Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replaced 2 Dunlop Run Flats within 2 weeks

I have a 2014 Q50 AWD Prem that has 19" Sport Tire & Wheel AWD PKG. These are the Dunlop 245/40R/19 All Season run flats.

While driving I hit a small pothole on RT Front and when I got to my destination, noticed a small slit in the sidewall. Drove on it for 1 day and then warning light went on that low PSI and then tire went down to 0. Next day called dealer and to my surprise, I was informed it was $425 to replace. Dealer said nothing can be done as I hit a pot hole. I said that was BS and then paid my invoice that included time and labor.

1 Week later while driving back from Louisvile to Michigan, half way home just outside Indianapolis, Warning light comes on and now my LT Front low pressure and then down to 0 - FLAT. Take to dealer next day and get manager and owner of dealership. They take off and inspect tire and say this looks to be caused by pothole and the rim is damaged a little which looks to be caused by hitting a pothole.

2 Tires, almost $1,000 and the dealership says nothing can be done as both look to be damaged by me hitting potholes. This is crazy and this is an expensive car and these tires to me are Junk that cost $400 each. Dealer also told me luck the rim was not damaged as to replace they are almost $1,200 each.

Infiniti and or Dunlop need to step up and help owners out. This is not a cheap car and we should have better tire options and or warranties. I have never had a flat tire ever with any of my other new cars and or new used cars. These tires cost more than the 22's on my ESV Escalade.

Based on these Dunlop tire reviews, life expectancy is 20-22K miles which then leaves me paying almost $1,600 + for new tires. Dealer tells me there is no other tire options for this size wheel. This leaves me with a very bad taste with both dealership, Infiniti and Dunlop.

Pissed here in Michigan:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dunlop RFT replaced free after Pothole

I just had same experience while on vacation (from Canada) in Pennsylvania, hit pot hole Saturday, 1" circumferential split near rim, and went flat next day. Drove to nearest Infiniti - West Chester Infiniti - on Monday morning. The Service lady asked for my car mileage (it was about 5000 miles) and said because it was under 12000 miles it was to Dunlop account. No hassle and great service. The bill was almost $500, but it didn't cost me a penny, and they even washed the car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Damage to tires and wheels has always been the responsibility of the owner. You should read your warranty materials before acting like a crybaby. If you hit a telephone pole with your car the day you drive it home from the dealer, do you really expect Infiniti to pay for the repair??? DOH!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I have a 2014 Q50 AWD Prem that has 19" Sport Tire & Wheel AWD PKG. These are the Dunlop 245/40R/19 All Season run flats.

While driving I hit a small pothole on RT Front and when I got to my destination, noticed a small slit in the sidewall. Drove on it for 1 day and then warning light went on that low PSI and then tire went down to 0. Next day called dealer and to my surprise, I was informed it was $425 to replace. Dealer said nothing can be done as I hit a pot hole. I said that was BS and then paid my invoice that included time and labor.

1 Week later while driving back from Louisvile to Michigan, half way home just outside Indianapolis, Warning light comes on and now my LT Front low pressure and then down to 0 - FLAT. Take to dealer next day and get manager and owner of dealership. They take off and inspect tire and say this looks to be caused by pothole and the rim is damaged a little which looks to be caused by hitting a pothole.

2 Tires, almost $1,000 and the dealership says nothing can be done as both look to be damaged by me hitting potholes. This is crazy and this is an expensive car and these tires to me are Junk that cost $400 each. Dealer also told me luck the rim was not damaged as to replace they are almost $1,200 each.

Infinity and or Dunlop need to step up and help owners out. This is not a cheap car and we should have better tire options and or warranties. I have never had a flat tire ever with any of my other new cars and or new used cars. These tires cost more than the 22's on my ESV Escalade.

Based on these Dunlop tire reviews, life expectancy is 20-22K miles which then leaves me paying almost $1,600 + for new tires. Dealer tells me there is no other tire options for this size wheel. This leaves me with a very bad taste with both dealership, Infinity and Dunlop.

Next time go to Goodyear (they are in charge of servicing Dunlop in the US). Do not say you hit a pot hole and say the tire is defective. I was able to get two completely free tires because I hit a pothole on one side. These run-flats have their flaws, but one of their benefits is that it is very difficult to prove impact damage compared to a conventional tire. Goodyear's policy is that they have to be able to observe evidence of an impact to say a tire isn't defective. They admitted in front of me the rigid interiors of run-flats makes this next to impossible to see unless it is just a seriously hard impact. (They have to be able to observe damage on the interior of the tire on the side that actually makes contact with the road, not the sidewalls.) Try to steer clear of potholes because these tires are definitely susceptible to them. Also, road hazard pretty much is a must due to their sensitivity and cost.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I got the impression from the staff that looking at the interior of a run-flat tire for impact damage is almost pointless.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Can you file a damage claim with whomever runs the roads out there and get reimbursed.
In California we have this.
Filing a Damage Claim Against Caltrans
Jealous. Houston doesn't have to be liable. I had two damaged tires and two bent rims from a pothole that could swallow Honey Boo Boo's mom. $2,000 mistake.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you want a cheaper replacement option, I have a set of 19" AWD Dunlops that I replaced with Michelins A/S 3 at 1000 miles in October.
I wanted to look at shipping options before I put them up for sale, but didn't get to it yet.
PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts

Infiniti and or Dunlop need to step up and help owners out. This is not a cheap car and we should have better tire options and or warranties. I have never had a flat tire ever with any of my other new cars and or new used cars. These tires cost more than the 22's on my ESV Escalade.

Based on these Dunlop tire reviews, life expectancy is 20-22K miles which then leaves me paying almost $1,600 + for new tires. Dealer tells me there is no other tire options for this size wheel. This leaves me with a very bad taste with both dealership, Infiniti and Dunlop.

I've been through this already with both Infiniti and Dunlop and it got to the point where I couldn't take the BS anymore with these run flats and their excuses. I blew two already and I said screw it and bought non run-flat tires for my Q50S AWD and I couldn't be happier.

I drive with more confidence on the road now, not worrying about the smallest pothole ruining my day, I have better road hazard coverage with my new Continental tires, they handle 10x better than the run-flats and they look better as well.

I have 3 run-flats in perfect condition btw if anyone is looking to buy a cheap replacement :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Damage to tires and wheels has always been the responsibility of the owner. You should read your warranty materials before acting like a crybaby. If you hit a telephone pole with your car the day you drive it home from the dealer, do you really expect Infiniti to pay for the repair??? DOH!
Inaccurate first sentence and a bad comparison as hitting a telephone pole and damaging a tire are different types of incidents. But thanks for the helpful post. :rollseyes:

To the OP, as Amblq states earlier, depending on mileage on the car, Dunlop may cover the cost of the tire. As I've posted several other places, I had a nail in the no-repair portion of my 19" RFT that caused me to buy a new tire with 500 miles on the car. The service department didn't realize until the next day that Infiniti has a road hazard agreement with Dunlop that covered the full price of the tire for me. They submitted a claim and 3 weeks later I had a check in hand for what I paid for the tire.

There is a lot of pissing and moaning about the RFTs, but in my case, it kept me from changing a tire in sub zero degree weather on the side of a 5 lane interstate during rush hour in a snow storm...well worth the price of admission in my mind. Hopefully you can get a refund on your tires to help soften the sting of the cash outlay.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Inaccurate first sentence and a bad comparison as hitting a telephone pole and damaging a tire are different types of incidents. But thanks for the helpful post. :rollseyes:

Damage caused by owner has never been covered by manufacturer of the car, whether a tire/wheel or hitting a telephone pole. If tires have road hazard warranty that is covered by tire company. So, you are wrong on both counts.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Next time go to Goodyear (they are in charge of servicing Dunlop in the US). Do not say you hit a pot hole and say the tire is defective. I was able to get two completely free tires because I hit a pothole on one side. These run-flats have their flaws, but one of their benefits is that it is very difficult to prove impact damage compared to a conventional tire. Goodyear's policy is that they have to be able to observe evidence of an impact to say a tire isn't defective. They admitted in front of me the rigid interiors of run-flats makes this next to impossible to see unless it is just a seriously hard impact. (They have to be able to observe damage on the interior of the tire on the side that actually makes contact with the road, not the sidewalls.) Try to steer clear of potholes because these tires are definitely susceptible to them. Also, road hazard pretty much is a must due to their sensitivity and cost.

Just tried this at Goodyear as I have my driver frontRunflate bubbling onthe side. The guy at Goodyear was not buying my story and said that type ofsidewall damage could only happen from hitting something.

My dilemma now is I know I will eventually buy new regtires, but don’t have the funds for paying $1000 right now.

I still have my previous G37 IPL 19inch Blizzaks with over80% tread left, however the blizzaks are 225/45/19 and the Q50 is 245/45/19

Can I still use these tires temporarily until I get thefunds for new all seasons??
Any help will be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
58 Posts

Damage caused by owner has never been covered by manufacturer of the car, whether a tire/wheel or hitting a telephone pole. If tires have road hazard warranty that is covered by tire company. So, you are wrong on both counts.:)
Dunlop didn't send me the check. Infiniti did. Dunlop may reimburse Infiniti for the cost of the tire, but Infiniti handled my claim, just like it would with a part failure under the bumper to bumper warranty. But I'm sure you look at the bumper to bumper warranty and say "It's not Infiniti handling the warranty, it's covered by the parts manufacturer/supplier they use to build the car".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.