Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity how many of you will be running a radar detector, what brand and model, hardwired or plugged in and where are you planning on mounting it.

For me, Valentine One or Passport 9500IX, most likely hardwired and mounted on my rearview mirror

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Passport 9500xi hardwired since the 12v outlets are located in the center console. That's a long way to stretch the cable, or to even run an extension.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I am leaning toward the Valentine One hardwired. Probably will buy once I have the car. I got a quote for $40 to hardwire.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hard choice for me between the V1 and the passport, the passport's benefit of the GPS is what has me even considering it. Love the fact the V1 has the directional display arrows and the option to run a second display, which i will definitely do if i go with the V1, how ever i can only order it online..

options for a power source you could plug in the power in the glove compartment, and just tuck the line out of sight, or remove trims and run the line under that and fit the trim back on. But hardwiring isnt hard either and has its benefits.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Hard choice for me between the V1 and the passport, the passport's benefit of the GPS is what has me even considering it. Love the fact the V1 has the directional display arrows and the option to run a second display, which i will definitely do if i go with the V1, how ever i can only order it online..

options for a power source you could plug in the power in the glove compartment, and just tuck the line out of sight, or remove trims and run the line under that and fit the trim back on. But hardwiring isnt hard either and has its benefits.
There's no power outlet in the glove box...

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I'm only using tha passport because I have one already and took it out from the car I'm trading in. I hard wired it myself using a 12v add-a-fuse to my interior fuse box and then using the new line to run it to the radar behind the panels. No wire splicing or anything needed.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts

Not to mention the V1 also has an optional bluetooth module you can run with an iPhone or Android to get additional data.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I've gotten to the point where I don't care what is said, criticizing me. I just want to relay a story:

Many years ago, I was driving east on I-10 in North Florida. I was in the right hand lane going between 70-75. In the rearview mirror, I saw three cars coming very fast in the left hand lane. I estimated their speed at 80-85, at least. With my cruise control on, I always have my foot over the brake in those kinds of situations, and I was **** glad I did. As soon as the first car passed me, he cut over in front of me, very close, which put the other two cars to my left. At that exact moment all three hit their brakes! :eek: I was a split second away from rear-ending the front car - scared the sh-ee-t out of me. They obviously all caught the radar signal at the same time. Having said all that, I'm sure you know what's coming: Yes, just as burglar tools are illegal because the sole purpose of their existence is to break the law, radar detectors should also be banned. Please don't tell me that you use them to REMIND you to stay within the speed limit. That's B.S., and you know it. Whether it be burglary or speeding, if you want to break the law, then be mature enough to risk the consequences. I know I'm in the minority here, but so what. O.K., I've had my say, and I expect at least a few of you to blast me. Just be honest enough to admit that you are in favor of having a device that helps you get away with breaking the law, and possibly putting lives in danger. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Selzini: Yeah, there are jagoffs that use them, and probably a disproportionate number in Florida. Overall, I'm not opposed to them, just like anything else they can be used and abused. Someone cutting you off and slamming on the brakes is never acceptable but this could have happened with or without a radar detector, you have to admit.

I'm more afraid of people staring at their phones than people reacting to detectors. There are far more of them and they are about 500% more dangerous. Banning cellphones in cars (in-car active jammer) would be the best thing here, but it's not a very popular idea.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A local electronics store (visions) is having a sale on 9500ix 448.99 :0. Regular 600... im not sure if I should jump on that sale ends Wednesday.. still leaning at the v1 even though the passport may offer a bit more protection.

And sorry I meant center console has the power outlets..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
too expensive, i dont own a Lamborghini :)

I'm itching to jump on it, with futureshops pricematching + 10% off, i'd get the radar for roughly 450 after taxes.. thats a bit better then the price of a V1 if i were to buy directly from the website. What do you guys think

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you hardwire it yourself? Was it hard? Where did you tap into power?
I didn't do it myself. I went to an installation place in Austin where I've taken all my cars to get it hard wired. It only takes them about thirty minutes and they charge $40. For that price, I will gladly pay someone to do it.

I assume they tap into the power for the map light but not 100%.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I didn't do it myself. I went to an installation place in Austin where I've taken all my cars to get it hard wired. It only takes them about thirty minutes and they charge $40. For that price, I will gladly pay someone to do it.

I assume they tap into the power for the map light but not 100%.
Did that include the new cable, or did they jerry rig your old power cable? Just curious if I would lose my cable that plugs into the cig lighter, or if they have a shorter cable that they'd use in place?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did that include the new cable, or did they jerry rig your old power cable? Just curious if I would lose my cable that plugs into the cig lighter, or if they have a shorter cable that they'd use in place?
That does not include the cable. I buy the hardwire kit from Valentine which is about $20.
Still have power in the cig lighter but have never really used it for anything.

They wire it so the V1 turns on/off automatically with the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.