Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
912 Posts
I may go for a full package solution and install DDS compatible coilovers to avoid the headache. But again, price point. I don’t see myself tracking the car so it begs the question of whether or not that investment in full coil overs is worth it as apposed to a slightly lower ride height provided by springs.

Still would like to know if there’s any major difference between the RS and non RS cars that would prevent a set of springs from being compatible on one, while compatible on the other.
If you think you’d utilize the difference of a 10x price point on the street go for it. But You already paid probably $2-3,000 more for the stock RS suspension when broken down price per component, so you may as well continue to utilize it by replacing the cheapest portion of it (the springs)

the difference is being designed around the strut/dds system vs not. I can’t tell you the dimensions and specificas, rsr downs for s/rs vs prem/luxe have different fronts spring rates though.

DDS should have a better ride quality with springs vs non dds + springs, and many people including myself with non dds + springs didnt notice really much difference on comfort, but car is much more stable and planted at speeds providing much more confidence, that floaty boaty feeling was almost eliminated from just the spring. Should be the same for DDS + springs only retaining even more comfort.

RSR downs provide a 1.2” drop front and rear, improves performance, and has very minimal increase to harshness, really none on “normal” roads. Pot holes, road transitions with “lips” very uneven roads, gravel/dirt roads sure. Normal FWY/HWY roads most likely not.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,622 Posts
I have the RS-R Best Active DDS Compatible coilovers. As @IridiumRS400 said, in our opinion, the extra cost of having the damping rate change with the drive mode, is well worth it.

The Standard setting is about the same as the OEM Monroe system is in Sport mode. In Sport mode they are excellent on smooth pavement, but that's WAY to stiff on rough pavement, manhole covers, and broken pavement.

My front left RS-R coilover was/is faulty and popped a Chassis Control Module fault. That caused my coilovers to get "stuck" in Sport mode. Naturally was not to pleased at the very harsh ride on the back roads where I live.

For some reason yesterday when I cleared the code using my EcuTec app on my smartphone the coilovers switched to standard mode. I could feel the change immediately when I cleared the code while driving on a rough back road.

I can tell you the difference between Sport and Standard mode is VERY noticeable. It makes my car much more enjoyable. Now I know what IridiumRS400 was talking about. Much thanks for the time he spent with me on the phone describing his ride feel with me.

Before I noticed the fault code I kept switching between modes to see the difference. I called IridiumRS400 a couple of times to get his feedback. He said the difference was quite noticeable, and I thought my butt-o-meter was broken because I didn't feel the difference at all. It was driving me crazy. 🤯

Finally I noticed it while checking for fault codes fooling around with my EcuTec app. I tried clearing it many times with no luck until today. No way will I switch to sport mode for fear it will get "stuck" there again.

When Z1 figures out how to get the replacement from RS-R in with out sending mine back first, a HUGE inconvenience, then I'll play with it. Maybe it will be fine, but I'm replacing it anyway.

I don't see why these are not "track worthy". They are better than the OEM, and I tracked those. They are the best DDS compatible coilovers available out there. The only ones I'm aware of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You may order a custom setup from Feal or Fortune. They should already have a fitment for the Q. Either one should be under 2k.

You may also contact KW for a custom set, but they dont have a fitment, so it will be quite an involved process and it should be 3k+
So I should have mentioned I have a Q60 AWD not a Q50. Fortune told me they don't have anything yet for a Q60 but Feal said the suspension is the same as the Q50 and could put together a set of their coilovers for me. Is the difference between the Q50 & Q60 just different spring rates or something more involved?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Is the difference between the Q50 & Q60 just different spring rates or something more involved?
Differences in the RS-R C/O offerings can be found by comparing the two:

RS-R Sports-i C/Os for Q60 AWD:

RS-R Sports-i C/Os for Q50 AWD:

Reactions: Alto101

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
So I should have mentioned I have a Q60 AWD not a Q50. Fortune told me they don't have anything yet for a Q60 but Feal said the suspension is the same as the Q50 and could put together a set of their coilovers for me. Is the difference between the Q50 & Q60 just different spring rates or something more involved?

Thanks!
Are you planning on tracking the car?

It is a serious question. If so, you may want to discuss the specifics of the custom set with Feal.

Also, dont forget the extenders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you planning on tracking the car?

It is a serious question. If so, you may want to discuss the specifics of the custom set with Feal.

Also, dont forget the extenders.
Definitely plan on tracking. As long as I can use the Q50 coilovers, I will get going with them soon. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
One of the biggest observation I made with the new suspension was the lack of tire squeal during higher-speed curves, such as on cloverleafs, even from the Dunlop RFTs, which were on for a short time after the suspension changes, telling me the tire contact patch was more planted despite the lateral forces on the tire from the turn. It also didn't hurt the Camber at all four (4) wheel was -1.5. I'd also say the RS-Rs, by keeping the tire planted to the road surface, allows the cornering speeds to be dialed-up, because the car doesn't feel unsettled at the limit, and much of the understeer I had with the OEM setup is gone, too.

So the RS-Rs will help control the high-speed dampening response. In fact, on my drive home today I hit a series of shallow whoops in the road at speed and the car felt very composed. What you also might run into is tramlining and/or "bump steer" by the RFTs at speed, which prevents the steering from maintaining a straight-line trajectory. I invested in the SPL Offset Tie-Rod Ends, which helps reduce bump-steer at speed when the suspension has been lowered.

Bumpsteer Adjustable Front Outer Tie Rod Ends R35/Z34/Q50

No worries - glad to help.
Great info.. really puts things into perspective. Also it sounds like you’ve got your Q dialed in. Hope to get mine to that level soon. Hadn’t considered the tie rods until this post. Will certainly invest in them.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts