Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I'm able to contribute something semi-useful in this forum. I've learned so much here so I really wanna give back.

So I went to several dealers today (including Audi [S4] and BMW [AH3], which I won't go into too much detail for now), looking to test drive the cars and finally decide on which car to get. I just planned out my route geographically and went from there. I was expecting to finish by 12 (started at 8am), but ended up finishing at 6pm. I've never really "car-shopped" before. Usually I just hook up with a friend of a friend, they give me the best deal, and I drive off.

Disclaimer: I have never owned a "luxury" or "sporty" car before, so most of my impressions would be on ambiguous stuff like feel and looks. All of the cars I drove felt awesome.

LEXUS IS 350 AWD F-sport
------------------------------
The Lexus dealer was the closest to me (and they opened the earliest too) so I started here. Okay, so this car really wowed me from the first time I saw it. I really like what Lexus did here - definitely looks like a new car. I don't know how well the look will age, but I'm only going to be leasing it anyway. The other cars looked old and tired in comparison. Inside was more of the same - all soft touch, very elegant placement. I also found the joystick/mouse (one of my major concerns) very easy and non-distracting to use. I was playing with it for most of my test drive. Only cons I had for the car was that it felt more cramped inside than all of the other cars, and that it is not possible to equip it with the all-around view monitor (LS only), lane assist / collision avoidance (GS and LS only) - Lexus is behind in this regard. Engine felt more powerful and responsive than the Q50 non-hybrid (but BMW's was still better). Also felt more planted driving around than the Non-hybrid Q with 17s.

Also test drove the GS350 F sport AWD. Felt like a boat. Too big for me, so I didn't even bring it to the highway and went straight back to the lot after 5 minutes.

INFINITI Q50 PREMIUM AWD
--------------------------------
The first thing that struck me with the Q50 was how much bigger looking it was on the outside compared to the BMW or the IS. I was very worried about how the rear looked in the pictures, and unfortunately my fears were confirmed. I did not like the rear. The front was sinewy and sporty and aggressive, but the back was too globular and bulbous and looked too much like the M. The back just looked dated to be honest, like it belonged to the design of the current G and M, but not to the new Q.

Inside was more of the same, it felt a lot more roomier than any of the other cars I test drove. Again, coming from just being in the IS and the AH3, the interior just looked dated to me. It didn't give me the feeling of luxury, and I didn't feel like it separated itself far enough from Nissan. I mean, I could imagine a top-of-the-line Nissan looking like that, but I could never imagine the IS being a Toyota. It's probably just me though, so please go easy on me with this impression. Tech-wise, I know the Q50 offers more than the IS, but the poor resolution on the top screen again made it feel less than what I was expecting it to be. And even though the two-stack console is very useful and isn't in any other car, the positioning and Hyundai-like interior (ok ok.. I don't know who copied whom) just makes it look not necessarily old, but not new and cutting edge either. BMW, Lexus, and Audi (the A6) I think have it right with the new screen that's up there in your eyeline -- when I see that I think new and modern. The intouch itself was pretty snappy and responsive. Took awhile to load some of the apps (talking 2-3 seconds here - nothing to be inconvenienced with, but would like it to be better given this thing is 50K), but response to touch was pretty good. This was with a non-updated Intouch.

Driving wise, the Infiniti was also behind the BMW and the Lexus in terms of feel. Again, I am no expert, this is all subjective. Ride was excellent, but the steering just felt a little bit off (granted this was with unknown settings in the fly-by-wire, as we weren't able to change it because it wasn't updated yet --- HMMMM). Maybe after the update and with playing around the steer by wire it'd get better.

---------------------------------

I really wanted to love the Q. And after rereading the stuff I wrote up there, I'm surprised I'm still considering it. It's a combination of the space, the awesome front face, and the availability of lane assist, and around-view monitor. The BMW actually seems perfect given everything else, but it's a BMW so there's that (lol). I guess I'll end up getting quotes from both Lexus and Infiniti, and look at the value of each and decide from there if the Infiniti is really worth 100-150 dollars more per month on a lease.

-----------------------------------
Again, please take into consideration that I've never owned a luxury car before (but have been regularly able to drive them due to various family loaners). Also, I care almost nothing about the driving characteristics as they are all awesome coming from my previous 20K car. I mostly care about looks, and feel, so please be gentle.

I left the lease numbers in the car, but I'm going to be needing help from you guys to see whether it's a fair deal or not. All I can remember was that the residual on the Q50 Premium was 63%.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the honest report.
Do you know if your BMW had the Dynamic Handling Package? I read it makes a huge difference in handling (I'm planning to test it myself) - but you already conceded the handling point to BMW and Lexus, didn't you?
What packages did your Q have?

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Finally I'm able to contribute something semi-useful in this forum. I've learned so much here so I really wanna give back.

So I went to several dealers today (including Audi [S4] and BMW [AH3], which I won't go into too much detail for now), looking to test drive the cars and finally decide on which car to get. I just planned out my route geographically and went from there. I was expecting to finish by 12 (started at 8am), but ended up finishing at 6pm. I've never really "car-shopped" before. Usually I just hook up with a friend of a friend, they give me the best deal, and I drive off.

Disclaimer: I have never owned a "luxury" or "sporty" car before, so most of my impressions would be on ambiguous stuff like feel and looks. All of the cars I drove felt awesome.

LEXUS IS 350 AWD F-sport
------------------------------
The Lexus dealer was the closest to me (and they opened the earliest too) so I started here. Okay, so this car really wowed me from the first time I saw it. I really like what Lexus did here - definitely looks like a new car. I don't know how well the look will age, but I'm only going to be leasing it anyway. The other cars looked old and tired in comparison. Inside was more of the same - all soft touch, very elegant placement. I also found the joystick/mouse (one of my major concerns) very easy and non-distracting to use. I was playing with it for most of my test drive. Only cons I had for the car was that it felt more cramped inside than all of the other cars, and that it is not possible to equip it with the all-around view monitor (LS only), lane assist / collision avoidance (GS and LS only) - Lexus is behind in this regard. Engine felt more powerful and responsive than the Q50 non-hybrid (but BMW's was still better). Also felt more planted driving around than the Non-hybrid Q with 17s.

Also test drove the GS350 F sport AWD. Felt like a boat. Too big for me, so I didn't even bring it to the highway and went straight back to the lot after 5 minutes.

INFINITI Q50 PREMIUM AWD
--------------------------------
The first thing that struck me with the Q50 was how much bigger looking it was on the outside compared to the BMW or the IS. I was very worried about how the rear looked in the pictures, and unfortunately my fears were confirmed. I did not like the rear. The front was sinewy and sporty and aggressive, but the back was too globular and bulbous and looked too much like the M. The back just looked dated to be honest, like it belonged to the design of the current G and M, but not to the new Q.

Inside was more of the same, it felt a lot more roomier than any of the other cars I test drove. Again, coming from just being in the IS and the AH3, the interior just looked dated to me. It didn't give me the feeling of luxury, and I didn't feel like it separated itself far enough from Nissan. I mean, I could imagine a top-of-the-line Nissan looking like that, but I could never imagine the IS being a Toyota. It's probably just me though, so please go easy on me with this impression. Tech-wise, I know the Q50 offers more than the IS, but the poor resolution on the top screen again made it feel less than what I was expecting it to be. And even though the two-stack console is very useful and isn't in any other car, the positioning and Hyundai-like interior (ok ok.. I don't know who copied whom) just makes it look not necessarily old, but not new and cutting edge either. BMW, Lexus, and Audi (the A6) I think have it right with the new screen that's up there in your eyeline -- when I see that I think new and modern. The intouch itself was pretty snappy and responsive. Took awhile to load some of the apps (talking 2-3 seconds here - nothing to be inconvenienced with, but would like it to be better given this thing is 50K), but response to touch was pretty good. This was with a non-updated Intouch.

Driving wise, the Infiniti was also behind the BMW and the Lexus in terms of feel. Again, I am no expert, this is all subjective. Ride was excellent, but the steering just felt a little bit off (granted this was with unknown settings in the fly-by-wire, as we weren't able to change it because it wasn't updated yet --- HMMMM). Maybe after the update and with playing around the steer by wire it'd get better.

---------------------------------

I really wanted to love the Q. And after rereading the stuff I wrote up there, I'm surprised I'm still considering it. It's a combination of the space, the awesome front face, and the availability of lane assist, and around-view monitor. The BMW actually seems perfect given everything else, but it's a BMW so there's that (lol). I guess I'll end up getting quotes from both Lexus and Infiniti, and look at the value of each and decide from there if the Infiniti is really worth 100-150 dollars more per month on a lease.

-----------------------------------
Again, please take into consideration that I've never owned a luxury car before (but have been regularly able to drive them due to various family loaners). Also, I care almost nothing about the driving characteristics as they are all awesome coming from my previous 20K car. I mostly care about looks, and feel, so please be gentle.

I left the lease numbers in the car, but I'm going to be needing help from you guys to see whether it's a fair deal or not. All I can remember was that the residual on the Q50 Premium was 63%.
Couldn't disagree with you more. I owned a GS for a month and the mouse and infotainment system are terrible. Most people on the Lexus forum feel the same way. You have to go through multiple screens to do some basic things, the radio stations don't have named labels on screen, just numbers, it's easy to overshoot things like the little forward and backwards arrows. I absolutely thought it was the worst engineered infotainment system on the road. I also think the front grill and weird front and back lights on the IS are totally ugly but I get that's a matter of taste. To me, it looks like something only a 20 yr old guy would like.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Couldn't disagree with you more. I owned a GS for a month and the mouse and infotainment system are terrible. Most people on the Lexus forum feel the same way. You have to go through multiple screens to do some basic things, the radio stations don't have named labels on screen, just numbers, it's easy to overshoot things like the little forward and backwards arrows. I absolutely thought it was the worst engineered infotainment system on the road. I also think the front grill and weird front and back lights on the IS are totally ugly but I get that's a matter of taste. To me, it looks like something only a 20 yr old guy would like.
Weeelll.. I am 20 (ish). LOL :)

Like I said, most of the stuff I liked and disliked are mostly a matter of preference. Nothing concrete. I'm in a Q50 forum and I'm pretty sure majority of you feel differently. I didn't hate it, or else I wouldn't even be considering it. I'm just not 100% convinced of the value. Also, again coming from someone who hasn't owned a luxury car before, the Lexus and BMW just felt more luxurious overall inside. (Audi was old.) Can't really say why.

I'm really glad you like it and you found your car though. Good to be in love!

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience and thoughts - always like to get a feel for what others are thinking.

It sounds like the IS is a real contender, especially with younger folks. That appears to be their demo as they want to reel in the G, 3 and A4 market buyers so they step up to another Lexus when they're ready for a new car. I think they put a lot of effort into targeting the younger buyer.

I've also noticed that Lexus seemed to have gone through a cost cutting process over the past few years but may have pulled out of that recently, and likely for the IS. An example of one of the things I noticed on the last gen RX compared to this gen (you could almost see the bean counters in white jackets with clipboards looking at the model and deciding what they could cut to save money): power outlet removed from the back seat area ( nowhere to charge a phone in the back seat now), removing backlit buttons for the home link buttons so you can't see what to press to open your garage door at night, crappy door panels compared to previous model - simulated leather over cardboard. Pretty disappointing. Hoping they got over that - the GS looks great inside so I'm thinking there was a shift in that thought process for their newest releases.

Anyway, back to your review :)

I'm having a brad time seeing the Q interior as Maximaesque. I think the G definitely is but I do feel the Q interior is really something special. Haven't been in the IS so I can't comment but the BMW interior/dash feels like a base model car with a GPS after thought screen slapped on the dash.

You are looking at the right group of cars to compare for sure. I think it will come down to what you prefer most. One thing Infiniti has always done well is to put some groundbreaking tech and safety into their cars (usually as options though) which gets folks in the door and then they wow you with value for the money. I think they are trying to wow people with the car this time.

Also, did you look at the Cadillac ATS yet? Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good review. I think you need to write the Q off. A dream car shouldn't require any rationalizations. Nothing is worse than being stuck with someone else's version of a dream car and then trying to figure out why you don't love it, and why it's painful whenever you see the car you really wanted on the road.

To my eye, the Lexus interior is too linear and boxy. I like the fluidity of the Q50's cabin. How did you like the S4?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've driven the C300 and the C250. The 250 is more fun although it makes very un-Benz like noises. Neither really felt to me like a car you'd want to toss around. The S4 is cousin to the S5, which I also drove. For all the extra horsepower in what then was a 4.2 liter V8 in the S5 vs the T4 in the A5, it wasn't that much more fun, although it sounded much cooler. I will say if you can tolerate the ergonomics, the Audi handles beautifully and has a great ride for a smaller car. I'd take it over the Benz, and I'm a Benz guy.

Two weeks ago I took out a Jag XF V8 Supercharged. Total let-down! Dumpy interior, and it looked like Atari built the infotainment system. Ride was kind of wallowy and the steering felt numb.

Tomorrow I get to drive 80 miles for a chance to sit in a Q50 Premium and Sport. Since the seat is the only possible dealbreaker for me, I may be laying down a deposit.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I've driven the C300 and the C250. The 250 is more fun although it makes very un-Benz like noises. Neither really felt to me like a car you'd want to toss around. The S4 is cousin to the S5, which I also drove. For all the extra horsepower in what then was a 4.2 liter V8 in the S5 vs the T4 in the A5, it wasn't that much more fun, although it sounded much cooler. I will say if you can tolerate the ergonomics, the Audi handles beautifully and has a great ride for a smaller car. I'd take it over the Benz, and I'm a Benz guy.

Two weeks ago I took out a Jag XF V8 Supercharged. Total let-down! Dumpy interior, and it looked like Atari built the infotainment system. Ride was kind of wallowy and the steering felt numb.

Tomorrow I get to drive 80 miles for a chance to sit in a Q50 Premium and Sport. Since the seat is the only possible dealbreaker for me, I may be laying down a deposit.
Awesome to see you testing out the competition!

and...um...no S60 R-Design nearby? :eek: I feel like a lot of people are sleeping on this car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also test drove these 2 cars - IS 350 F-sport and Q50 AWD Hybrid Sport to be exact. The IS 350F definitely felt more sporty in feel and looks, but for what I was looking for, I actually preferred the Q50 as I actually thought the Q50 interior provided more luxury and looked better than the IS, and also felt much less cramped. However, I agree with the OP regarding how the rear looks - that needs an update. The top screen also yes, needs an update.

Although I had initially placed a pre-order with deposit on a Q50 AWD Hybrid Sport, I ultimately ended up taking advantage of Infiniti's current 24-month lease deals going on and picked up a new 2013 G37x Sport Coupe for 24 months. As my previous car was a 2006 G35, I'm definitely enjoying all the new features and bells&whistles of my new car and have no regrets with my decision. I figure in 2 years time, the Q50 will only improve as they tweak the design and iron out any bugs/kinks. Also, the Q60 coupe redesign will be out by then as well. My plan is to roll right into a new Q50 or Q60 in 2 years ..:)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I wanted to make some comments on this topic as I'm in the market and have considered the Lexus IS and the new Q50. This isn't meant to be a detailed comparison, just my initial impressions.

I haven't test driven the Q, as most haven't but I have the IS. I am not in my 20's, but I do like the looks of the IS, it's modern and sporty. I have read most of the comments and how many love the new IS interior, but I found it rather cold and cheap. The material are nice but the Navi screen is too small and the tiered dash isn't as nice as what they tried to replicate in the LFA. The Nulux fake leather isn't bad and does feel good to the touch and comfortable however, I think that Lexus is just using excuses for why they don't offer leather. The stereo was good but the housing is cheap and doesn't even have a nice texture of anything that would make it feel and look expensive.

As for room, it is roomier than the previous IS but coming from a 2010 TL, it's small and confining feeling. In my test drive it was quick but not fast. It handles well and thought the ride was nice in all modes. It really depends on what you're looking for but IMO, $48K for a loaded 350 F Sport, seems a little too much for what this car offers.

As for the Q50, having not driven it I can only compare the exterior and interiors. IMO the Q's exterior is a bold look but more elegant than the IS. As for the interior it is worlds different. I think the Q's interior is a nicer place to live on a daily commute. It was just a comfortable as the IS but you site a little higher. The quality was on par if not better in many ways to the IS. The Q was roomier feeling and the back seat larger.

Of course I can't wait to drive it.
Sorry for the long post.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Although I had initially placed a pre-order with deposit on a Q50 AWD Hybrid Sport, I ultimately ended up taking advantage of Infiniti's current 24-month lease deals going on and picked up a new 2013 G37x Sport Coupe for 24 months.

Also, the Q60 coupe redesign will be out by then as well. My plan is to roll right into a new Q50 or Q60 in 2 years ..:)
Interesting choice! What deal/rate did they give you for the G37? Did you get whatever they had on the lot or did you order it? Do you have any photos of your new G?

I was actually thinking of something similar. All of the incentives, pull aheads, and loyalty cash definitely has me thinking I could try a G coupe for a couple of years while the Q50 is perfected or until the Q60/Q70 rolls around. :D I'm thinking specifically of a Vibrant Red G37xS coupe with Stone interior loaded and with Maple wood of course. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I spent some time at West Houston Infiniti (hello Nick!) and Westside Lexus today looking at both the Q50 and IS350F. The long and short of it is that I liked the Q50 better because:

• · The exterior looks better. While I probably can get used to the styling of the IS350, it certainly doesn’t attract me like the Q does. Even my wife, who is not into cars at all, likes the looks of the Q a lot more.

• · The interior styling is nicer. I realize this is totally subjective, but it just makes a better impression on me.

• · The back seat of the IS350 was just a bit too tight. While my knees were just barely clear of the back side of the front seat, my head was pushing into the ceiling. That bugs me and I don’t want put my taller guests through that. The Q had enough room to avoid these issues and that was good enough for me.
Both the IS350 and Q50 had very comfortable seats, which was an area I was particularly interested in since I spend a good bit of time in my car. I found out that the regular IS350 has ventilated seats, but the F does not. They said it had to do with the way they make the seats. The manufacturing process for the F seats precludes making them ventilated.

I was looking with interest at both the sport and non-sport seats in the Q. I liked them both, but they felt different. You could adjust the seats so that you had good support over the entire length of your back and legs, which should prevent soreness on longer trips. That was an issue that the preliminary Edmund’s review critiqued, but I’m not as worried about it now. The sport seats also had more side support, which I am not used to. It was adjustable and I’m sure I would get used to it, but it just felt different. The extendable thigh support could be adjusted to provide good support further out your leg, which was again good, but different. I know I will be comfortable with either one.

I spent a few minutes behind the wheel of both cars. It was interesting that the Lexus salesman had a test drive loop that let you drive just a few blocks N, E, S and W back to the dealership. I bet the entire drive time was 3 minutes max. You really couldn’t get a feel for the car at all, which is sad since the way it drives is supposed to be its biggest selling point.

The rest of the stuff below is about the Q50 experience in more detail.

The Q50 that I drove was a Premium 3.7 with 19” wheels, Navigation, Deluxe Touring, and Tech. This is not quite a configuration I was considering to buy. If I’m going to have 19” wheels, I want the suspension that has been tuned for them. Anyway, it was still a nice drive and gave me a decent impression of what the car felt like with 19” wheels.

The car felt a little bit twitchy for a bit at a moderate speed, which I am not sure was due to the 19” wheels, the steering setting, or the road surface. I only noticed it at one spot on the drive. I was getting used to a lot of different things at once, so I can’t really say where that was coming from. The acceleration was strong enough to be fun and will certainly suit my purposes. I will still try out the hybrid to see if it has enough additional fun factor to tempt me in that direction. :D

I didn’t get into the sound system much. That wasn’t my focus for today. I’m one of those guys who is equally at home driving with beautiful music or total silence.

Nick demonstrated a lot of the tech features. I really liked the surround view from the cameras when trying to park or pull up close to a curb without scraping it. The blind spot monitoring was nice also, especially since I spend most of my time driving in heavy traffic. Though I didn’t try it out, I am looking forward to the Intelligent Cruise Control for our occasional trips. Who knows, I may even try it out for in-town driving. I’m hoping that the forward emergency warning and braking will help in dealing with those situations where the traffic suddenly stops, but I’m not planning to test that one out.

I saw both the wood and aluminum trim on the interiors. I thought they both looked nice, though I’m a bigger fan of the wood. I’ve always thought that nature’s beauty surpasses anything man has produced and the beautiful grain of the wood is a reflection of that. Maybe I should ask if they could put wood panels down the side of the car! :rolleyes:

They had all of the colors in stock except Chestnut Bronze, but a lot of them were still under wraps and in the shade, so it was hard to get an impression of them. I did get a good view of the Graphite Shadow, Moonlight White, and Liquid Platinum. The Liquid Platinum looked far better in person than the photos, though it was not my preference. I looked closely at the glistening metallic texture of the Moonlight White in the sunlight. Very nice. Infiniti Chick should be very happy with that, though I’m still not convinced she won’t change again. The Graphite Shadow is more likely a color that I will choose, but I still have not seen it in the sun.

We took an excursion through the garage in back to see other colors, but they were mostly covered up, in the shade, and dirty from construction dust coming from next door. There was a group of guys hovering over a black hybrid trying to fix a door ding before some guy named Eric showed up. Hope they were successful. :rolleyes::p;)

No pics today. I was on a pretty tight time budget. I will probably make another excursion out there next Friday to try out a sport and/or hybrid version.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so I just reread what I wrote and I figured I was too harsh on the Q50. I did not dislike the interior, but I still think I preferred the Lexus interior much more. I guess it depends on what people want - the Lexus was more modern and new, and the Q50 was more traditional and refined/luxurious.

Yes, I did notice that the Lexus felt cramped inside, but nothing I wasn't used to coming from my old car. Also I don't have kids so I didn't even try riding in the back at all, as it's very rare I carry people in the back. Outside, I loved the front of the Q50, but didn't like that back - that one I'm still sure of.

The Volvo just really hasn't been on my radar because it was released so long ago that I was almost certain the Nav system would look and feel old. I guess I'll have to look into that. The S4 felt and drove very well, but the interior while nice also seemed a little dated already. The BMW - I wasn't sure I would've gotten used to their controller, plus its proportions made it look subjectively too small like a toy car (that's probably just me), but otherwise I liked the inside.

Regarding the Lexus mousepad, they changed up the menu screen so it's not as much of menus upon menus anymore. I dunno, but I had a real easy time getting used to it and actually I was playing with it the whole time in surface road and freeway driving - which is good for a first time user I guess.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Listen, the Volvo S60 is only a few years old but it has a cycle refresh coming in about 3-4 months (which includes some tech upgrades)

I'm sure you'd probably make your decision by then, but please do your research on the S60 anyway if you can and find out if there's one near you that you can test. Just so you can say that you tried it.

Out of all of the cars I test drove 2 years ago along with the G37, the S60 left one of the biggest impressions on me.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Everything I've read on the Volvo makes it sound outdated and lackluster, from the weak engine to the terrible center console. I want to give it a chance but I don't see anything compelling or competitive in it for this segment. Can you give a few reasons why anyone shopping this segment should consider it?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Everything I've read on the Volvo makes it sound outdated and lackluster, from the weak engine to the terrible center console. I want to give it a chance but I don't see anything compelling or competitive in it for this segment. Can you give a few reasons why anyone shopping this segment should consider it?

lol, what kind of reading have you been doing? You want me to convince you? Mr. No-Convincing himself? No way, that ain't happenin'. :p

Instead, I'll just leave these here for you... :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_5pN4f4YqI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6KkcjP0UX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwroaWRWEFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ou34WouliA

Enjoy....and pls, keep an open mind--For the price, the S60 R-Design is an extremely compelling competitor, IMO. It also appeals to those looking for AWD and more backseat space (a la IS350 and ATS concerns).

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.