Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
20 years married, 27 years of relationship. Dealer already contacted and knows to call me when they have one we can see in person :giggle:
Did you intentionally drop the word 'happily' there? :LOL:

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Let's do it. It can be a once a month, 30 minute session thing. Heck, we could have an 'INFINITIQ50.org Zoom Meeting'.
Hah yeah I'd be down to shoot the stuff with ya guys.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
There are just too many choices out there for Infiniti to be product competitive. Price competitive is where Infiniti has always shined as they are willing to deal. I hope they make it. I am half way out having parted with mt QX70S and in a month or so, the 18' Q50 will be gone as well. I held out hope for the QX55 but that is gone now. Maybe infiniti could put more money into tech and less into prototypes and dumb concerts to introduce a car? idk, my 2 cents. I am sad to go but it had to happen. Maybe they will turn it around and I will be back.

·
Registered
376 Posts
What were the known causes of the CVT trannys?
Nissan claims to have fixed them on their newest models but I honestly don't buy it

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nissan claims to have fixed them on their newest models but I honestly don't buy it
I think just the fact it's a CVT in a sporty luxury vehicle. I've only driven a CVT once and that was in a Jeep Liberty rental car and it was terrible. It was a bad enough experience that I would never consider a vehicle for lease/purchase with a CVT. The QX60 has a CVT and I see those all over the place. To be fair, I've never driven an Infiniti with a CVT. Perhaps it's good enough for the 95% like @eljoker mentioned.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
They had a tendency to implode after around 50-80K miles, it was supposedly fixed for 2016 MY and later
but it certainly has soured many people's perception of those transmissions as a whole.

I just don't think they belong in a Luxury brand where the price to entry is over 38K when at the
end of the day they are a cost saving measure.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I've never liked CVT despite the fuel economy it gives - which deteriorates overtime anyway - but to be fair, I find them to be just OK. I never had problems with my 2 nissan vehicles relating to CVT, both went well over 100k miles...in fact my '09 maxima is now at ~190k miles. I'm probably one of the outliers who never had any issue so there must be something I'm doing wrong ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
It was issues by outsourced suppliers on their valve bodies. N9ssan required a certain PSI rating for solenoids, Bos9h failed to create quality enough solenoids for those line pressure resulting in poor CVT life. They do not implode. The belt usually just slips creating X amount if issues whether it be shudders, slips, no movement, or just MIL's.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
My wife drives a Rogue (2016). I like the vehicle in regards to design, layout, etc.... However, after owning that for 4 years now, her next vehicle will not have a CVT. I can't stand the driving dynamics of it and as mentioned earlier, the sound is very poor and distracting.

Reactions: Batell

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
It was issues by outsourced suppliers on their valve bodies. Nissan required a certain PSI rating for solenoids, Bosch failed to create quality enough solenoids for those line pressure resulting in poor CVT life. They do not implode. The belt usually just slips creating X amount if issues whether it be shudders, slips, no movement, or just MIL's.
An often sudden failure of a transmission due to poor design of one or multiple internal components? Yep I'm sticking with imploded.

But thanks for going into detail on the actual reasons behind the failures, although I'm sure that isn't the whole story or the problem would have been addressed far sooner
and involved far fewer changes.

Reactions: iSmkGrnBud

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have to travel around the sate now and then for work and must use a rental car (don't get reimbursed if I use my car...yeah is stupid). In doing so I've rented Nissan's with the CVT several times. It always sucks and I'm always relieved when I'm out of it and into my car. Even when they have it fake shift it still sucks. Putting that into an INFINITI is ricockulous.

·
Registered
113 Posts
An often sudden failure of a transmission due to poor design of one or multiple internal components? Yep I'm sticking with imploded.

But thanks for going into detail on the actual reasons behind the failures, although I'm sure that isn't the whole story or the problem would have been addressed far sooner
and involved far fewer changes.
What changes? Still the same ol CVT, just updated valve bodies, but to no surprise, they still fail. They do get overhauled instead of replaced most the time now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not sure how much weight this holds, but we seem to replace/repair QX60s CVTs more often but hardly any QX50s. I think since 2018, we have only done 3 QX50s if memory serves right at my store.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
From what I know, CVTs tend to not like torque. And since the QX55 is turbo'd and I'm going to assume it has that low end torque that we all are probably used to now.
I guess only time will tell if they actually fix those CVTs, they could have put the 7 Speed auto that we use so far they've been reliable for me.

Overall, I actually like it for what it is or whatever it's intended for. I do think it looks nice, I think the interior is amazing and looks great but I'm used to driving older cars as a DD but honestly I think almost every new car interior has come such a long way.
The look of the car looks good too, I think this would be a car my other half would love down the road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've spent some time with QX50 as loaner while my Q50S was at the dealership. The one I had was fully loaded with all the options. I'm surprised they had it as a loaner. It was an ok car to drive but I didn't like the cvt. I thought this QX55 would've been something new and fresh and I'm disappointed that it wasn't. I have a feeling the QX55 will flop. I could be wrong but I don't think it will be very successful. Its essentially another QX50 with a different body.

·
Registered
2016 QX50 Touring AWD Malbec Black 325 HP ~ the Original CUV
18 Posts
Previous Generation QX50 Owner and Enthusiast Here . . .

Yeah, the original Pioneer of the CUV movement, from '08 the old EX, EX35, EX37, then finally called the QX50, this ran from '08 to '17 built on a FMS ( Front Mid-Ship ) Platform.

In '16 it was stretched to add 3 inches to wheel base that resulted in 4 inched of added rear seat leg room, which meant adults could fit in the rear seats.

Having 325 HP in VQHR 3.7 Naturally Aspirated V6, 7 Speed ( Non-CVT ) Sport Mode, Manual Slap, Down Shift Rev Matching Trans, in a RWD based Platform with RWD Biased AWD is truly a pure Blast to Drive

Like a 370 Z but with a Back Seat and Room to Haul Stuff . . .

IMG_6844.jpg

Call it a Clown Shoe, or Japanese Built Shooting Brake, or Just an Outdated Ugly Hatchback, this thing really is a blast to drive, it scoots, sounds awesome in high band scooting, and is sleeper that can really surprise you and others passed on the road.

The 2021 QX55 Marketing contends its styling queues came form the larger old FX . . .

Infiniti-2022-the-brands-Infiniti-in-new-qx55-2022-new-Infiniti-qx55-2022.jpg

But sadly, what we have here is FWD based CUV with a mere roof line departure from the '19 onward QX50 sans the little " zig zag " chrome treatment and boxy body side.

In the Segment, the prior Gen's later model years, 2016 - 2017 is the " poor man's Macan " as its performance outshines all other CUVs with the exception of the Macan but is so much more affordable.

IMG_8264.jpg

There are plenty of " off lease " 2016 & 2017 units out there with under 36,000 miles to be purchased NOW instead of the QX55 in 2021 at half of what the MSRP of $44K was for a loaded up unit . . .

Just sayin' This an alternative, albeit older tech and such, to the new QX55 at Bargain in the CUV class for the Fun Factor you get while driving.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I have to travel around the sate now and then for work and must use a rental car (don't get reimbursed if I use my car...yeah is stupid). In doing so I've rented Nissan's with the CVT several times. It always sucks and I'm always relieved when I'm out of it and into my car. Even when they have it fake shift it still sucks. Putting that into an INFINITI is ricockulous.
Aye damn Nissan and their comfy gravity seats, make such good cruisers. XD

What changes? Still the same ol CVT, just updated valve bodies, but to no surprise, they still fail. They do get overhauled instead of replaced most the time now.
They are now on their 3rd generations of CVT its about 15% lighter and 10% smaller than even the outgoing 2nd generation, the alloy used in the belt has changed a number of times, Nissan has come out with specific CVT transmission fluids to mitigate friction and heat, the clutch and planetary gear set has been integrated it uses a new fuel pump, a flatter torque converter the list goes on.

You'd be hard pressed to find a shared part between the 1st and 3rd generation of CVT from Nissan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Aye damn Nissan and their comfy gravity seats, make such good cruisers. XD

They are now on their 3rd generations of CVT its about 15% lighter and 10% smaller than even the outgoing 2nd generation, the alloy used in the belt has changed a number of times, Nissan has come out with specific CVT transmission fluids to mitigate friction and heat, the clutch and planetary gear set has been integrated it uses a new fuel pump, a flatter torque converter the list goes on.

You'd be hard pressed to find a shared part between the 1st and 3rd generation of CVT from Nissan.
I do probably close to 75-100 of these a year, its the same CVT since the problems began. Pre 13 CVTs rarely failed at the rate they do now. 13+ are all the same.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts