Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Red Sport Q50
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to change out my rear brakes and rotors on my ‘18 q50 red sport. Is the best to go with original equipment or is there soemthing that will last longer? Just use it as daily driver and nothing crazy, just normal driving. What site is great to order from? And is it easy to look up part numbers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in a similar position with rear brakes getting near EOL. I really want to get the Z1 two peace rotors front and rear but they are pricey for an everyday driver, I may do it. Anyone else out there have an opinion of similar to OEM brakes for someone just using it as a DD?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 RS AWD. Black on Black on Black
107 Posts
I used to warp oem sport rotors just getting off of the freeway. Not even from anything crazy. Infiniti seems to make their rotors out of playdoh.

I swapped to the Z1 rotors and never looked back. I've done numerous 150-30-0 runs in really hot weather and they've held up great. Also, you will definitely feel a difference in handling (improved) if you swap over to the 2 piece ones. Car feels spritely with lighter rotors.

Just my two cents. But it was worth it to me for my daily driver.

• Haha
Reactions: xBlitzkriegx

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,595 Posts
The Z1 2-piece rotors are certainly expensive but you only have to replace the rotor rings as the aluminum hubs are retained, so it would cost less for future replacement. They've held up great since I installed them a couple years ago. They don't rust like the OEM rotors did after just a couple of days of sitting in wet weather.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,360 Posts
No car enthusiast on an internet forum thinks OEM parts are as sexy as aftermarket. I have never been disappointed with fit, wear, dust, or noise using OEM brake parts. Maybe that says I am just undemanding and easy to please.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,595 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,360 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,707 Posts
I still have my original OEM brake pads and they work just fine.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,139 Posts
I usually get aftermarket because its easy and the premium ceramics work well from all the major auto-parts stores. I did go Rockauto for my wife's Pilot. Found a brand called Raybestos...good price for coated rotors and a hybrid ceramic/ semi-metalic pad. They are in transit and hopefully will have in time to install this weekend. Nerd in me is intrigued if they will be any good!

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Found a brand called Raybestos...good price for coated rotors and a hybrid ceramic/ semi-metalic pad.
I installed Raybestos rotors and Akebono pads on my 07 G35 a few years ago. They worked great...no signs of warpage. My son owns the car now as a daily driver...so I'm sure they have been "put to the test" since he acquired it!

I am considering using these ACDelco rotors on the rear of my 2017 Q50. Anyone have any experience with them?
A Raybestos rotor is also under consideration:

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,139 Posts
Reactions: q50adix and RobertB

·
Registered
955 Posts
I used to warp oem sport rotors just getting off of the freeway. Not even from anything crazy. Infiniti seems to make their rotors out of playdoh.
No, you did not.

Nearly all rotor warpage is attributed to brake pad build up on the face. This is cause by people drag the brakes constantly or excessively which overheats the brake pads. They get hot enough to embed material on the rotor over time.

Use a pad in it's intended heat range and you'll be fine.

Reactions: q50adix and jcb

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Looks like AC Delco is just puting the Rabestos rotor in their box and marking it up. Rotors look identical in the pics and they have what Raybestos claims is "Patented S Slots". Why pay more for the AC Delco?
Yep... they look identical. Thanks. I'll probably give the Raybestos a shot soon.
Yes, identical. Maybe came from the same OEM.

I used the Raybestos on the Q50:

Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Tire Locking hubs

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,139 Posts
I usually get aftermarket because its easy and the premium ceramics work well from all the major auto-parts stores. I did go Rockauto for my wife's Pilot. Found a brand called Raybestos...good price for coated rotors and a hybrid ceramic/ semi-metalic pad. They are in transit and hopefully will have in time to install this weekend. Nerd in me is intrigued if they will be any good!

Was very impressed with the quality of the Raybestos rotors and pads for the wife's Pilot! Couple of weeks in and been great...stops are smooth, quiet and straight. Coating on the rotors looks good behind the wheel. If these wear well on the Pilot I will definitely consider those S slotted rotors and their pads for my Q when the time comes. I have already done 1 pad slap on it so no imminent need.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Those look nice! How do you like them?
Loved it when I had the Q. Also the friction surface didn't rust as much as stock - granted i had it for few thousand miles only and i don't live in rust belt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is a very timely discussion. A few days ago, I came back from my local dealer, and they informed me that my rear brakes are down to 3mm on the left pad and 3.5mm on the right, with inner pads having slightly less. This is the Sport model with a performance package, so it has Brembo's all around. The car has under 32k miles, and the first 10k miles we drove with Active Trace Control on, but after we learned that this chews thru rear pads, I created a custom drive mode and set ATC to off. Still surprised that I need new pads at such relatively low mileage.

Does anyone know what original pads are made of? Are they ceramic, or semi-ceramic or metallic or some different material? I am also looking for aftermarket pads, but I have a hard time deciding what compound to go with. This is our daily driver, not doing any crazy driving, so we want something that won't dust much and squeal, but still have good stopping performance. I am even tempted to go with OEM replacements which are still reasonably priced, but I am open for any recommendations.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,595 Posts
This is a very timely discussion. A few days ago, I came back from my local dealer, and they informed me that my rear brakes are down to 3mm on the left pad and 3.5mm on the right, with inner pads having slightly less. This is the Sport model with a performance package, so it has Brembo's all around. The car has under 32k miles, and the first 10k miles we drove with Active Trace Control on, but after we learned that this chews thru rear pads, I created a custom drive mode and set ATC to off. Still surprised that I need new pads at such relatively low mileage.

Does anyone know what original pads are made of? Are they ceramic, or semi-ceramic or metallic or some different material? I am also looking for aftermarket pads, but I have a hard time deciding what compound to go with. This is our daily driver, not doing any crazy driving, so we want something that won't dust much and squeal, but still have good stopping performance. I am even tempted to go with OEM replacements which are still reasonably priced, but I am open for any recommendations.
In the interest of accuracy, you have Akebono calipers, not Brembo's, unless you've changed calipers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In the interest of accuracy, you have Akebono calipers, not Brembo's, unless you've changed calipers.
I am not sure fi this is true for all years, but in 2018, Q50S could be equipped with Performance Package which upgrades the brakes to Sport brakes with Silver calipers, essentially, giving it the same brake setup as Red Sport, but in different color. Both Q50S with PP and Q50RS brakes are made by Brembo as far as I know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts