Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bait....;) sort of...thinking about changing to the hybrid version with NAV only.

While waiting for my order to arrive.....I'm looking at my driving habits, distance per year and price per gallon. I would make up the $2,880 difference in price in about 3 years. Assuming gas never strays from and average of 3.57 a gallon...yeah like that will ever happen.

I keep cars for an average of 9 years. I am starting to think it would be a bad decision to stick with the gasser. I'm beginning to think I should up the order to a Hybrid.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I was in a similar situation. I decided on the 3.7

If you're planning on keeping your car for that long, I'd think that the Hybrid would be more efficient in the long term. Do you know how many miles you're likely to put on the car per year?

Have you tested and taken a good look at both the Hybrid + Nav and the Gasser in and out?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's too close to call right now....

WARNING: MATH AHEAD

I drive 18-27k a year. I went with the 20k-ish scenario. I'm looking at around @ fuel cost saving with the hybrid. Of course it fluctuates with the prices, miles etc. If I go on the low side i see a return after roughly 4 years (using combined MPG). But is this really a real life situation? I doubt it.

(Gas) @20000\22mpg= 909 x $3.57g = $3,245 or 3.88g = $3,527
(Hybrid)@ 20000\28mpg= 714 x $3.57g = $2,550 or 3.88g = $2,770

695g x 4 = $2780
757g x 4 = $3028

Real life situation

I drive 85% HWY 15% city

Gasser Calc:
20,000 a year.

85% =17,000 miles\27mpg = 629.6 x 3.57g = $2248 or @$3.88= $2443
15% = 3,000 miles \ 19mpg = 157.9 x 3.57g = $564 or @ $3.88 =$613

Gasser: Combined = $3056 a year
Hybrid: Combined (I left at 28mpg) = $2,770 a year

With roughly $300 a year savings it would take 8 years to break even in the worst case scenario with the gas price point. I'm not seeing the value there. If I change jobs that 27mpg could plummet to 24. If gas jumps over $4x etc.

oh decisions....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other Gassers drive roughly the same % split hwy/city as me with an AWD willing to post some real world mpg numbers?

I'm starting to think myself out of the hybrid....stupid brain....

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Yeah, it could end up being a wash to be perfectly frank. Do you know if you're going to have a similar vehicle price no matter what?

What I mean is, do you know what configuration/packages you're hoping to get if you settled on the 3.7 instead? Would you opt to adding the Deluxe Touring package onto the gasser or add any additional accessories?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes $500 over invoice for either

$45100 S AWD Gasser NAV | Illuminated Kicks | Spare Tire
$47980 S AWD Hybrid NAV | Illuminated Kicks | Spare Tire

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I get the Hybrid I get to act like i'm better than non hybrid sedan owners....can you put a price on that?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If trunk space is a non-issue, choosing the hybrid is a no brainer.
Also, test drive the hybrid again to make sure you are ok with the not-so-smooth hybrid braking when come to a complete stop. Pay attention to it when you brake. I don't know what your level of tolerance, it can be annoying for some people. I got used to it, so it's a non-issue for me.
Advantage of the hybrid:
Better fuel economy
more horsepower
massive low end torque

Those 3 reasons is enough to for me to choose the hybrid over the any gasser in it class.

Reactions: Fairplay500

·
Registered
26 Posts
The slightly better gas mileage for the hybrid wasn't enough to push me over. But if more power is appealing to you, the hybrid upgrade is substantial, in my opinion. That's what did it for me. I didn't buy the Q50 to race, by any means. But the difference in low end torque and extra ponies are dramatically noticeable as compared to the gasser in real life acceleration. Having experienced it now, I probably would have bought the hybrid even if it didn't get any better mileage at all. That's just a side benefit IMO.

For what it's worth...

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I have the hybrid, and I'm glad I got it. However, with you keeping your car for an average of nine years, there's something else to consider, money-wise. The hybrid battery is warranted for seven years. If it goes out after that, it would be expensive to replace. Also(and I wonder how many here have read the information on page 8 in the warranty booklet), they say the Li-ion battery loses capacity as the years go on. Just something else to "chew on."

·
Registered
432 Posts
You are better because?
Because you go to 60MPH faster (4.9s) and when you go faster you get to work faster and when you get to work faster you get to work faster and when you work faster you get the promotion faster and when you get promoted faster you become a partner at your firm faster and when you become a partner faster you get more money faster and when you get more money faster you buy a yacht faster and when you get a yacht faster you get some hot wife faster and when you get some hot wife faster you WIN.

Reactions: BOND-007

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I've driven the Hybrid and for me, the Hybrid's somewhat marginal difference in power wasn't quite enough for me to sway me enough. I did notice a difference as I mentioned in my review but the 3.7 is plenty for all intents and purposes. Getting a Hybrid just to say it's faster than the 3.7 and end up not ever using it in such a regard did seem like a waste to me. I'm not that kind of a driver anyway. :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
because you go to 60mph faster (4.9s) and when you go faster you get to work faster and when you get to work faster you get to work faster and when you work faster you get the promotion faster and when you get promoted faster you become a partner at your firm faster and when you become a partner faster you get more money faster and when you get more money faster you buy a yacht faster and when you get a yacht faster you get some hot wife faster and when you get some hot wife faster you win.
lol

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I've driven the Hybrid and for me, the Hybrid's somewhat marginal difference in power wasn't quite enough for me to sway me enough. I did notice a difference as I mentioned in my review but the 3.7 is plenty for all intents and purposes. Getting a Hybrid just to say it's faster than the 3.7 and end up not ever using it in such a regard did seem like a waste to me. I'm not that kind of a driver anyway. :p
I didn't get the hybrid because it might be faster(though there is definitely more torque), but getting at least 35 mpg on the highway(my top so far is 36.6) and at least 27 mpg in local driving is a HUGE incentive.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.