Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport RWD
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I bought my Q50 about a couple months ago when it was 23K miles and I checked the air filters last week. They were extremely dirty and had oil and hunk built up(picture below). Forgot to take pictures of the process but replacing them was super easy, and I went with the AFE dry air filters which fit perfect. My intake box itself was pretty dirty so I took it apart, but if yours isn’t you don’t need to. If I didn’t have to clean the intake box I would have not taken off the front air tunnel in the engine bay (no clue what it’s actually called) and would just loosen the two clips, slide the old filter out, and pop the new ones in. Sorry I didn’t take pictures of the whole process, but here’s the OEM filters which are hella dirty IMO for only 25K miles. So I guess don’t listen to the suggested 45K maintenance schedule, check yourself once in a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you notice any difference afterwards? considering swapping mine out with the K&N ones.
Going from a filter that dirty to a clean one will definitely help with airflow, could hear air induction at higher rpms, and did feel a little better response but then again could be placebo lol I didn’t go with K&N because I didn’t want any risk of oil, but in the end it’s preference.

Reactions: PandaQ50

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
Reactions: SDrice

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could you elaborate on this?
Exactly what Avedis53 said, might have even been his comment I saw on a previous thread too 😂.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Replaced mine with K&N drop ins at 39k miles. The old filters looked very similar to your pictures. Have about 1500 miles on the K&Ns with no issues. Any power gains were subtle so I can't say I felt a difference, but those disgusting old filters couldn't have been helping air flow.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
I don't understand why Infiniti uses oiled filters instead of dry filters as OEM.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I don't understand why Infiniti uses oiled filters instead of dry filters as OEM.
I believe you already know the answer, judging by all the highly informative posts you insert into this forum. But for others of you who may have questions as to the whys and wherefores of oiled/non-oiled air filters, here is a great article by a recognized performance company that should be helpful to you: Oiled vs Dry.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
I believe you already know the answer, judging by all the highly informative posts you insert into this forum. But for others of you who may have questions as to the whys and wherefores of oiled/non-oiled air filters, here is a great article by a recognized performance company that should be helpful to you: Oiled vs Dry.
I think you need to be wary of vendors who are pushing a product, like Mishimoto. I've posted testing results on dry vs. oiled filters from independent testers here but I can't seem to locate it. Oiled filters will initially pass more air than dry filters because of the greater porosity of the filter media. They are depending on the oil film to make up for the porosity difference with regards to particulate removal.

However, testing results show that oiled filters initially are not as efficient as dry filters at removing particulate and that over time, that degrades faster than dry filters and the initial pressure drop improvement over dry filters rapidly disappears as both types of filters load up with particulate.

To each their own but personally, I will stick with a quality, dry filter and change it out about every 15K miles based on what I've previously seen on my filters.

Reactions: rpiotro and SDrice

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've used oiled K&N or S&B filters for years and they have served me well. No issues with them unless they are way over oiled.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,931 Posts
I've had the opposite experience. Especially on dusty roads. I'll stick with dry filters.

Most people could get buy using womans stocking material streached over wire mesh. That will breath even better than a K&N and won't have the risk of oily crap sticking to the MAF(s).

The damage from the small particles that pass through will get passed to the future owner(s). Most people don't keep cars long enough to show the damage the K&N type of filters can cause.

I can guarantee the Accura with a fart can, smoking infront of me, had a K&N. He fit the demographic K&N markets to.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've had the opposite experience. Especially on dusty roads. I'll stick with dry filters.

Most people could get buy using womans stocking material streached over wire mesh. That will breath even better than a K&N and won't have the risk of oily crap sticking to the MAF(s).

The damage from the small particles that pass through will get passed to the future owner(s). Most people don't keep cars long enough to show the damage the K&N type of filters can cause.

I can guarantee the Accura with a fart can, smoking infront of me, had a K&N. He fit the demographic K&N markets to.
If I lived in the dust belt I'd just keep stock dry (oiled) filters. What on earth was the factory thinking to have used oil for the stock filters.... Huummmm.... Maybe they know something?

K&N has been around for a long time. Way longer than the fast and delirious crowd lol.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
But what if the woman wears oiled stockings?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I was in an area exposed to above average dust I would definitely just use the dry paper filters. I just took my Q on vacation and got 28.6 mpg with A/C running and about 75-80 mph average speed over 750 mile trip. Thought that was pretty good based on published MPG of 29 hwy. This was with the fairly new K&N filters. Unfortunately I don't have a baseline to compare to stock or dry paper media.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts