Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, new to the platform and looking to lower my car. In my search, I came across this solution and have a few questions.. I know that RSR downs and super downs are very popular even with Red Sport Models like mine.

However, I haven’t been able to find anything discussing these springs on a RS. Is there a reason why?

On the website it says:

Does not work with AWD model
Fits: 2014+ Infiniti Q50 Sedan Non-Red Sport

Are the RS and non RS so different that these springs won’t work? As far as I know, DDS is not affected by springs but by coilovers. In addition, I’m RWD so that shouldn’t matter either.

Can someone provide some insight? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,477 Posts
If your parents didn't make your middle name "Mario", I would be so pissed.

The smart people should be along shortly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your parents didn't make your middle name "Mario", I would be so pissed.

The smart people should be along shortly.
That’s just my super hero name as I patrol the streets in my Q50s taking down those evil Mopars and Mustangs. Serving justice and whatnot.

I may have to! Hadn’t seen those initially and honestly don’t mind going coils. Just curious to know why they claim these won’t fit the RS.

Oddly enough, I saw the same S-Techs on a non Tien website and they explicitly state that it fits the RS400..

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q50 RS400 AWD
137 Posts
I find a lot of compatibility ambiguity when it comes to auto parts. I just stick with what I know will work for sure, based on trial and error done by others on this (and other) forums. I would go for the RS-R Downs. They're priced well. Super downs if you wanna go that low.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Yes people with RS have thrown springs on the car.

Some have ruined their shocks. Some have not yet done so.

This goes to a fundamental issue. Changing springs but not shocks.

People learn ovwr time that they need a spring that is properly matched to a shock...ergo, the coilover.

Can you just do a spring? sure. Can you do 9,999 mile oil changes? sure.

You can do lots of things.

Years ago, I got a set of Eibach springs. All the technical information and engineering hours by Eibach suggested these will work with factory shocs. One year later I was looking for custom built shocks and struts because the rears were blown and front were starting to give.

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Coilovers >> lowering springs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find a lot of compatibility ambiguity when it comes to auto parts. I just stick with what I know will work for sure, based on trial and error done by others on this (and other) forums. I would go for the RS-R Downs. They're priced well. Super downs if you wanna go that low.
Ok glad I’m not the only one picking up on the ambiguity. Coming from BMW it was either an M car or non M car so distinguishing between most parts was fairly easy. It seems to be a bit more nuisanced for this platform.

To your point about the RSR downs, I don’t mind going that route as it’s more in line with my build than the super downs are. I just read somewhere that they tend to sag in the back which is what led me to start exploring the Tiens in the first place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes people with RS have thrown springs on the car.

Some have ruined their shocks. Some have not yet done so.

This goes to a fundamental issue. Changing springs but not shocks.

People learn ovwr time that they need a spring that is properly matched to a shock...ergo, the coilover.

Can you just do a spring? sure. Can you do 9,999 mile oil changes? sure.

You can do lots of things.

Years ago, I got a set of Eibach springs. All the technical information and engineering hours by Eibach suggested these will work with factory shocs. One year later I was looking for custom built shocks and struts because the rears were blown and front were starting to give.
Coilovers >> lowering springs.
I may go for a full package solution and install DDS compatible coilovers to avoid the headache. But again, price point. I don’t see myself tracking the car so it begs the question of whether or not that investment in full coil overs is worth it as apposed to a slightly lower ride height provided by springs.

Still would like to know if there’s any major difference between the RS and non RS cars that would prevent a set of springs from being compatible on one, while compatible on the other.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
I may go for a full package solution and install DDS compatible coilovers to avoid the headache. But again, price point. I don’t see myself tracking the car so it begs the question of whether or not that investment in full coil overs is worth it as apposed to a slightly lower ride height provided by springs.

Still would like to know if there’s any major difference between the RS and non RS cars that would prevent a set of springs from being compatible on one, while compatible on the other.
the RSR coilovers are not meant for the track

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the RSR coilovers are not meant for the track
I got you. What I meant to say was, I won’t be pushing the car to limits. My main objective is to drop the center of gravity and minimize wheel well gap. The ultra adjustability of the coil overs would be great but a bit overkill for my application.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It's worth the $ even if you never hit the track. I have the RS-R C/Os w/DDS on my Q60S AWD, and I want @JohnInNH to pipe in, too, but the difference in ride quality between Standard and Sport/Sport+ is enough that I'm glad I spent the extra $1K to be able to tailor the dampening for dealing with rough road surfaces (Standard), but then also dial-up the firmness so that I can canyon-carve on some of my favorite backroads (Sport/Sport+). With 36 clicks of dampening available manually, I have the front & rears both set at "8" clicks from Full Soft.

The Standard setting of the RS-R w/DDS is by no means plush, but I expected them to be firmer in response than the stock Monroe dampers. I can still spend hours in the driver's seat during long drives and not get fatigued by the ride. Adding the Hotchkis Sways both front and rear has also introduced some ride firmness, but that's why I'm running the mid-position of the rear Sway Bar. Overall, for a 4k lb car, I think the suspension setup strikes a good balance for my driving style.

As for lowering springs, I've learned my lesson on my other past cars, so when RS-R released the DDS-compatible C/O for the Q50/Q60, I knew that was my best suspension option.

Reactions: george_andretti

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
912 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's worth the $ even if you never hit the track. I have the RS-R C/Os w/DDS on my Q60S AWD, and I want @JohnInNH to pipe in, too, but the difference in ride quality between Standard and Sport/Sport+ is enough that I'm glad I spent the extra $1K to be able to tailor the dampening for dealing with rough road surfaces (Standard), but then also dial-up the firmness so that I can canyon-carve on some of my favorite backroads (Sport/Sport+). With 36 clicks of dampening available manually, I have the front & rears both set at "8" clicks from Full Soft.

The Standard setting of the RS-R w/DDS is by no means plush, but I expected them to be firmer in response than the stock Monroe dampers. I can still spend hours in the driver's seat during long drives and not get fatigued by the ride. Adding the Hotchkis Sways both front and rear has also introduced some ride firmness, but that's why I'm running the mid-position of the rear Sway Bar. Overall, for a 4k lb car, I think the suspension setup strikes a good balance for my driving style.

As for lowering springs, I've learned my lesson on my other past cars, so when RS-R released the DDS-compatible C/O for the Q50/Q60, I knew that was my best suspension option.
Awesome write up @IridiumRS400. I think you’ve just convinced me to spend the extra cash. My build will be OEM+ themed.. chasing that ultimate driving machine ideal. (Yes corny, yes I came from BMW). This platform has so much potential and is really just that good (in my humble opinion). a few tweaks and it’s all I could ask for from a luxury sports car.

Can you go into some more detail regarding how the car behaved after the coils and ASBs vs before? Were you on stock run flats for any period of time after the upgrades?

I’ve noticed that my Red Sport tends to get unsettled during high speed maneuvers over rough portions of highway. It’s a semi floating feeling that my 335i just never had. The car quickly recovers and it doesn’t do it all the time but it’s still rather unsettling. If you were experiencing this too, did these upgrades completely eliminate that?

Thanks for the knowledge you’ve dropped so far. I greatly appreciate the insight.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
What coilovers exist for the AWD models that are suitable for the track?
You may order a custom setup from Feal or Fortune. They should already have a fitment for the Q. Either one should be under 2k.

You may also contact KW for a custom set, but they dont have a fitment, so it will be quite an involved process and it should be 3k+

Reactions: Alto101

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Awesome write up @IridiumRS400. I think you’ve just convinced me to spend the extra cash. My build will be OEM+ themed.. chasing that ultimate driving machine ideal. (Yes corny, yes I came from BMW). This platform has so much potential and is really just that good (in my humble opinion). a few tweaks and it’s all I could ask for from a luxury sports car.

Can you go into some more detail regarding how the car behaved after the coils and ASBs vs before? Were you on stock run flats for any period of time after the upgrades?

I’ve noticed that my Red Sport tends to get unsettled during high speed maneuvers over rough portions of highway. It’s a semi floating feeling that my 335i just never had. The car quickly recovers and it doesn’t do it all the time but it’s still rather unsettling. If you were experiencing this too, did these upgrades completely eliminate that?

Thanks for the knowledge you’ve dropped so far. I greatly appreciate the insight.
you may also get the non DDS version. Just make sure you add extenders for the rear.

I have no issues with driveability and would prefer a more firm ride than RSR provides.

You may read that as RSR coilovers are very compliant to road surfaces.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
One of the biggest observation I made with the new suspension was the lack of tire squeal during higher-speed curves, such as on cloverleafs, even from the Dunlop RFTs, which were on for a short time after the suspension changes, telling me the tire contact patch was more planted despite the lateral forces on the tire from the turn. It also didn't hurt the Camber at all four (4) wheel was -1.5. I'd also say the RS-Rs, by keeping the tire planted to the road surface, allows the cornering speeds to be dialed-up, because the car doesn't feel unsettled at the limit, and much of the understeer I had with the OEM setup is gone, too.

So the RS-Rs will help control the high-speed dampening response. In fact, on my drive home today I hit a series of shallow whoops in the road at speed and the car felt very composed. What you also might run into is tramlining and/or "bump steer" by the RFTs at speed, which prevents the steering from maintaining a straight-line trajectory. I invested in the SPL Offset Tie-Rod Ends, which helps reduce bump-steer at speed when the suspension has been lowered.

Bumpsteer Adjustable Front Outer Tie Rod Ends R35/Z34/Q50

No worries - glad to help.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
There are no differences in suspension between model trims. The differences lie with the options/packages. There are only differences between AWD vs RWD, dynamic digital suspension vs non DDS, and in the earlier model years sport vs non-sport suspension.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts