Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a Q50 about a year ago now and I'm looking to repair some severe curb rash on 4 of the OEM 19" wheels that came with the car. These are the machined face with the grey spokes. The grey spokes themselves are in fairly good condition so I'd just focus on the machined outer edge.

I'm not looking for perfection, just want to minimize the rough edges and color discrepancy.

Uploaded a picture of one wheel, all four have similar amounts of rash.

Appreciate any insight!

Attachments

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,702 Posts
Why not have a wheel repair shop fix them? I had two RS wheels repaired that had worse curbing damage than what you posted, and you can't tell which wheels were repaired. It took the guy an hour each time to pull the wheel, fix the curb rash, paint, and remount the wheel. Cost was $120 per wheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually just had my RS wheels repaired last summer. Cost me $600 CDN... I don't plan on keeping the car so I'll likely sell the RS rims separately and then package these with the car. I'd prefer to have them looking half decent when I do end up selling this spring

·
Registered
465 Posts
Check with your local dealer. I had some curb rash on one of my wheels and had it repaired through the dealer for $185 USD, which wasn't a bad price IMHO. Wheel came back looking perfect.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Why not have a wheel repair shop fix them? I had two RS wheels repaired that had worse curbing damage than what you posted, and you can't tell which wheels were repaired. It took the guy an hour each time to pull the wheel, fix the curb rash, paint, and remount the wheel. Cost was $120 per wheel.
You got a better price than I did, but I didn't want to mess with pulling wheels off and taking them to the repair place. I guess not having to deal with all of that and being without the car was worth the extra I paid as the dealer gave me a loaner.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,702 Posts
You got a better price than I did, but I didn't want to mess with pulling wheels off and taking them to the repair place. I guess not having to deal with all of that and being without the car was worth the extra I paid as the dealer gave me a loaner.
The guy had a mobile wheel repair trailer and would come to your house if you lived locally. I didn't, so I had to drive to a dealership where he happened to be working that day. I just stood there and watched him do his thing. His trailer was all set up with a tilted work bench to set the wheel on and plenty of lights. Fan hood for painting and a heat lamp setup to speed paint drying. One hour later, the wheel was back on the car, I paid him, and was on my way.

Reactions: twin_snails

·
Registered
465 Posts
^ I bet that was a cool process to watch. I always like seeing how that kind of stuff is done.

Reactions: SocaliridiumQ50RS

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,702 Posts
^ I bet that was a cool process to watch. I always like seeing how that kind of stuff is done.
I was at a friend's house and told him one of the wheels was repaired and could he tell which one it was. He couldn't. Even when I told him which one it was, he couldn't tell where it had been repaired.

·
Registered
775 Posts
How did he match the paint, do you know? Perhaps an elusive paint code or some type of electronic 'eye' to mix & match?

Be nice to know where to source an exact match for RS wheels...I can fix them just fine, but wouldn't want a touch-up color that stood out (obvious).

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,183 Posts
Check with your local dealer. I had some curb rash on one of my wheels and had it repaired through the dealer for $185 USD, which wasn't a bad price IMHO. Wheel came back looking perfect.
The local (Infiniti) dealer normally won't repair a curb rash by himself – so it will always be more expensive than to give the wheel to a specialized rim shop (what the dealer will also do)...

·
Registered
2014 3.7, 14 Hybrid S, 17 Silver sport, 17 Red Sport, now 18 Signature.
2,369 Posts
Purchased a Q50 about a year ago now and I'm looking to repair some severe curb rash on 4 of the OEM 19" wheels that came with the car. These are the machined face with the grey spokes. The grey spokes themselves are in fairly good condition so I'd just focus on the machined outer edge.

I'm not looking for perfection, just want to minimize the rough edges and color discrepancy.

Uploaded a picture of one wheel, all four have similar amounts of rash.

Appreciate any insight!
I'm not sure where you are, but I picked up a part for my wife's Mazda last week at Carcone scrap yard, and they do re finishing wheels. In Richmond Hill.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,702 Posts
How did he match the paint, do you know? Perhaps an elusive paint code or some type of electronic 'eye' to mix & match?

Be nice to know where to source an exact match for RS wheels...I can fix them just fine, but wouldn't want a touch-up color that stood out (obvious).
I don't know for sure but I suspect paint mix as opposed to a paint code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts