Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Red Sport RWD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have AMS full downpipes, AMS Red Alpha Race Heat Exchanger, & MBRP Catback exhaust on a stock tune. I understand that aftermarket intakes on this platform aren’t optimal, but it just doesn’t make sense how the AMS air intake doesn’t provide at least a TAD of a performance increase for vehicles with stock tunes. Paying $500 for a performance hinderance just doesn’t sit right with me. I saw a dyno chart in an earlier thread showing evidence that the stock air intakes produce more WHP than the AMS. Does this still apply to me even with mods I mentioned above?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I currently have AMS full downpipes, AMS Red Alpha Race Heat Exchanger, & MBRP Catback exhaust on a stock tune. I understand that aftermarket intakes on this platform aren’t optimal, but it just doesn’t make sense how the AMS air intake doesn’t provide at least a TAD of a performance increase for vehicles with stock tunes. Paying $500 for a performance hinderance just doesn’t sit right with me. I saw a dyno chart in an earlier thread showing evidence that the stock air intakes produce more WHP than the AMS. Does this still apply to me even with mods I mentioned above?
The stock boxes are pretty damn good. CAI don’t do much on our platform from what I have read and gathered

·
Super Moderator
3,655 Posts
I currently have AMS full downpipes, AMS Red Alpha Race Heat Exchanger, & MBRP Catback exhaust on a stock tune.

Does this still apply to me even with mods I mentioned above?
Yes.

If and when you get tuned, the AMS Intakes contribute a modest bump in hp of 10-15 at the high rpm, and provide equivalent torque #'s in the low rpm, vs a slight loss, yes loss, in torque #'s with a stock tune.

IMO, a better strategy for the intakes is to replace the stock air filters with a performance dry filter, like aFe, and replace the stock inlet piping with the BMS silicone inlets:

https://burgertuning.com/collections/infiniti-q50-q60/products/q50-inlets

You can then use the leftover $350 for other mods in your mod budget.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
If I may add, AMS claims and has a dyno graph of their intakes tuned and on factory tune.

You can find it on their website.

There is zero gain below 5000 rpm.

IIRC, the gain is above 5500.

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
164 Posts
They sound super nice though :devilish:!

I wish I had gone with AMS LDP's instead in retrospect (will be correcting my error soon).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.