Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of habit I just filled in a full tank of regular gas instead of Premium at Costco. Is this going to create an issue with my car? It's a 2014 with 31000 miles...

Should I get something like a octane boost and put it in my tank?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Out of habit I just filled in a full tank of regular gas instead of Premium at Costco. Is this going to create an issue with my car? It's a 2014 with 31000 miles...

Should I get something like a octane boost and put it in my tank?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I recommend you don’t do that again, the car itself says to put premium. Why would you put regular?? Hopefully it won’t set off your knock sensor

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
Don't drive it hard and you will be OK. 89 is fine for highway distance. especially with a stock ECU and stock parts.

Spirited driving 91 or 93.. a tune and hard driving 93.. I will UpRev or ECUTEK tune mine using 91 octane since 93 is not at all stations.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Out of habit I just filled in a full tank of regular gas
One of two things will happen:
Your car will either explode or you will be just fine.

Stay out of boost, spend your time driving like grandma... feel your shame.

SHAME!

Don't do it again, or if you do, repeat the above process until you look at 87 with disgust in your heart.

You barbarian.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts
LOL! I was at the gas station yesterday talking to the pump jockey (We can't pump gas in Oregon) and we started talking about premium gas. He said he had a customer come in the other day with a brand-new MB and they accidently put a couple gallons of regular gas in the car. The guy freaked out! He seriously was going to have the gas tank emptied, put the car on a flatbed and take it to the dealership. Jumped the poor pump jockey's butt for ruining his new car.

People with more money than sense piss me off.....

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts
I don't doubt that you may see a decrease in performance, but I'd love to find a study which tells me putting 87 would actually HURT my car. Sorry, not buying it one bit.
I don't know about studies but Infiniti states in the Owner's Manual:

Using a fuel other than that specified could adversely affect the emission control system, and may also affect warranty coverage.

Infiniti says to use at least 91 AKI and recommends 93 AKI for their vehicles. 87 AKI may be used only under the following precautions:

Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular gas and fill up with premium gas as soon as possible.

Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

Why would you spend the money on a Q50 and then put regular gas in it?

·
Registered
203 Posts

Using a fuel other than that specified could adversely affect the emission control system, and may also affect warranty coverage.

Infiniti says to use at least 91 AKI and recommends 93 AKI for their vehicles. 87 AKI may be used only under the following precautions:

Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular gas and fill up with premium gas as soon as possible.

To reduce total cost of ownership costs.

·
Registered
671 Posts
From what I understand of the ECU is, given the wide variance of different fuels available, your ECU will advance or retard timing to compensate for higher or lower octane. The Research Octane Number (RON) comes from the ability of the gasoline to resist preignition (which is where knocking comes from). The higher the octane, the higher the resistance.

So, if you use a lower octane, the point of ignition changes. If this were an old car, basically the ignition would be occuring before the piston reaches the top of its stroke, and would provide a split second of resistance against the motion of the piston (which is what will damage internals). This is where your ECU kicks in. Your motor has sensors to tell the ECU when this happens and the ECU will adjust timing to compensate. By changing the timing for the ignition of the fuel you're using, to allow the ignition to happen when the piston is at the top and not on it's way to the top.

Sorry if this is a repeat of already known information. Just tryin' to help conceptualize commonly used terms.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts
To deduce total cost of ownership costs.
I'm assuming you mean to reduce the total cost of operating the car?

I don't understand the logic of spending 60 large on a performance sport sedan designed to operate on premium fuel and trying to save 10 cents/gallon on a fuel that would reduce the car's performance.

If you want to reduce ownership costs, buy a Prius...

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts
Well, it's his car and he can burn kerosene in it for all I care. I'll stick with premium fuel and performance.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
LOL! I was at the gas station yesterday talking to the pump jockey (We can't pump gas in Oregon) and we started talking about premium gas.
Yeah not being able to pump your own gas is still that strangest **** thing to me. lol

Like from a gas station perspective have attendants that offer that service makes sense, **** I worked as one for a few years people love that $h!t.
But making it a law to pump your own gas? So weird. lol

Reactions: Scary

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts
Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states that do not allow customers to pump gas. I'd rather pump my own gas but my wife wouldn't know what to do, so it's better that someone else do it or God only knows where the gas would end up. LOL!

·
Registered
402 Posts

I'm aware of what the manual says.

I don't understand your question. Are you saying I should be throwing $$ out because I bought an x value car? That makes zero sense.

I put in 91 btw

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,275 Posts
I'm saying put whatever fuel you want in your car. I'll stick to premium and avoid any potential warranty issues with Infiniti. A few cents/gallon isn't worth the potential risk and the definite reduction in performance.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, i have stirred up quite a storm :) .... i didn't do it to save on operating costs, or just how i feel about 91 or 93 or.......

i've never had to put premium in a car since i've been driving....this is my first. I've had it for about 2 months now, i still drive the other car about 1/2 the time, and today i, accidentally, out of habit of hitting regular, i filled up regular. only realized when i was putting the handle back.

thank you scary for the explanation. i guess i am ok then as the ECU will make the necessary changes. i will not be driving it hard.

now that i think of it, i might just transfer some fuel to my other car.....but i filled it up last night.

Reactions: Scary
1 - 20 of 91 Posts