Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my Q50 for its second oil change and tire rotation today. At 20K miles, they are saying the following maintenance is “critical”:

Brake fluid exchange
Engine air filter
In-cabin filter

During my previous Q50 lease, all I did was oil changes and tire rotations. I think I actually replaced the in-cabin filter once.

I have had this car since April 2018 and plan on returning it July 2021.

Would you do any of this “critical” maintenance? Just don’t see the need to spend an extra ~$300 based on experience with my previous leases.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I dropped my Q50 for its second oil change and tire rotation today. At 20K miles, they are saying the following maintenance is “critical”:

Brake fluid exchange
Engine air filter
In-cabin filter

During my previous Q50 lease, all I did was oil changes and tire rotations. I think I actually replaced the in-cabin filter once.

I have had this car since April 2018 and plan on returning it July 2021.

Would you do any of this “critical” maintenance? Just don’t see the need to spend an extra ~$300 based on experience with my previous leases.

Thoughts?
Follow your owner's manual's maintenance schedule. No more, no less.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Brake fluid recommendation is change every 20,000 miles or 24 months. The recommendation for the cabin air filter is every 15,000 miles or 18 months. So technically the dealer is correct that that service for those two items is due according to Infiniti's guide lines and they are a little premature on the engine air filter. Not all dealers are out to rape your wallet. Personally I would go with 24 month intervals for the brake fluid because the changing of it is primarily because it absorbs moisture from the air and it will corrode internal parts of the brake system (it is not an air tight system). I'm sure I am over looking some aspect of the mileage part of the recommendation, so I will wait here patiently to be corrected.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Follow your owner's manual's maintenance schedule. No more, no less.
That isn't the complete maintenance schedule. As Pill noted, the brake fluid flush is on the schedule.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I wouldn't describe the maintenance items they listed as "Critical" but certainly recommended by the Manufacturer's service manual, that booklet is your bible and you should
Consult it before you ever bring your car into a shop for work so you avoid any surprises or at least shady dealerships.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That isn't the complete maintenance schedule. As Pill noted, the brake fluid flush is on the schedule.
I didn't say it was complete. I only posted one page. But my statement stands: "Follow your owner's manual's maintenance schedule. No more, no less."

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I didn't say it was complete. I only posted one page. But my statement stands: "Follow your owner's manual's maintenance schedule. No more, no less."
While I agree with your statement, in all fairness you kind of inferred it being complete by posting only the one page. Even people who lease should be familiar with the maintenance schedule and not depend on the dealer's recommendations.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Your statement was quite clear.

Follow your owner’s manual maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
In-Cabin filter = "crytical" LMFAO 🤣😂

In my Mr Bill voice "OH NOOooo!" 😱 It might blow up!.

How many auto ignorant people believe that? My ex-wife would belive "crytical" to actyally mean crytical. Then be pleased she spent $<huge amount> and prevented a catastrophic failure, and be proud she helped prevent a crisis.

I finally sat her down to explain that paying for a "full fluid flush" (WTF does that mean) Is not necessary every 10,000 miles.. to clean the "injectors, decarbon the pistons (showed her pictures), prevent radiator corrosion, and premature transmission failure, to name a few.. It was $550+ish IIRC.

"ONLY have them change the oil!", "NOTHING else!" As I handed her the $15 oil n filter change coupon. Then explained how "those places" make their money.

Nothing wrong with following the book though. Im just apposed to overstating the importance level of some things.

Why aren't the tree huggers picketing Jiffy Lube for their BS 3K OCI. 🤔

·
Registered
863 Posts
While I agree with your statement, in all fairness you kind of inferred it being complete by posting only the one page. Even people who lease should be familiar with the maintenance schedule and not depend on the dealer's recommendations.

Posting one page was a courtesy. My written word still stands. So, for a third time, ;) ,: "Follow your owner's manual's maintenance schedule. No more, no less."

Ok, I'll be kind, here's the other page. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Posting one page was a courtesy. My written word still stands. So, for a third time, ;) ,: "Follow your owner's manual's maintenance schedule. No more, no less."

Ok, I'll be kind, here's the other page. :)
No, no, don't take it wrong...we just needed to point out that there was more info other than that one page in case a newb stumbles into this thread in the future and maybe they bought a used car with no owner's manual. That's all. We weren't berating you because you weren't thorough.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Has the whole brake fluid flush thing ever been confirmed as necessary under 50K miles? I've heard conflicting reports about this forever. Unless you're driving the car like a race car every day how necessary is this to do prior to 50K?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Has the whole brake fluid flush thing ever been confirmed as necessary under 50K miles? I've heard conflicting reports about this forever. Unless you're driving the car like a race car every day how necessary is this to do prior to 50K?
If your car is leased, you might get dinged for it when you turn it in. If you own it, do what you'd like. Our Ford makes no mention of this service in its maintenance schedule. It was built in 2012 (43,000 miles currently) and I have not had the brake fluid changed yet. I tried and the Ford dealer almost made me think I was nuts.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If your car is leased, you might get dinged for it when you turn it in. If you own it, do what you'd like. Our Ford makes no mention of this service in its maintenance schedule. It was built in 2012 (43,000 miles currently) and I have not had the brake fluid changed yet. I tried and the Ford dealer almost made me think I was nuts.
I've never heard of anybody getting dinged for service-related items on a lease, ever. In fact, most people who lease don't do anything but basic maintenance and it doesn't have to be at the dealer so how would a person get in trouble for that, what exactly are they charging for?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I don't think you can over maintain a car. Changing your oil every 2000 miles won't hurt it as an example. I also don't feel warm n fuzzy about "lifetime" fluids. Like in a BMW motorcycle rear gear drive assy, or our transmission.

Changing your diff oil every year may be excessive but I usually do it yearly in my car, but not in my truck as I don't use it much. I believe in the "inspect and replace as needed" for many items.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If a manufacturer is listing a fluid as needing replacement at a specific mileage, then it is real. Think about today's climate of trying to "show reduced maintenance" as a selling point, such as lifetime fluid BS, etc... If a manufacturer is listing brake fluid needing replacement at 20k (no statement like inspect or anything, just says replace), then I'm doing it.

My understanding is that brake fluid that isn't changed regularly can absorb water and lead to corrosion. There is a lot of liability in a car's brakes failing while driving.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I'm using DOT 4 so I will change it yearly.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If a manufacturer is listing a fluid as needing replacement at a specific mileage, then it is real. Think about today's climate of trying to "show reduced maintenance" as a selling point, such as lifetime fluid BS, etc... If a manufacturer is listing brake fluid needing replacement at 20k (no statement like inspect or anything, just says replace), then I'm doing it.

My understanding is that brake fluid that isn't changed regularly can absorb water and lead to corrosion. There is a lot of liability in a car's brakes failing while driving.
So what about the 10K oil changes? Nobody seems to trust that and it's from the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
So what about the 10K oil changes? Nobody seems to trust that and it's from the manufacturer.
I just read a statement about this from Car and Driver. They follow the manufacturer's recommendations - if a long term test vehicle has a oil life monitor, they try and change it as close as they can to when the car calls for it, they said rarely are they more than 10% too soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts