Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
X or H pipes on a turbo system do not affect power on a turbocharged engine unless they're too small. they are only used for sound attenuation. the exducer wheel eliminates any meaningful exhaust scavenging. the backpressure between the exhaust port and turbine wheel prevents nearly all scavenging. if your exhaust pipe was significantly larger than the turbo exit, you might gain a little scavenging effect but it wouldnt be anything like a n/a engine. for performance, the ideal exhaust would be none at all. but, this is the deal world and people drive these cars in neighborhoods, so mufflers and the like need to exist. the second best exhaust is whatever you can cram in/under the car.

concerning FI, i can only deduce that their completely stupid ass lead times are due to outsourcing every part of the exhaust and all they do is simply weld the parts together. they essentially act like a welding middle man. though the end result is fantastic, im 0% impressed with the process of manufacture. having been in mfg, i sympathize with the difficulties in procurement but at the same time, a decent team would have identified this and made changed accordingly. so yeah, its great. its well made and sound amazing but a 5 month wait is nothing short of insane.

same goes for the majority of the other exhaust systems available for this platform. of course volume of product helps in price reductions but $2800 for some squiggly bent pipe, a fairly restrictive glass-packed crossflow muffler, and $200 in vacuum actuators is a rip off. i will say that part of the reason for the price is the amount of unnecessary welds. those are all failure points that could be avoided.

for straight performance gains, the MBRP 3" exhaust is the best value around. i wont speak to sound because thats subjective. but, at a hair over $1000 (as low as $850 if you shop around), its the best deal in town. if you look around on youtube, you can find tons of clips for sound.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
its well made and sound amazing but a 5 month wait is nothing short of insane.
Back in pre-Covid period, circa 2016, I ordered the FI LDPs & CBE as part of a Black Friday sale.

I received the exhaust just after New Year's Day, so 5-6 weeks after ordering.

LOL, and I thought that was a long time back then...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Back in pre-Covid period, circa 2016, I ordered the FI LDPs & CBE as part of a Black Friday sale.

I received the exhaust just after New Year's Day, so 5-6 weeks after ordering.

LOL, and I thought that was a long time back then...
That is long but "acceptably" long. Even then, they were ordering pre-bent pipes and having them shipped in, it's just that the supply chain was better back then.

Im guessing they don't have an in house mandrel bending machine as they very, very expensive. That's most of the reason why exhausts across all platforms are expensive. SS pipe isn't that bad, around $3/ft or less depending on quantity ordered. Then you pay someone to weld it and that's roughly $25-$35/hr DOE. You start to see that some systems have a 200-400% price markup. Yikes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is long but "acceptably" long. Even then, they were ordering pre-bent pipes and having them shipped in, it's just that the supply chain was better back then.

Im guessing they don't have an in house mandrel bending machine as they very, very expensive. That's most of the reason why exhausts across all platforms are expensive. SS pipe isn't that bad, around $3/ft or less depending on quantity ordered. Then you pay someone to weld it and that's roughly $25-$35/hr DOE. You start to see that some systems have a 200-400% price markup. Yikes.
Damn I just looked a mandrel pipe bender. 50k wtfff

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
622 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ummmmmm, but with the FI CB, you only get one! Quality. 🤣

Pick the Invidia Gemini and you get all three (if in stock), or at least two (if not in stock). Likely not in stock, I know.

The Greddy is pretty good too.

Don't bother buying from MBenz I've been waiting two and a half months for my greddy exhaust and they keep pushing it back, really bad customer service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yup - 2019 order took about the same time
LOL, I ordered from FI on 7/12/21 and haven't heard anything. My pipes are probably across the sea in a container. lol

I ended up buying a used FI system from a friend. I had to drive 12 hours to pick it up and get home but it was worth it at the huge discount my friend gave me. I immediately called FI to cancel my order and they did not want to hear it but let me know i would lose my 500 deposit if backed out from my original contract with them. Come Nov if i don't get it by the date on my original PO they will hear me calling them daily..lol

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,259 Posts
People rail on Stillen but you have to give credit to a company that actually makes its own S. And has them in stock. I give serious deduction points to FI for not keeping their CBs in stock.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,259 Posts
LOL, I ordered from FI on 7/12/21 and haven't heard anything. My pipes are probably across the sea in a container. lol

I ended up buying a used FI system from a friend. I had to drive 12 hours to pick it up and get home but it was worth it at the huge discount my friend gave me. I immediately called FI to cancel my order and they did not want to hear it but let me know i would lose my 500 deposit if backed out from my original contract with them. Come Nov if i don't get it by the date on my original PO they will hear me calling them daily..lol
I hope you paid with a credit card?

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I give serious deduction points to FI for not keeping their CBs in stock.
Not making excuses, but no inventory means less overhead.

That said, I'd be curious to know how many outstanding orders for Q50 & Q60 FI CBEs exist - 25? 50? 100?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,259 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
LOL, no. They have one shop in Simi Valley, and from front to back, it's a small office with a waiting room up front, the machine shop in the middle, the fitting area behind that, a couple of Bend Pak lifts for installations, with a shipping, receiving and material stock room area in back.

Unless this has recently changed, they were sourcing their raw SS material from domestic supplier(s).

I would call Kevin to get an update, since it is going on week 12. He is typically responsive to customer phone calls, based on my limited interactions with him over the past five years. Besides Infiniti, FI has supplied me with exhaust hardware for some of my previous Audis.

It's unfortunate that the leadtime issues are causing customer angst, but at least FI is trying not to set unrealistic promise dates during Covid. Try to ship something Fedex Ground lately? Don't, because the "normal" 4-day shipping time can easily turn into 3-4 weeks of utter insanity as you wait for a package to move out a local distribution center, since some trailers are taking 3-4 weeks just to unload after they arrive.

FWIW, I ordered some replacement rotor rings from Stoptech from a vendor, back in July, and they are likely due to me at the end of this month. In fact, the vendor I ordered from told me last month (when I called for an update!) that Stoptech has increased the price of the replacement rotor rings by 25%, due to increased raw material costs. Luckily, I already paid for the order.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,259 Posts
Not making excuses, but no inventory means less overhead.

That said, I'd be curious to know how many outstanding orders for Q50 & Q60 FI CBEs exist - 25? 50? 100?
Regardless, I think any manufacturer should always keep stock on hand. The idea of building only once an order is placed is nothing but unprofessional. IMHO.

Reactions: xBlitzkriegx

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Regardless, I think any manufacturer should always keep stock on hand.
Ok, then say goodbye to options...

Every Q50 order is non-resonated, 14-inch w/polished tips. No resonator option, no 10" sport muffler option, etc.

How many would they sell?

And yes, we'd complain about the lack of options, too.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Every Q50 order is non-resonated, 14-inch w/polished tips. No resonator option, no 10" sport muffler option, etc.

Funny because it’s true

·
Registered
281 Posts

I would tell them to kiss my ass. I would dispute the claim since that's not stated on the product page nor is it mentioned on their terms page. A few screenshots and a submission should make short work of the claim. Option 2 is a return and that's a 25% restock fee plus you pay for shipping. Restock fee would be around $350 according to their own rules and shipping would be whatever it is. Interestingly enough, that's less than the $500 they threatened you with. You should probably mention that to them.

That sounds very much like a small shop who doesn't want to eat the shipping costs and have parts on hand due to their poor decisions.

If you opt to return it, include a dead rat/squirrel. Their terms say the exhaust can't be previously installed and must be undamaged. It doesn't say anything about extra items.

·
Registered
281 Posts

To be fair, they use vibrant resonators and magnaflow mufflers. Neither are difficult to source.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Regardless, I think any manufacturer should always keep stock on hand. The idea of building only once an order is placed is nothing but unprofessional. IMHO.
Symptoms of a small operation with big aspirations. Not necessarily a bad thing but this is all too often what you end up with.

This is just in time manufacturing taken to the extreme. This is happening worldwide because if just in time works great to reduce inventory, let's completely eliminate it so our bottom line looks better to investors. The bigger companies do it so the smaller ones follow suit but they can't handle a supply chain disruption and we end up where we are now, worldwide.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,889 Posts
If you don't want your order and the $500 cancel fee bothers you, order a different system then just sell the FI System at cost or tack a few extra dollars to it. It will sell in a week easy. There is a reason people are willing to wait. The FI Exhausts are obviously worth the wait.

FI is upfront about the lengthy lead time.

And they do have an inhouse mandrel forming machine.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts