Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a 2016 red sport this weekend. My second Q50, first red sport. Blast to drive, but as I started getting a little more familiar with the car, I noticed something...

My exhaust tips look like a regular old q50, all the other red sports I see have the tips with the circles around it. Mines quiet. I can tell that whoever had this car before had done some things with it (dynamat in the trunk, screw holes where a front lip presumably went) so now I'm wondering did they replace the red sport exhaust with a standard q50 one? Or were there options in the '16 red sport exhaust??

:crying:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Right. It may not be a Red Sport OEM exhaust but that doesn't mean it's a Non Red Sport OEM exhaust. It could be any aftermarket exhaust. Maybe post a pic of the tips and as much as you can of the mufflers, forward?

Congrats on the car!

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
The tips with the ring of little holes are ugly. I know, I have them. Consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking like a stock Q50 exhaust compared to what I googled. So the second question is is there actually a difference in exhausts between the standard Q50 and the red sport, and the S, or is it just a tip?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looking like a stock Q50 exhaust compared to what I googled. So the second question is is there actually a difference in exhausts between the standard Q50 and the red sport, and the S, or is it just a tip?

Red sport exhaust and I think the silver sport exhaust have the little holes.

All of them come stock with the barrel style, docile exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Red sport exhaust and I think the silver sport exhaust have the little holes.

All of them come stock with the barrel style, docile exhaust.

The pictured exhaust is not red sport. Red sport has those ugly holes. Looks like silver sport or any other Q50 system. Mid pipe was welded on as well it looks like.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
The Red Sport has the custom exhaust tips (ring of small holes around the rim). Those look like Silver Sport exhaust tips to me or someone replaced the Red Sport tips with another tip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Incorrect. The pictured exhaust is not red sport. Red sport has those ugly holes. Looks like silver sport or any other Q50 system. Mid pipe was welded on as well it looks like.

Sorry, not sure where I’m incorrect. Please specify. I didn’t claim what was in the photo was red sport or silver sport.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Code:
Sorry, not sure where I’m incorrect. Please specify. I didn’t claim what was in the photo was red sport or silver sport.

Sorry Sid. It looked like you were saying that his exhaust was was red sport based on my first read. Either way it's cool. Silver sport systems have no holes around the tips. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Code:

Sorry Sid. It looked like you were saying that his exhaust was was red sport based on my first read. Either way it's cool. Silver sport systems have no holes around the tips. :)

NP! Gotcha.

And, honestly couldn’t remember on the Silver Sports. It’s been a minute!

But, side note, I do have a Q50 Helmholtz set on hand AND I have my AMS vendorship established again. I’ve been exploring the Nissan side of things and there’s a big demand for the older stuff, but, not so much the new. :-/

Back to action: personal opinion is to get rid of the stock exhaust for something different. Get Tanabe, FI, or the Infiniti Helmholtz. Stock is way to domesticated!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
As was stated...the RS tips have the round holes around the circumference of the tip...the SS does not. For me, the little holes don't bother me at all. However, I am thinking about going with the FI CBE next Spring unless FI has a Black Friday sale that forces my hand;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think I am the only one who likes the look of the OEM RS exhaust tips. I like them so much, I hesitate to install the new-in-the-box Stillen CB that's sitting under my pool table in my living room.

I wonder what it would take, if anything, to transfer the OEM tips to an aftermarket CB. I guess cut and weld? But maybe not since the pipe diameters are different.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
So is the red sport exhaust different in performance, or audibly, or just cosmetically?
The exhaust system is the same on all VR30 engines. Only the tips on the RS are different. Same crappy pillow muffler.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The 16 Red Sport didn't come with the resonated tips, they started on the 17 on.
It took nearly two pages to get the correct answer to solve the mystery? Very nice mD. I actually did not know that.

When I search the web for images of 2016 RS's, I am still seeing the perimeter holes. But, then again, I can't verify 100% that it's a 2016. I give up.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=2016 q50 red sport&qs=WebSearch&form=QBIR&sp=2&pq=2016 q50 &sc=8-9&cvid=6733CB127B624ADCB7F3C38B7A548F14

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
The 16 Red Sport didn't come with the resonated tips, they started on the 17 on.
If you are referring to the RS exhaust tips with the small holes around the rim, those really don't serve as a resonator as they are only cosmetic. According to the Infiniti press kit for 2016, the RS came with those custom exhaust tips too. Pictures of the 2016 RS show those tips also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks all, I guess it's just a matter of the same exhaust with different tips, then nothing to be upset about :) Still thinking I'd like something with a little more growl though. And so it begins...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts