41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,672 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
I do probably close to 75-100 of these a year, its the same CVT since the problems began. Pre 13 CVTs rarely failed at the rate they do now. 13+ are all the same.

View attachment 96498
No way....Are the part numbers exactly the same also?
This makes me sad

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I thought this QX55 would've been something new and fresh and I'm disappointed that it wasn't. I have a feeling the QX55 will flop. I could be wrong but I don't think it will be very successful. Its essentially another QX50 with a different body.
Honestly, the QX55 was always going to be re-styled QX50. Any other suggestion otherwise was just people projecting hope. Automakers don't just randomly create a different drivetrain or platform between sister vehicles. Think BMW X5 to X6 and X3 to X4.

Reactions: Jeffpeds

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I do probably close to 75-100 of these a year, its the same CVT since the problems began. Pre 13 CVTs rarely failed at the rate they do now. 13+ are all the same.

View attachment 96498
My condolences you have to fix so damn many of these things and to your point I'm sure their overall layout and design hasn't changed too much
but what you observe does fit with the generational changes of Nissan CVTs and the points I made.

Gen 1 - 2008-2011
Gen 2 - 2012-2016
Gen 3 - 2016+

Reactions: iSmkGrnBud

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Honestly, the QX55 was always going to be re-styled QX50. Any other suggestion otherwise was just people projecting hope. Automakers don't just randomly create a different drivetrain or platform between sister vehicles. Think BMW X5 to X6 and X3 to X4.
Yeah well Infiniti is an odd duck at the best of times the Q50/60 changes did not coincide nor did the Z share the platform with the Q50/60 and they are sister platforms as well.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Yeah well Infiniti is an odd duck at the best of times the Q50/60 changes did not coincide nor did the Z share the platform with the Q50/60 and they are sister platforms as well.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
263 Posts
The QX55 looks great but with the AWD CVT and its size, that puts it up against the Cross trek and I dont know if that segment of buyers are willing to spend way more for a bump in power and luxury.

Good news is the new QX60 is really nice and should keep the brand afloat for awhile.

Reactions: Jeffpeds and Q602B

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The QX50 has great curb appeal and a stand out interior but mechanically and technology wise it's a rather lack luster entry in the segment and "NO ONE" wants a CVT in a luxury level product.
Making a more sporty looking version called the QX55 isn't a recipe for success if they don't address those two issues.

If Infiniti wanted to bring people to the table they should have either based the QX55 on the Ariya or used their old philosophy and used
the Q50/60 platforms and make the QX55 a call back to the FX series.
Based on my experience on ownership of the BMW X3 M series, I am loving the QX55!!! I had several transmission malfunctions with the beemer. Had a very comfortable Murano Platinum, and wanted to upgrade and selected the QX55. NOT sorry. Love it. Bought it sight unseen. Transmission is not an issue, put the pedal to the metal and its quite responsive, and for a 4c turbo, its super responsive. Don't know what the fuss is about....4 cylinder turbo engine with a CVT? Why not? Have you tried it lately? It's not your Subaru Justy...

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Based on my experience on ownership of the BMW X3 M series, I am loving the QX55!!! I had several transmission malfunctions with the beemer. Had a very comfortable Murano Platinum, and wanted to upgrade and selected the QX55. NOT sorry. Love it. Bought it sight unseen. Transmission is not an issue, put the pedal to the metal and its quite responsive, and for a 4c turbo, its super responsive. Don't know what the fuss is about....4 cylinder turbo engine with a CVT? Why not? Have you tried it lately? It's not your Subaru Justy...
I haven't driven the QX50-55 but I have driven a 2017 Rogue with the inline 4 with a CVT and an altima with the V6 and a CVT
and the transmission particularly in the Rogue was awful. Now in fairness to Nissan its been continually updated and improved
nearly every year its gone on sale.

That said Nissan earned a reputation as being one of the worst CVT makers in the business for nearly a decade. Nissan actually manufactured
the CVT's for Subaru for many years they shifted to Toyota after Nissan started having issues.

But the point I was making is that CVT's (especially Nissan's) are seen as economy level transmissions, with a checkered history
and its a huge miss-step to put that in a luxury product.

The turbo 4 engine I personally have no issues with and thing its one of the best turbo 4's you can get especially
when it comes to fuel economy.

Reactions: DeeCee

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't driven the QX50-55 but I have driven a 2017 Rogue with the inline 4 with a CVT and an altima with the V6 and a CVT
and the transmission particularly in the Rogue was awful. Now in fairness to Nissan its been continually updated and improved
nearly every year its gone on sale.

That said Nissan earned a reputation as being one of the worst CVT makers in the business for nearly a decade. Nissan actually manufactured
the CVT's for Subaru for many years they shifted to Toyota after Nissan started having issues.

But the point I was making is that CVT's (especially Nissan's) are seen as economy level transmissions, with a checkered history
and its a huge miss-step to put that in a luxury product.

The turbo 4 engine I personally have no issues with and thing its one of the best turbo 4's you can get especially
when it comes to fuel economy.
BigHead: there was a big difference between my 2019 CVT and the 2022 CVT in my 2022, you may wish to revisit when you get a chance.

Thanks for the history, I am aware of the checkered history with Nissan and the CVT, never had an issue with the CVT and the 6 cylinder in my Platinum Murano (actually found it a pleasure to drive), and none with the QX55 as of yet...(guess I should keep my fingers crossed?). I considered the CVT a relative of the 1960's Chrysler Turbine transmission... push the pedal and let it fly type of thing....lol... btw I did not buy the QX55 for the fuel economy, I can afford the gas, but the convenience of less fill ups is nice....... thanks for your feedback....when you're in the area, stop bye and say hi.....
Dave

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
BigHead: there was a big difference between my 2019 CVT and the 2022 CVT in my 2022, you may wish to revisit when you get a chance.

Thanks for the history, I am aware of the checkered history with Nissan and the CVT, never had an issue with the CVT and the 6 cylinder in my Platinum Murano (actually found it a pleasure to drive), and none with the QX55 as of yet...(guess I should keep my fingers crossed?). I considered the CVT a relative of the 1960's Chrysler Turbine transmission... push the pedal and let it fly type of thing....lol... btw I did not buy the QX55 for the fuel economy, I can afford the gas, but the convenience of less fill ups is nice....... thanks for your feedback....when you're in the area, stop bye and say hi.....
Dave
Aye that makes sense, they redesigned the unit again for the 2022 MY so good to hear your enjoying it and noticing a big difference. Certainly worth giving a test drive next time I get a chance ,
I'd agree with the V6 behind the CVT helped it a lot the NA 4-cylinder from the Rogue was constantly hunting for the right ratio and felt a bit rubber-bandy.

Wasn't needed with the V6 as it makes plenty of power at almost any RPM, but yeah if I find myself down south I'll be hitting up a few people on the forums
to say hi in person. Hah

41 - 52 of 52 Posts