Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Q50S arrived at the dealership yesterday. Went to take a look and it looks great (even with plastic wrap/protection all over it). Couldn't test drive it, but they did let me get in and start it up. I noticed the touchscreen took a while to load and the lag was still there. Dealer said the update was planned for Aug 3-4th (take that with a grain of salt because he hasn't exactly been a wealth of knowledge of when the car was to arrive or anything else aside from being able to process my credit card deposit in a matter of minutes).

My question is this: The touchscreen and dependent systems are essentially tied to a computer with an Intel processor. Every computer I've ever owned/used has had a pretty finite life (2-3 years). After that time, it starts to load slower and slower until it's eventually unusable. You can do software updates all day long, but swapping out the hardware is going to be a major deal. So how does Infiniti plan to ensure this computer lasts the life of the car and continue to function as intended?

Proactive counterpoint to myself: Most car systems (even the one's in the current G line up) are powered by some sort of system and do just fine switching between audio, navigation, etc and the fail rate is pretty low and little lag is noticed over the life of the car.

Proactive counterpoint to my counterpoint: The Intouch system seems different than most current systems, with a much higher degree of "customizability" and less of a defined functionality that doesn't change. It's designed to "mimic" smartphone capability/functionality which has, arguably, a more limited life than a laptop. The ability to add new apps is great, but it usually means ever increasing RAM requirements (or whatever the equivalent is in smartphones).

To summarize this debate with myself, how do I feel confident that this heavily technologically reliant car is going remain capable of doing everything it does from day 1, as good on day 2,000?

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
So my Q50S arrived at the dealership yesterday. Went to take a look and it looks great (even with plastic wrap/protection all over it). Couldn't test drive it, but they did let me get in and start it up. I noticed the touchscreen took a while to load and the lag was still there. Dealer said the update was planned for Aug 3-4th (take that with a grain of salt because he hasn't exactly been a wealth of knowledge of when the car was to arrive or anything else aside from being able to process my credit card deposit in a matter of minutes).

My question is this: The touchscreen and dependent systems are essentially tied to a computer with an Intel processor. Every computer I've ever owned/used has had a pretty finite life (2-3 years). After that time, it starts to load slower and slower until it's eventually unusable. You can do software updates all day long, but swapping out the hardware is going to be a major deal. So how does Infiniti plan to ensure this computer lasts the life of the car and continue to function as intended?

Proactive counterpoint to myself: Most car systems (even the one's in the current G line up) are powered by some sort of system and do just fine switching between audio, navigation, etc and the fail rate is pretty low and little lag is noticed over the life of the car.

Proactive counterpoint to my counterpoint: The Intouch system seems different than most current systems, with a much higher degree of "customizability" and less of a defined functionality that doesn't change. It's designed to "mimic" smartphone capability/functionality which has, arguably, a more limited life than a laptop. The ability to add new apps is great, but it usually means ever increasing RAM requirements (or whatever the equivalent is in smartphones).

To summarize this debate with myself, how do I feel confident that this heavily technologically reliant car is going remain capable of doing everything it does from day 1, as good on day 2,000?

Let me guess - you have never owned anything but a Windows PC, right? My wife has a circa 2007 Macbook, and despite three operating system updates to it, it feels just as fast today as the day it was purchased, and still going strong. Windows is notorious for starting to feel slower as it ages, as you install more and more stuff on your computer, because it is not particularly efficient at removing the old cruft that accumulates over time (especially the Windows XP system most folks are likely familiar with). Newer Windows (like Windows 7) are much better about it. But the problem won't completely go away until Microsoft abandons the religious doggedness of backwards legacy compatibility.

Back on topic. Hardware does not slow down as it ages. Software will determine whether the Q50 interface will "feel" slower over time as updates are applied, not the hardware. And that is something only Infiniti engineers can tell you. But I expect it will not be an issue. Simply because the hardware is fixed, so the software developers are writing for a known, fixed target hardware spec, so they can be more precise and efficient about it.

Bottom line, I would not be too worried about it. Especially if your ownership time period is the typical ~5 years.

Here is another perspective: at least there is a capability for upgrades to add new features. I purchased my Toyota Camry, new, in July 2000. 13 years ago. I paid extra to get the CD player. Today, since then, CDs have come and gone, as are dedicated MP3 payers. I could not hook up my iPod directly, but instead had to use a kludge using the cassette player to listen to music from the iPod on my car. ANd I can completely forget about connecting my iPhone 5 to my Camry! Not even sure anyone make any device to let me connect. And even if they did, I have no interest in spending any kind of money. So for the last five years, I have had to make do with listening to plan old FM radio every time I am driving my car.

Just like with your iPhones and iPads, if you want the latest toys, buy the latest newest car. But just as with all things tech, enjoy the technology while it's new, and don't expect to be on the cutting edge forever. Heck, don't expect it to even be fresh and new for five years. Technology marches on with time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
the "computer" in your car is not going to be working like the computer in your home.

as mentioned above....your home computer craps down after extreme use (internet web surfing, installing/uninstalling programs, downloading, etc)....and it doesnt do a good job cleaning up the trash. Your car is not going to be doing any of that, thus will not be experiencing any issues based on age.

with that being said....it IS possible however to experience extreme lag/slowness if it wasnt developed correctly. the infotainment system in my Jag is beyond slow! sometimes it takes 2 minutes for the system to recognize an input

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Let me guess - you have never owned anything but a Windows PC, right? My wife has a circa 2007 Macbook, and despite three operating system updates to it, it feels just as fast today as the day it was purchased, and still going strong. Windows is notorious for starting to feel slower as it ages, as you install more and more stuff on your computer, because it is not particularly efficient at removing the old cruft that accumulates over time (especially the Windows XP system most folks are likely familiar with). Newer Windows (like Windows 7) are much better about it. But the problem won't completely go away until Microsoft abandons the religious doggedness of backwards legacy compatibility.

Back on topic. Hardware does not slow down as it ages. Software will determine whether the Q50 interface will "feel" slower over time as updates are applied, not the hardware. And that is something only Infiniti engineers can tell you. But I expect it will not be an issue. Simply because the hardware is fixed, so the software developers are writing for a known, fixed target hardware spec, so they can be more precise and efficient about it.

Bottom line, I would not be too worried about it. Especially if your ownership time period is the typical ~5 years.

Here is another perspective: at least there is a capability for upgrades to add new features. I purchased my Toyota Camry, new, in July 2000. 13 years ago. I paid extra to get the CD player. Today, since then, CDs have come and gone, as are dedicated MP3 payers. I could not hook up my iPod directly, but instead had to use a kludge using the cassette player to listen to music from the iPod on my car. ANd I can completely forget about connecting my iPhone 5 to my Camry! Not even sure anyone make any device to let me connect. And even if they did, I have no interest in spending any kind of money. So for the last five years, I have had to make do with listening to plan old FM radio every time I am driving my car.

Just like with your iPhones and iPads, if you want the latest toys, buy the latest newest car. But just as with all things tech, enjoy the technology while it's new, and don't expect to be on the cutting edge forever. Heck, don't expect it to even be fresh and new for five years. Technology marches on with time.
The term that became popular a long time ago is "planned obsolescence." That originally pertained to automobiles, but back then, it referred to improving products so much, that people wanted the newer items. At least back then, if you didn't WANT the newer item, you could still use the older one. Example: You can still drive a 50's car as long as it's in good shape - you don't have to change out its operating system, and gasoline is still able to get the car running. These days, technology is forcing people to dump older products which will not run properly(or at all) because new programs are produced which aren't compatible with the older products. Even worse, updates are done to existing required programs(such as Adobe Flash Player), which make them incompatible with older hardware. Hopefully, the premise raised in this thread is not a problem in the future.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The windows argument is fair. I've haven't had as many issues with Apple products (iphones, ipads, but never had a Mac). The system in the Q50 will not be an apple product though (although, it appears there is some sort of relationship between apple and infiniti).

I don't expect it to be future proof, just curious as to other thoughts on whether or not the "Intel Inside" won't be a liability down the road. If I had to bet, I'd say the touchscreen fails before the processor/operating system.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I expect we'll see a back door code that will allow a soft reset and a hard reset for things like this.

My guess is that memory management will be the key. Usually things that gum up the works tend to be memory hogs and take over system resources so you get slowdowns.

Hopefully wont be the case with in-touch but it's a valid question.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
These days, technology is forcing people to dump older products which will not run properly(or at all) because new programs are produced which aren't compatible with the older products. Even worse, updates are done to existing required programs(such as Adobe Flash Player), which make them incompatible with older hardware.
Please do not bring Adobe Flash in to the argument. Adobe Flash is an abomination whose death cannot come quick enough.

As for the planned obsolescence, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to upgrade. You can continue using the product as is, declining the upgrades.

I am an all-Apple household. I have never had an issue of newer software not working with older hardware. Apple is pretty good about keeping software updates being compatible with a rolling five-year hardware. I know Android phones are notorious about not getting software updates - but that is the phone manufacturers and cell phone carriers fault for being cheap and lazy and not bothering with the updates. AS for Windows PC, Windows 7 OS is pretty good - at least on my Macbook :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well comparing the intouch system to the PC can be hard. I have built all of my PC including my latest Haswell 4770K. My Haswell and Sandy bridge machines are almost identical in terms of hardware, I wont go into my build specifics, but I will tell you both rigs are bulit for gaming in mind and 3D CAD CAM . Sandy Bridge has been running Win 7 and the Haswell rig is running Win 8. Both machines right from day 1 till now have been loaded with intensive medical software that enables me to diagnose and treament plan within the software itself. These 2 rigs where built around my old Win XP machine which ran flawlessly and yes although dated and limited in system RAM and hardware, it ran well.
Running virus and antimalware weekly helps and other diagnostic tools to help clean up and keep the rigs running fast and smooth.

Although Infiniti may not have any software tools to help clean the system to keep it fresh and with the FIXED amount of ram on board, I think the simplest thing one can do is possibly do a soft/hard reset of the system to clear any system cache and ram of collected over time.
I guess as time grows near the release of the vehicle hopefully some of the tech heads will be able to post some hardware info. :D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Please do not bring Adobe Flash in to the argument. Adobe Flash is an abomination whose death cannot come quick enough.

As for the planned obsolescence, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to upgrade. You can continue using the product as is, declining the upgrades.

I am an all-Apple household. I have never had an issue of newer software not working with older hardware. Apple is pretty good about keeping software updates being compatible with a rolling five-year hardware. I know Android phones are notorious about not getting software updates - but that is the phone manufacturers and cell phone carriers fault for being cheap and lazy and not bothering with the updates. AS for Windows PC, Windows 7 OS is pretty good - at least on my Macbook :D
Sorry about Adobe Flash comment - it was the first thing that I thought of. However, it IS required to run certain programs, and its constant "upgrades" required that I got a new computer a year ago, when my RAM was not enough to run those programs. That's what I'm referring to when I say planned obsolescence. Do I have to upgrade? Well, yes, in some cases, if I want to continue being able to use certain things. The new Bose system is just one example. Not having the 6-disc player is now requiring me to get an iPod. Yes, that does seem antediluvian to many of you, but it is an example of what I'm talking about. Just saying...........

·
Registered
51 Posts
I forgot to add with the use of smaller devices(Iphone,Ipad,Windows RT tablet) today and the more powerful processors coming form Intel/Arm/Qualcomm/Samsung, many of the tech companies are using the SoC for efficiency and better performance.

I'm sure the intouch system would be using as well.

I am curious if we would be able to back up our configuration to a USB flash drive and reset the system and reload the config file???

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry about Adobe Flash comment - it was the first thing that I thought of. However, it IS required to run certain programs, and its constant "upgrades" required that I got a new computer a year ago, when my RAM was not enough to run those programs. That's what I'm referring to when I say planned obsolescence. Do I have to upgrade? Well, yes, in some cases, if I want to continue being able to use certain things. The new Bose system is just one example. Not having the 6-disc player is now requiring me to get an iPod. Yes, that does seem antediluvian to many of you, but it is an example of what I'm talking about. Just saying...........
+1 for antediluvian

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I'm tempted to get a dev kit for the Intouch system and start customizing it myself. Of course, after the warranty expires. :)
If you do that, i am going to look forward to what u come up with man! :D

Reactions: afrosheen
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.