Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You're free to edit it if it's incorrect. I looked several places besides that BTW. The hate for Wikipedia is over the top around the internet.

So my next ignorant question would be does my Q50 have Direct Adaptive Steering or does that require the DAS package?
Yeah try referencing wikipedia in any college or University paper, the professor will shred that paper without even reading it.
It's fine for generic and generalized information but if you're trying to research a specific technology or topic it's terrible.

Sources often lead no-where, are taken out of context, link to unrelated material or have no sources of their own.

White-papers, peer-reviewed journals and scientific papers are what you really need to look at when trying to
research something.

As for what steering system your car has either enter your VIN number into a look up system or check your options sheet
when you picked up the car (assuming it's not 2nd hand).

Infiniti has mixed and matched the packages and frequently change how they are bundled yearly, DBW was originally offered
as a stand alone option in the premium trims. Later it became a feature in the premium/technology packages.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah try referencing wikipedia in any college or University paper, the professor will shred that paper without even reading it.
It's fine for generic and generalized information but if you're trying to research a specific technology or topic it's terrible.

Sources often lead no-where, are taken out of context, link to unrelated material or have no sources of their own.

White-papers, peer-reviewed journals and scientific papers are what you really need to look at when trying to
research something.

As for what steering system your car has either enter your VIN number into a look up system or check your options sheet
when you picked up the car (assuming it's not 2nd hand).

Infiniti has mixed and matched the packages and frequently change how they are bundled yearly, DBW was originally offered
as a stand alone option in the premium trims. Later it became a feature in the premium/technology packages.
Personally I don't trust trusted sources alone. Now, I'm no Cisco guru, but I had to implement something I thought I could handle, so I researched it and found 3 different opinions on Cisco's own site. Now this WAS important, so I did the required research and accomplished the goal without bringing down the company network.

On the other hand, much like my hockey forum, this is a hobby and I'm not doing 4 hours of research to make sure I don't make a mistake when discussing something. I make a decent effort and use the forum itself to help me out. I wasn't using Wiki as my only source on a submitted paper. I searched other places, went there and searched for the topic and searched that topic for DAS and found no reference, so I decided to link to it and ask follow up questions on an internet forum. There is nothing wrong with that. Mocking wiki is as stupid as the grammar police bit you see on forums all the time.

We "should" all know by now that it can be edited by anyone, is far from perfect and isn't gospel. That doesn't mean it doesn't have its place.

Oh, and it's used, but I have the sticker and if it's an option then I don't have it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
So my next ignorant question would be does my Q50 have Direct Adaptive Steering or does that require the DAS package?

For 2015, DAS was included in Deluxe Touring Pkg:

Deluxe Touring Package: Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel, Direct Adaptive Steering™, auto-dimming outside mirrors, memory function for steering wheel, driver’s seat and outside mirrors (linked to Intelligent Key), genuine wood trim, 60/40 split fold-down rear seat with center armrest and pass-thru, Around View® Monitor with Moving Object Detection (MOD), front and rear parking sensors, rain-detecting windshield wipers

Then for 2016 and 2017 year models, DAS [v2] had been a standalone option.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,701 Posts
I again played with my non-DAS steering and verified I have no wandering at all. Tight with vertually no play, and tracks perfectly. I can feel slight pull on road crowns or surface variations like you would expect, tramlining etc., but NO wandering at all. As good as my Miata. I have ZERO complaints with my steering.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Personally I don't trust trusted sources alone. Now, I'm no Cisco guru, but I had to implement something I thought I could handle, so I researched it and found 3 different opinions on Cisco's own site. Now this WAS important, so I did the required research and accomplished the goal without bringing down the company network.

On the other hand, much like my hockey forum, this is a hobby and I'm not doing 4 hours of research to make sure I don't make a mistake when discussing something.
Hah yeah Cisco documentation is.... interesting to say the least. I find they will often make recommendations that break best practices as well,
like most things in I.T they assume you have an in-depth working knowledge of whatever your working on. Hah

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You're free to edit it if it's incorrect. I looked several places besides that BTW. The hate for Wikipedia is over the top around the internet.

Here's where I think I got confused. There is DAS for Driver Assist System and DAS for Infinit's Direct Adaptive Steering.

And DBW seems to be misused around the internet as true DBW would be similar to what you described airplanes use.'

Quote: "The steer-by-wire system, which Infiniti calls Direct Adaptive Steering, comes with immediate and long-term benefits. Right now, it offers a quicker and more precise steering response, keeps vibrations from the road from annoying the driver, and improves the car’s active lane control system. Eventually, it will offer weight savings, reduce maintenance costs, and make designing autonomous cars a lot easier.

Steer-by-wire has been the norm in aviation for decades, and Infiniti is the first to bring it to market"

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/infiniti-q50-steer-by-wire/
Edit Wikipedia? Not me. An exercise in futility.

As far as your car having DAS I'll leave it to someone else to help determine that. All of the hybrids have DAS. Beyond that its availability has changed through the years. I don't think it ever was a standalone option and the packaging was constantly changing. I doubt that your car has it though.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I again played with my non-DAS steering and verified I have no wandering at all. Tight with vertually no play, and tracks perfectly. I can feel slight pull on road crowns or surface variations like you would expect, tramlining etc., but NO wandering at all. As good as my Miata. I have ZERO complaints with my steering.
As it should be. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

My wife's SLK has electrically boosted rack and pinion steering as did my last car. A G8 GT. And a 2004 Accord coupe before that. Like yours, they all tracked very well with a slight response to road crown and tramlining in ruts. Neither required a constant twitching on center cruising down the road. As it should be.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Another video showing forward/back movement when braking. You can see part of the control arm and it's movement as well.
https://youtu.be/iO3CCRDChCo
Interesting. Of course those bushings will have some give. That's why they are there. To soften the ride. I have no idea if that is excessive but it does seem like a lot. If it is excessive, why? How did they get that way?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well I did replace the control arms and yes those rear bushings are as soft as marsh mellows.

Bushing on new control arm

Also about to replace the steering rack bushings with solid ones to stop the side to side movement of the rack.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts