Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've recently searched for, and have been able to find a few posts mentioning a rattling sound coming from the passenger side when the car goes over bumpy roads.

I've found this problem seems to have cropped up for me too. Has anyone had this problem and manage to resolve it on their own -- or is taking it to the dealer necessary? Is there a common problem, or is the cause different in each case?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Hey Guys,

I've recently searched for, and have been able to find a few posts mentioning a rattling sound coming from the passenger side when the car goes over bumpy roads.

I've found this problem seems to have cropped up for me too. Has anyone had this problem and manage to resolve it on their own -- or is taking it to the dealer necessary? Is there a common problem, or is the cause different in each case?

Thanks
Before you take it to the dealer, try this: Click in the passenger side seat belt, and see if you still hear the noise. I know that my now-gone G had the rattle, but didn't when the seat belt was used.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Mine has been to the dealer 5 times now. They still have yet to resolve the problem. Drives me nuts! And it only happens when outside temp is 70 degrees F or above.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I'm usually alone while driving, it's difficult to test for what's rattling since I can't reach over with my arm and apply pressure to different areas of the passenger side, and try to silence whatever is vibrating.

I have suspicions about the headrest on the passenger side, since the rattles seemed to reduce significantly when I was applying pressure on it, but it's hard to say for sure. Plus, i couldn't replicate the noise by manually moving it around.

I'll try engaging the seatbelt and see if that helps identify it.

I'm presently located in a city with terrible road infrastructure, so there are lots of bumps and potholes galore, which is why I notice it often.

I'm hesitant to ask a dealer -- since If I were the dealer, it seems like a waste of labor (i.e. man hour time sink), and it would require a test drive around town to test out every potential fix since the problem usually occurs when going over bumpy roads at about 30-40mph.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So focused on my Nav and Intouch issues that I haven't focused on this rattle - thanks, now I know what it is. I can see I'm going to take a hit on this car before much longer.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Try my solution and see if it help.
http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/problems-solutions/11401-vibrating-sound.html

Hey Guys,

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you check your roof console? I discovered it was my sunglass that's causing the rattle ;-)
I too realized that some of the rattle I hear from bumps or deep bass was coming from my sunglasses in the roof compartment. At first it sounded like it was coming from passenger door but it was just above my head.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try to stick the part where you attach the safety belt, with something or the seat. Pusch down this part like if you want to hide it. I have had this issue on my g37 and solved it this way

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Hey All,

So just a quick update on my issue. The rattling was coming from the passenger seat itself. I noticed when I had a passenger sitting there that no rattling occurred over bumps in the road. So when weight is applied, all is okay.

After this, I used the passenger seat controls and moved both the seat/lumbar, ultimately leaving it at a new position. After the seat adjustments, no more noise!

I don't quite understand why the seat assembly would make noise at certain positions (interaction with floor mats?), and not on others, but I won't complain since the rattles are gone for now.

I think more investigation is needed before I bring this up with a dealer so I don't sound like a crazy person.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey All,

So just a quick update on my issue. The rattling was coming from the passenger seat itself. I noticed when I had a passenger sitting there that no rattling occurred over bumps in the road. So when weight is applied, all is okay.

After this, I used the passenger seat controls and moved both the seat/lumbar, ultimately leaving it at a new position. After the seat adjustments, no more noise!

I don't quite understand why the seat assembly would make noise at certain positions (interaction with floor mats?), and not on others, but I won't complain since the rattles are gone for now.

I think more investigation is needed before I bring this up with a dealer so I don't sound like a crazy person.
This future is standard on all G and Q models.:D

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I tried the headrest wiggle, gave the passenger seat back a good wallop, and fiddled with the belt. Still the sound was there. I thought it was coming from the sunroof. Pulling back the shade I tapped some of the plastic trim, at the back. One tap sounded very similar to the rattle. Now it's gone.

I'll keep an ear out.

By the way, does anyone know if the sunroof is made by Webasto? They make many, including the one in a Prelude, I once owned. Anyway, I went to them to have my glass replaced, due to a stress crack. They replaced it free, saying that Webasto has a lifetime warranty on their sunroofs. I wonder if they still do.

Update: 11-30-2013
Took a long drive today (150 miles) and did not hear one peep out of that rattle. For my case, I believe the source was the sunroof trim. Case closed... for now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I tried the headrest wiggle, gave the passenger seat back a good wallop, and fiddled with the belt. Still the sound was there. I thought it was coming from the sunroof. Pulling back the shade I tapped some of the plastic trim, at the back. One tap sounded very similar to the rattle. Now it's gone.

I'll keep an ear out.

By the way, does anyone know if the sunroof is made by Webasto? They make many, including the one in a Prelude, I once owned. Anyway, I went to them to have my glass replaced, due to a stress crack. They replaced it free, saying that Webasto has a lifetime warranty on their sunroofs. I wonder if they still do.

Update: 11-30-2013
Took a long drive today (150 miles) and did not hear one peep out of that rattle. For my case, I believe the source was the sunroof trim. Case closed... for now.
I'll give this a try as I have been hearing a rattle from what seems like the center console. Anyone that is familiar with rattles though knows full well that it could very well be coming from the back of the car even if you "hear" it in the front ;)

I also am hearing quite a bit of wind noise from the driver side and I think it has to do with how the wind is hitting the driver side mirror. Anyone else hearing that? I took it in for service and they advised that all weather seals were fine, etc.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I've now heard two rattles(or "buzzing") when going over a bump. The first was from the moonroof cover. Yesterday, I heard a rattle from the front left dash, near the A/C vent. After I changed the orientation of the vent, no more rattle. Weird.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey all,
It looks like I'm not alone with interior rattling noises. I have a non-hybrid Q50 and whenever I drive over a bumpy road or a small pothole I hear this rattle that seems to be coming from the front passenger side door. It almost sounds like it's coming from the glass. At first I thought it was that plastic seat belt housing that's hidden down below the front passenger on the right side so I wrapped a plush seat belt cushion around it but I still hear the rattling when I go over bumps. It's driving me mad!

Also, at times when I go over bumpy roads I'm hearing what sounds like something electrical shorting out, from the dash area near the steering wheel.

Strangely enough, if I have a passenger sitting up front I don't hear the rattling sound from the passenger side door. I've been thinking of going into my dealer and have them check this out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been hearing a rattle / squeak like noise lately as well. It's coming from the sun roof. It's not the sliding door thing, it's coming from somewhere in the moon roof., like it's not closed all the way but I verified and it's closed tightly including no waterl leaks. Sound goes away if I open the roof up slightly.

Anyone else have this issue? Any fix?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've been hearing a rattle / squeak like noise lately as well. It's coming from the sun roof. It's not the sliding door thing, it's coming from somewhere in the moon roof., like it's not closed all the way but I verified and it's closed tightly including no waterl leaks. Sound goes away if I open the roof up slightly.

Anyone else have this issue? Any fix?
If you can't sort it Waffleman, take it to the dealer to get fixed.
I've had to take my G into the dealer once, and my Q in for a driver door rattle.
Dealer took care of it both times under warranty.

My moonroof area has no squeaks or rattles, so otherwise I'm no help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.