·
Registered
2019 Q50 Luxe RWD
888 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts
I would suggest that any JB4 users who want a launch mode or 2 step mode go on n54tech to the q50/60 thread and bombard Terry/Ando requesting it. So far he's ignored all of my probably dozen requests
Ddnspider - Any progress on launch control? FYI, I have FI CBE on order that should be delivered in the next week or so. Plan to install that along with BMS WMI kit I have sitting here. Hoping CBE will improve turbo lag / spool up a bit.

Call me crazy, but has anyone thought about a way to "pre-spool" or otherwise improve time from zero to target boost from a dig? Other than brake boosting. I've read up a bit on the concept of a 2-step as Ddnspider has suggested.

Electric TorqueAmp or these nitrous kits made specifically for spooling? Bring on the laughs/critiques, I can take it.
Turbo Nitrous System
https://www.nitrousexpress.com/instaboost-digital-efi-nitrous-system-10lb-bottle-20928.asp

Looking at Dragy leaderboards, the big difference I see in ECUtek vs. JB4 cars is 0-10 and 0-20 mph times. Honestly not sure how a tune accomplishes this (or is it something else I'm missing?).

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
2 step circuit concept is working on a lab bench and is repeatable. Still a ways to go before it's on the car. I need a few more parts and some additional testing. Once that's done, I'm going to try it with 1 or 2 cylinders and see if it immediately throws a code or puts the car in limp mode. Throwing a code is fine since we can clear it, limp mode is a deal breaker.

As far as intakes spooling faster I don't think you'll see a tangible improvement there. At low rpm low load there is less restriction on the air filters since there is less flow. Running open downpipes would be a way to spool faster but isn't practical. It's why I've wanted to add an exhaust cutout to the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ddnspider - Any progress on launch control? FYI, I have FI CBE on order that should be delivered in the next week or so. Plan to install that along with BMS WMI kit I have sitting here. Hoping CBE will improve turbo lag / spool up a bit.

Call me crazy, but has anyone thought about a way to "pre-spool" or otherwise improve time from zero to target boost from a dig? Other than brake boosting. I've read up a bit on the concept of a 2-step as Ddnspider has suggested.

Electric TorqueAmp or these nitrous kits made specifically for spooling? Bring on the laughs/critiques, I can take it.
Turbo Nitrous System
https://www.nitrousexpress.com/instaboost-digital-efi-nitrous-system-10lb-bottle-20928.asp

Looking at Dragy leaderboards, the big difference I see in ECUtek vs. JB4 cars is 0-10 and 0-20 mph times. Honestly not sure how a tune accomplishes this (or is it something else I'm missing?).
the main difference in launching with ecutek and Jb4 is that Ecutek allows to have the throttle fully open up in 1st gear where on the stock tune it’s only partially open. That is why you see such a big difference in 0-20 times

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts
As far as intakes spooling faster I don't think you'll see a tangible improvement there. At low rpm low load there is less restriction on the air filters since there is less flow.
Yeah, makes sense. I just wish there were some side-by-side tests of CFM/pressure loss for stock vs. various aftermarket CAIs out there. Intuitively any air filter would have to cause some restriction, but maybe not until you get into the 500hp+ range.

Running open downpipes would be a way to spool faster but isn't practical. It's why I've wanted to add an exhaust cutout to the car.
Now that's interesting. Remote cutouts. Just for initial launch or during the full pull? Where would you locate in exhaust train? One after each LDP or a single where the Y-pipe converges? Electric or auto/vacuum activated?

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts
the main difference in launching with ecutek and Jb4 is that Ecutek allows to have the throttle fully open up in 1st gear where on the stock tune it’s only partially open. That is why you see such a big difference in 0-20 times
Really? Not saying I don't believe it, but why would Infiniti do that? On JB4, I see throttle at 100% in 1st gear. Does that mean just 100% of what the stock ECU programming is allowing?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Yeah, makes sense. I just wish there were some side-by-side tests of CFM/pressure loss for stock vs. various aftermarket CAIs out there. Intuitively any air filter would have to cause some restriction, but maybe not until you get into the 500hp+ range.

Now that's interesting. Remote cutouts. Just for initial launch or during the full pull? Where would you locate in exhaust train? One after each LDP or a single where the Y-pipe converges? Electric or auto/vacuum activated?
Also don't forget to add the surface area of both air filters. It's actually a rather large filter when you combine them.

Cutouts would be for the full pull and make more power at least boost too. Right after the downpipes would be a nice location for sure but require duals. Only place for a single is the y to mid pipe connection. I like electric but boost activated would be rowdy only at wot.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts
If you're familiar with a 2 step rev limiter, it doesn't just limit rpm, it usually intermittently cuts spark to each cylinder. This allows unburnt fuel into the hotside of the turbo which spools the turbo. You can build 5,10,20, 30 psi depending on the platform and the setup. It also can advance or retard timing to assist in building the boost. Usually it's retarded for a manual and advanced for an auto.
So, idea here is to have unburnt fuel pass into exhaust headers where it explodes due to heat and that kick starts the turbo? Like a "boom-boom" system (just from what I've read on the interwebs, no real experience here).

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts
So, idea here is to have unburnt fuel pass into exhaust headers where it explodes due to heat and that kick starts the turbo? Like a "boom-boom" system (just from what I've read on the interwebs, no real experience here).
*or maybe it's called "bang-bang" - read it in an article few days ago, can't find it right now.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
That's pretty much how a 2 step works. It was honestly hilarious when [email protected] said automatics don't use 2 steps. So ignorant. 2 steps are used all the time in drag racing on launches by autos and manuals to set an adjustable lower rev limiter and build boost on the starting line. And they work very well. It took my 3800lb manual Trans Am to sixty feet in 1.5 seconds multiple times and I was only running 8 psi.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts
That's pretty much how a 2 step works. It was honestly hilarious when [email protected] said automatics don't use 2 steps. So ignorant. 2 steps are used all the time in drag racing on launches by autos and manuals to set an adjustable lower rev limiter and build boost on the starting line. And they work very well. It took my 3800lb manual Trans Am to sixty feet in 1.5 seconds multiple times and I was only running 8 psi.
Got it. Any concerns about damage to turbine or back pressure on cylinder/exhaust manifold? And yes, I mentioned nitrous earlier as a spool up fix, so realize all of this comes with some risk!

Thoughts (from anyone) on using a small electric motor for pre-spooling? Sounds stupid I know, but I have an electric mountain bike that I made from a kit from this store: Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit With a 52V lithium battery it makes 1,500 watts (~2hp) instantly and is frighteningly fast on a bicycle. Don't know if it's feasible at all to mechanically connect to turbo, plus heat issues, etc.

Just seems like there has to be a simple fix out there to kick start the turbos.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You can't live on a 2 step but in very short durations there won't be any damage. As far as electric motors, there is only 1 that I know of that actually moves enough cfms to make power and its thousands of dollars and only recently released.

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
124 Posts
With the ecutek launch control you can leave on more boost than your tires can likely handle, results in an awd error if you push too hard

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
124 Posts
Really? Not saying I don't believe it, but why would Infiniti do that? On JB4, I see throttle at 100% in 1st gear. Does that mean just 100% of what the stock ECU programming is allowing?
I don't know what the JB4 is looking at but there is pedal input and then actual throttle angle. I can brake boost with the ecutek and still leave on 0 psi and it still leaves night and day compared to the jb4 even without engaging launch control

Reactions: Sleeper2017

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts
You can't live on a 2 step but in very short durations there won't be any damage. As far as electric motors, there is only 1 that I know of that actually moves enough cfms to make power and its thousands of dollars and only recently released.
Right, I guess can't be worse than using one of those nitrous kits to spool. No free lunch.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts
I don't know what the JB4 is looking at but there is pedal input and then actual throttle angle. I can brake boost with the ecutek and still leave on 0 psi and it still leaves night and day compared to the jb4 even without engaging launch control
Very Interesting. JB4 logs show both pedal and throttle %, but again what might be going on is that it's measuring relative to base ECU max for throttle, not absolute.

Reactions: Blackhawk77

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
93 Posts
Can anyone confirm this?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts