Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on purchasing a Q50 in the coming months, but I live about ~70 miles from the closest Infiniti dealer. I was wondering about scheduled maintenance and things like that. I've been told I can take an Infiniti to a Nissan dealer and have it serviced there, but would it be the same quality of service?

Would you guys recommend making the drive to an Infiniti dealer to get all my servicing done, or would a Nissan dealer be just as good?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've worked on the VQ plenty in my 2010 G37S. It's all nissan parts and pretty easy to work on. I doubt the Q will be much different. Only thing you would need to go to the dealer for is warranty work. Changing the oil, air filters, cabin filters - all stuff you can do yourself (or a decent local shop can do, it's not rocket science). Tire rotations are free at discount tire and an alignment can be done at any shop with a good updated alignment machine. So no, being near an infiniti dealership should not be a concern.

They give you a freebie for your first oil change, so it may worth the drive for that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would recommend at least having your 30k, 60k, and 90k check ups at the Infiniti dealership. Just order the oil filter from the Infiniti dealer and bring it with you to the nissan dealer when you go for an oil change.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! This alleviates a lot of my concern, not that I would mind the drive time in my Q50 to the dealership :D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I've only needed regular maintenance for my G35(2nd generation G), and most of the time I've used a local Nissan dealership. For the 30,000 mile service, I got the quote from the Nissan dealer, went to the Infiniti dealer to compare, and they matched the Nissan dealer's price. It pays to shop around. Bottom line, for maintenance use which ever is closest and cheapest(as long as it's Nissan).

·
Registered
55 Posts
What's special about the infiniti oil filter? Last I checked, it's actually a Nissan Oil filter.
Nothing. Use whatever filter brand you like. I do not want to start a filter-brand-flame-war here, but the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for a dealer or manufacturer to deny warranty coverage because you used, say, an orange Fram oil filter.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

Now, if that little cheapie filter blew its cardboard guts apart and was thereby ingested into your shiny new Q50's engine, that's a different story. You are screwed then. Good luck getting a lawyer and suing Fram for your repair costs. :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nothing. Use whatever filter brand you like. I do not want to start a filter-brand-flame-war here, but the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for a dealer or manufacturer to deny warranty coverage because you used, say, an orange Fram oil filter.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

Now, if that little cheapie filter blew its cardboard guts apart and was thereby ingested into your shiny new Q50's engine, that's a different story. You are screwed then. Good luck getting a lawyer and suing Fram for your repair costs. :eek:
What I was actually implying was that the infiniti/nissan filters aren't very good and you're better off with something like a Purolator Pure One. You're also better off using your own synthetic oil (granted it meets the manufacturer spec) as the standard for Infiniti dealers is a semi-synthetic. Point is, taking it to the dealer for service isn't always in your best interest or your cars'. It meets the minimum requirements, but that's about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What I was actually implying was that the infiniti/nissan filters aren't very good and you're better off with something like a Purolator Pure One.
That's the dangerous thing about implying things on the Internet. People like me sometimes misconstrue it. :D

I agree with you 100 percent. OEM filters are often produced by aftermarket manufacturers, then relabeled and sold for triple what the equivalent filter would be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's the dangerous thing about implying things on the Internet. People like me sometimes misconstrue it. :D

I agree with you 100 percent. OEM filters are often produced by aftermarket manufacturers, then relabeled and sold for triple what the equivalent filter would be.
Gotcha. You're 100% right on the manufacturer comment. And Fram, aside from their high end stuff, isn't great. I wouldn't use in any of my cars.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Completely off topic but I was thinking about going with the black premium but I'm not feeling the 17". How much extra is the 19" on a premium package ?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Package

Easy math... Most dealers sell PrePaid maintenance programs. Simply add up the retail charge for each interval during ownership. Then look at total cost of pre paid and usually it is well worth the purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts

so is engine oil. it's not like its infiniti engine oil.

If you know what to buy (good quality) you can buy better quality for the same price (even cheaper)

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
It's true I don't think there is really any auto manufacturer out there that makes their own oils and lubricant. They are out sourced but relabled to their own brand.

There are so much more better brands out there for oils. like Motul for example that is their focus. They have been around for a while. The only thing is it get get pretty expensive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gotcha. You're 100% right on the manufacturer comment. And Fram, aside from their high end stuff, isn't great. I wouldn't use in any of my cars.
I would go with the best filter out there. Oil and oil filters is not something you should cheap out on. These things are crucial to your vehicles cooling components for the engine. I'd rather pay the extra for a piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Does it work out to be cheaper when you buy prepaid maintenance plans from infiniti?
It may vary. But for us, the prepaid maintenance plan saves 25-30% off the price of paying individually for all the scheduled maintenance. That assumes you would have done all the scheduled maintenance (there are two schedules and you can buy just the one you want).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.