet streets, but doubt any of them are.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,811 Posts
the z1 advantage is that you can get the built pumpkin and spend 5hrs installing by yourself. It’s also silent and bulletproof. Not great on wet streets, but doubt any of them are.

View attachment 100801
That's what I did. Shipping was a PITA though.

·
Premium Member
18 RS Q50 RWD
194 Posts
That's what I did. Shipping was a PITA though.
no doubt. which is the main reason why I kept the oem. It’s been laying around forever waiting for me to get the Traction Concepts in for my backup. may never happen, due to me being boost pansy that the z1 basically laughs at.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,811 Posts
no doubt. which is the main reason why I kept the oem. It’s been laying around forever waiting for me to get the Traction Concepts in for my backup. may never happen, due to me being boost pansy that the z1 basically laughs at.
The Z1 LSD works very well. I only under very limited conditions on a hard corner get wheel lift. There is a hump in the corner and I occasionally get wheel lift. VDC activates just like the OEM open diff. So it's not any worse than OEM. But in all other situations works just fine.

The Quaife is a better mousetrap but not all that much different. On glare ice both rear wheels spin with the Z1. I haven't driven a Quaife LSD in the rear yet so I can't even verify if it will not spin during wheel lift. When I get my GT-R I'll know. 😉

Reactions: Batell
1 - 17 of 17 Posts