Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I live in a clean city but I was wrong. The air filter at 22,000 miles interval was full of soot. Previous air filter was genuine OEM 16546-ED000 but I chose Mahle LX1631 this time. Both filters match 100%, size, thickness, and quality but the price is $26 vs $6.79 per a filter.

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Rectangle Wood

Grille Hood Wood Rectangle Automotive lighting

Product Grille Wood Rectangle Flooring

Checked the serpentine belt. Tensioner mark was located at the end (62k miles).

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material

Washed the engine room with a garden hose. I used a leaf blower to blow the water off. It worked great! Better than a compressed air gun.

White Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,474 Posts
I wouldn't wait 22k mi to change the air filters.

In my 3.0t maintenance spreadsheet, I indicate that manufacturer recommendation is 30k mi but it is recommended to replace (or clean) them every 10 - 15k miles.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Filters: visually they look the same but where the difference matters is filtration. But it could very well be Mahle making the filters for Nissan but just not stamping the PN# on them. But end of day, whatever is best for your car and your wallet.

Case in point, Mercedes blower motor for a vehicle. OEM part is $699. Aftermarket Mahle part is $111 (On Worldpac it did say Mahle was OEM) I took both out of the box and verified. The aftermarket part was identical, even the PN# stamping and PN#s on it, but where it was different was where the OEM PN# on the sticker was, it was cut off. Where as the OEM one, had the OEM PN# sticker on it. Which leads me to believe, both come from same factory, made the same way. When it goes into the MB OEM box, keep the sticker, charge them $699. When you throw it into the aftermarket box, charge $111 LOL

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,474 Posts
Filters: visually they look the same but where the difference matters is filtration. But it could very well be Mahle making the filters for Nissan but just not stamping the PN# on them. But end of day, whatever is best for your car and your wallet.

Case in point, Mercedes blower motor for a vehicle. OEM part is $699. Aftermarket Mahle part is $111 (On Worldpac it did say Mahle was OEM) I took both out of the box and verified. The aftermarket part was identical, even the PN# stamping and PN#s on it, but where it was different was where the OEM PN# on the sticker was, it was cut off. Where as the OEM one, had the OEM PN# sticker on it. Which leads me to believe, both come from same factory, made the same way. When it goes into the MB OEM box, keep the sticker, charge them $699. When you throw it into the aftermarket box, charge $111 LOL
I admit it's 1:20am on a Friday night and I might have had one too many mixed drinks. But, still, after reading everything twice, I have no idea what you are saying. : o /

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
He’s saying, which is true of most things, that a lot of generic brands are made on the same assembly line and with the same materials as the name brand.
I'm waiting for Kirkland parts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After two weeks

It could be just a same look. I trust MANN filter and I expect similar quality in Mahle's as both are German brands. The filter I installed was made in Philippine. It's acceptable for me as it's not China LOL.

It's been two weeks since I replaced the filter. The car hesitated a little while accelerating before the replacement but I can feel it's gone now. I know it could be a psychological effect.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I doubt it’s psychological. I’ve been in vehicles that would stall because the air filter was so dirty that the engine was literally suffocated.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,608 Posts
I forgot to change the air filter in my wife's car at the recommended 30k and didn't get around to it until a little over 40k. Had no drivability issues, psychological or real.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,286 Posts
I forgot to change the air filter in my wife's car at the recommended 30k and didn't get around to it until a little over 40k. Had no drivability issues psychological or real.

View attachment 104605
Those look like they're for a Sears wet/dry shop vac.

Reactions: rpiotro and Pillboy

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
586 Posts
Damn pillboy - sure that wasn't 400k miles? That is one nasty looking dirty filter! Where is she driving it - Baha?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: Pillboy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts