Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,243 Posts
Keep in mind the local, state and federal taxes on gas vary from 35 cents/gal to 77 cents/gal depending on the state.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Okay that makes more sense!! More expensive gas = less variance between octanes. Should have known that.
Well not always and it depends. In NJ, before the tax hike, was almost as cheap as gas here in TX and the regular vs premium difference was not as huge as it is here in TX. Delaware had almost the same variance as in NJ but higher gas prices overall.

Regular are cheap here in TX but I guess they chuck some cents more onto premium. Premium is still cheap nonetheless compared to most states in the country.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Looks like I got 23 miles a gallon with the regular fuel. Finally my tank was empty so just refilled with the premium:)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
You don't want to know what I really did again ...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Lol

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,243 Posts
You don't want to know what I really did again ...

You need to move to Oregon where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
When I was about to fill up, I was like, wow the premium is like 33 cents more than regular...and then when I was pumping the gas, I was like why did the price disappear and then got caught up talking to someone who walked over....the car was still driving sluggish....didnt realize until I got home and looked at the receipt :)

Funny you say OR, that is where I bought the car and drive it back...might have to move there :)

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I just don't get it. It is the furthest right button. Everywhere as far as I know. Not rocket science. Help me understand.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I just don't get it. It is the furthest right button. Everywhere as far as I know. Not rocket science. Help me understand.
Just by habit...never had to pump premium in 30 years, so I automatically hit the left mist button without thinking...as I explained in my first post :)...now you kniw my age too

Reactions: Scary

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
...now you kniw my age too...

OK, I get it now. I used to be as sharp as a razor. More like a butter knife now. But a serrated butter knife

·
Registered
50 Posts
my brother drive a gas tanker for a living and he is quite familiar with the type of gas he pumps into gas stations, i did ask him about this and according to him " if you see how cheap and the particles (dirt) left in the bottom of 87 unleaded tank you wont ever use it again, let alone in a high performance car" so yes ill stick with 93.
So, you're saying that 87 octane is dirtier than 93? Or that it's not filtered in the same manner at the pumps?

My understanding is that all grades of gas are thoroughly filtered before they leave the underground tanks and go into the gas pump. And it's also my understanding that the only difference between the grades of gas is additives. Octane is added to bring 87 up to 93, and in some cases, 93 will also come with other enhancements like fuel system cleaning chemicals. Other than that, 87 and 93 should be identical. What am I missing?

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
So, you're saying that 87 octane is dirtier than 93? Or that it's not filtered in the same manner at the pumps?

My understanding is that all grades of gas are thoroughly filtered before they leave the underground tanks and go into the gas pump. And it's also my understanding that the only difference between the grades of gas is additives. Octane is added to bring 87 up to 93, and in some cases, 93 will also come with other enhancements like fuel system cleaning chemicals. Other than that, 87 and 93 should be identical. What am I missing?
Depends on the gas that is being refined and used, the chemical process to achieve the higher octane levels isn't always the same depending on where the gas is being imported from.

But you are correct everything is filtered before it leaves the underground reservoirs, or at least that's how it is done here in Canada I suspect US is the exact same in that regard.

Fun fact middle-grade(89) fuel is don't actually have their own tank, most stations only have 2x tanks the highest grade of gas and the lowest, they mix the 2x fuels together to achieve the lower rated fuels.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just by habit...never had to pump premium in 30 years, so I automatically hit the left mist button without thinking...as I explained in my first post :)...now you kniw my age too

you start a thread about putting in the wrong gas so next time you fill up I'd imagine the 1st thing on your mind would be "let me make sure I put in the right gas this time". Last thing I would do is admit doing something this dumb. OP may not be telling the truth on this one.

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Signature Edition
943 Posts
Gasbuddy card is key for those who are cutting costs at the pump.. first fill up when you get the card saves you 10 cents/gallon, and 5 cents/gallon each use afterwards. Works just like a Target Red card, you link your bank account to it and less is deducted than what the pump says. Filled up on Saturday for $59 and only 56.35 was debited.

Join for free and use code 'ECBW2B5'. Sign up: https://gb.onelink.me/2n60?pid=refe...e=ECBW2B5&af_web_dp=https://pay.gasbuddy.com/

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,243 Posts
Time to put my chemical engineer's hat on and explain the difference between regular and premium gasolines because it appears there are a few misconceptions about this.

If you think you are getting more additives in premium gas vs. regular gas, you are most likely wrong. The amount of additives is almost always the same in regular gas as it is in premium gas for a given brand of gas. For example, Mobil's Synergy gas has the same 7 key additives in all their grades of gas. The only difference is the octane number.

The real difference between various gasolines sold is whether they are certified as "Top Tier" by the EPA or not. Practically all of the major car manufacturers recommend Top Tier detergent gas for their vehicle fleets.

In order to be certified by the EPA as Top Tier, a gasoline must pass a series of performance tests that demonstrate specified levels of deposit control on intake valves, fuel injectors, combustion chambers and prevent intake valve sticking. This means that Top Tier gasolines typically contain 2-3 times the detergent additives than are required by the EPA as a minimum. While this isn't as important for the vast majority of engines out there, for cars like the Q50 that have direct injection and run at higher compression ratios, these detergents are critical to minimize engine deposits.

The cost of these extra detergent additives still only costs the manufacturer less than 1 cent per gallon. If a gasoline manufacturer claims they add more detergents in their premium gas, they are typically comparing that to non-Top Tier gasolines, not a difference between their premium and regular grades.

My advice is to stick to certified Top Tier gasolines and make sure to meet the minimum octane rating as specified in the owner's manual. Your VR30 will thank you for that.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
That's a nice hat.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,243 Posts
It cost enough...

Reactions: BigHeadClan
41 - 60 of 91 Posts