1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
76 Posts
My wife wants one. I presented the same arguments and was presented with "So" :D

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
97 Posts
Nissan isn't known for making the best CVTs.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
My wife wants one. I presented the same arguments and was presented with "So" :D
And this is what Nissan cares the most about.....the problem is, are there enough of wives out there that will even consider the QX55? I would venture to say not many that will make this venture a success.....simply, because INFINITI hasn't done enough to shore up its loyal (enthusiast) base which has made it difficult for us to say, "hey, take a look at this INFINITI....it's simply better at [insert your preference]".

·
Registered
777 Posts
We own the similar QX50 with the same power train. Good gas mileage after break in and plenty of pickup for highway driving. The QX50 handles very well at 75 MPH plus and does not feel as if it’s struggling at highway speeds with a comfortable smooth ride. Drawback would be the engine noise from inside cabin. Absolutely no CVT issues at all.

Not really concerned with racing or we would have purchased a SRT Jeep or similar.

Reactions: BlueZ and Q602B

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
The QX50 has great curb appeal and a stand out interior but mechanically and technology wise it's a rather lack luster entry in the segment and "NO ONE" wants a CVT in a luxury level product.
Making a more sporty looking version called the QX55 isn't a recipe for success if they don't address those two issues.

If Infiniti wanted to bring people to the table they should have either based the QX55 on the Ariya or used their old philosophy and used
the Q50/60 platforms and make the QX55 a call back to the FX series.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 Silver Sport VR30DDTT
161 Posts
We own the similar QX50 with the same power train. Good gas mileage after break in and plenty of pickup for highway driving. The QX50 handles very well at 75 MPH plus and does not feel as if it’s struggling at highway speeds with a comfortable smooth ride. Drawback would be the engine noise from inside cabin. Absolutely no CVT issues at all.

Not really concerned with racing or we would have purchased a SRT Jeep or similar.
I've had two as loaners, and what I really did not like was that it sounded like it was about break when on WOT. It is cringe-inducing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
2 things to add here from some one that spends time with the enthusiasts online (5% of the owners, the ones that want AMG fighters, v8tts, etc) and sells them for a living to the other 95% of the owners ( the ones that only car that it looks good, doesnt spend time in the shop, doesnt cost an arm and a leg and has features they want).

1. Only people that care about the CVT are the 5% and the media outlets (C&D, Motortrend, Etc.) Now and days their opinons dont hold enough weight anymore to impact the decisions of the masses. 7/10 people that buy these in real life, are buying it because of cost, styling, and practicality.

2. The QX60, QX50/55 and QX80 are the Brands life line. VR30 Q50s/Q60s will never sell the volume they need for the brand to continue staying in business. They are more a side project for Infiniti now but the same can be said at Audi, Lexus, Acura, Mazda and so on. Acura, the TLX will bring some buzz but they sell RDX and MDX to keep them afloat.

Unless you have an all electric powertrain that matches tesla performance and appeal in a sedan, the sedan market in the US, is declining at the same rate as the SUV demand is climbing. But that can swing back at some point. We can get into a whole discussion on how that would work but lets save that for another post.

Now does that mean that we are not going to get a Q50 replacement that will match or be better in performance and handling than the current gen with the tech we want? No, its in the works but we might have to face reality and accept that the 400hp we get in the next one doesnt come from a V6tt but maybe a Twin Electric motor set up. What does that mean for us? Well the aftermarket world is going to look different in the future. But hey, majority of the people that buy these arn't modding them like we are.

Now here is what I would like to see and this is something that is of my own option.

Q50 and Q55. Like the BMW 3 series and the new i3 Series. Basically where they make both a full gas version and a full eclectic platform version.

I mean think about it, if the new Z is really just an updated 370z with a VR and updated interior and sheet metal, why not apply that scheme to the Q50 and Q60? It would cost less for them to do that that and they can still offer it in markets that they wont introduce the Electric cars for a while. Im still of the "spread the cost of R&D to a few models vs just 1" midset.

This way not all of the eggs are in one basket if you get what I mean.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The QX50 has great curb appeal and a stand out interior but mechanically and technology wise it's a rather lack luster entry in the segment and "NO ONE" wants a CVT in a luxury level product.
Making a more sporty looking version called the QX55 isn't a recipe for success if they don't address those two issues.

If Infiniti wanted to bring people to the table they should have either based the QX55 on the Ariya or used their old philosophy and used
the Q50/60 platforms and make the QX55 a call back to the FX series.
The Ariya might be the platform that the QX70 goes on, at least thats what im thinking only from a cost stand point and instead of FWD/AWD, it be RWD/AWD. There is also a rumor that the QX70 ( name not solid but thats the place holder used currently) would be offered in both Full Electric (like the Ariya) and Range Extender (gas and plug in combo).

Honestly, I think that would be pretty cool to see.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
2 things to add here from some one that spends time with the enthusiasts online (5% of the owners, the ones that want AMG fighters, v8tts, etc) and sells them for a living to the other 95% of the owners ( the ones that only car that it looks good, doesnt spend time in the shop, doesnt cost an arm and a leg and has features they want).

1. Only people that care about the CVT are the 5% and the media outlets (C&D, Motortrend, Etc.) Now and days their opinons dont hold enough weight anymore to impact the decisions of the masses. 7/10 people that buy these in real life, are buying it because of cost, styling, and practicality.

2. The QX60, QX50/55 and QX80 are the Brands life line. VR30 Q50s/Q60s will never sell the volume they need for the brand to continue staying in business. They are more a side project for Infiniti now but the same can be said at Audi, Lexus, Acura, Mazda and so on. Acura, the TLX will bring some buzz but they sell RDX and MDX to keep them afloat.

Unless you have an all electric powertrain that matches tesla performance and appeal in a sedan, the sedan market in the US, is declining at the same rate as the SUV demand is climbing. But that can swing back at some point. We can get into a whole discussion on how that would work but lets save that for another post.

Now does that mean that we are not going to get a Q50 replacement that will match or be better in performance and handling than the current gen with the tech we want? No, its in the works but we might have to face reality and accept that the 400hp we get in the next one doesnt come from a V6tt but maybe a Twin Electric motor set up. What does that mean for us? Well the aftermarket world is going to look different in the future. But hey, majority of the people that buy these arn't modding them like we are.

Now here is what I would like to see and this is something that is of my own option.

Q50 and Q55. Like the BMW 3 series and the new i3 Series. Basically where they make both a full gas version and a full eclectic platform version.

I mean think about it, if the new Z is really just an updated 370z with a VR and updated interior and sheet metal, why not apply that scheme to the Q50 and Q60? It would cost less for them to do that that and they can still offer it in markets that they wont introduce the Electric cars for a while. Im still of the "spread the cost of R&D to a few models vs just 1" midset.

The Ariya might be the platform that the QX70 goes on, at least thats what im thinking only from a cost stand point and instead of FWD/AWD, it be RWD/AWD. There is also a rumor that the QX70 ( name not solid but thats the place holder used currently) would be offered in both Full Electric (like the Ariya) and Range Extender (gas and plug in combo).

Honestly, I think that would be pretty cool to see.
Agreed the SUV market is what allows for sports cars to still be sold today there isnt much money in it for the brands, although the Q50/60 are still massive sellers
for Infiniti and the defacto halo product of the brand so I wouldn't call them side-projects. The Q50 actually outsells its SUV counterpart multiple times over
despite the fact the QX50 was recently redesigned.

As for the whether or not the redesign of the Q50/60 will be electric that is unlikely at least for this upcoming redesign, the VR30 is too new and the Z wouldn't sell enough to justify the production costs of the 400z. I do agree they will go hybrid or EV at some point but the soonest that would happen is the mid-cycle refresh of the next generation car.

It would give Infiniti the time they need to develop a new dedicated performance platform for the GT-R which can in-turn be used in the Q50/60 to offset development costs
and finally let them replace the FM chassis.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Agreed the SUV market is what allows for sports cars to still be sold today there isnt much money in it for the brands, although the Q50/60 are still massive sellers
for Infiniti and the defacto halo product of the brand so I wouldn't call them side-projects. The Q50 actually outsells its SUV counterpart multiple times over
despite the fact the QX50 was recently redesigned.

As for the whether or not the redesign of the Q50/60 will be electric that is unlikely at least for this upcoming redesign, the VR30 is too new and the Z wouldn't sell enough to justify the production costs of the 400z. I do agree they will go hybrid or EV at some point but the soonest that would happen is the mid-cycle refresh of the next generation car.

It would give Infiniti the time they need to develop a new dedicated performance platform for the GT-R which can in-turn be used in the Q50/60 to offset development costs
and finally let them replace the FM chassis.
I agree with you on that. The best thing to happen to the brand was Goshen being ousted. Sure they fell hard but they and get any lower. Let's see what they do.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
777 Posts
Outstanding point about the CVT. People often parrot the automotive critics in the media having absolutely no clue what they’re talking about. Somewhat related a Infiniti executive replied to the media’s criticism of the interior dual screens. He commented on how the automotive media disliked the dual screens, yet the customers seemed to love them. We will find out how effective this criticism has been with several new Infiniti models arriving in the near future.

Reactions: BlueZ

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts

Honestly, there is no (real) argument against what you've just penned about the 95% buying contingent. Except for this one thing, brand loyalty. And for INFINITI (IMO), brand loyalty has been the one thing that has kept them afloat all these years....and that is beginning to wane. Sure, they will get enough 1st or even 2nd time buyers with their current product line. But, I will venture to say that these buyers won't become brand loyalists and will quickly move on to a better product that they will perceive to be the better purchase.

That 5% percent, unfortunately for INFINITI (considering its customer base vs potential customers), are not just enthusiasts, but they are INFINITI enthusiasts. And, compared to a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi, us INFINITI enthusiasts are very, very small. And that's a problem.....

When people reach a certain income level where luxury items become more of a free choice, you won't here most of them say, "I'm going out to buy me an INFINITI QX60". No, they will turn to a BMW and the likes and will probably stay with that brand for a long while.

Nissan has failed INFINITI in two ways: 1) Failed to keep their loyal base engaged....by chasing volume and 2) severely underfunded their chase for volume. Issues that I lay at the feet of Carlos Ghosn.

He's gone and I could not care any less how it was done.

Besides the one misstep the new team made by claiming INFINITI will become 'Nissan Plus', they do appear to be trying to get Nissan (and by extension, INFINITI) back on track. And sure, a lot of these new products were likely developed under Ghosn's watch. However, Ghosn also canceled the next-gen Z (as well as the next-gen FX that was in the prototype stage). Once the new team came in, the Z brand was revived....which this should bode well for the next-gen Q50 (and hopefully the Q60 as well).

And from this enthusiast's standpoint, having the most horsepower is not necessarily the trump card here. But walking up to your car and hopping inside of it.....that car needs to feel special and that it was built just for "ME". Right now, INFINITI doesn't have that car (outside of the Q60, which is one transmission short of being in my driveway right now).

And absolutely, becoming a consistent performer in the electrified market should be the aim....it's the future. INFINITI's electrification plans get high marks in my book. And they have an opportunity to greatly benefit from this. But, if these executions are not (leaders in) sport/tech/luxury as to be expected in the respective segments, then, it will be very difficult for me to root for the brand. Which is disappointing (for me) because Nissan has so much potential!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I feel like we can do a podcast on this whole topic with the few of us on here and maybe make some waves and maybe Infiniti would get word of it. I mean if they would just listen to us they might see some success from it.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
The 3 of us certainly have to talk about to cover more then a few pod-cast revolving around Nissan/Infiniti, I also already have an audio recording setup from my days
playing guitar!

Reactions: twin_snails

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 3 of us certainly have to talk about to cover more then a few pod-cast revolving around Nissan/Infiniti, I also already have an audio recording setup from my days
playing guitar!
We can start with Infiniti and end up touching on the whole industry. Could be epic plus there some members on here that have a decent following no instagram and youtube. Never know

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
I feel like we can do a podcast on this whole topic with the few of us on here and maybe make some waves and maybe Infiniti would get word of it. I mean if they would just listen to us they might see some success from it.

Let's do it. It can be a once a month, 30 minute session thing. Heck, we could have an 'INFINITIQ50.org Zoom Meeting'.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts