Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wood Office supplies Font Adhesive Asphalt

I replaced this f***ing piece of sh*t poop today. Didn’t take any photos of the install because I was too busy swearing in Spanish the whole time (I don’t even speak Spanish).

So a week ago the low washer fluid warning began to appear every time I drove the car. I knew it was the sensor as the reservoir was full and I am always careful to use the proper fluid. So, I ordered a new sensor for 30 bucks and decided to tackle the job myself.

Finger Wood Thumb Household hardware Button

The sensor is located at the bottom of the reservoir, which is located ahead of the drivers side front wheel. You have to unbolt and peel back the splash guard under the bumper to access the sensor. Then take needle nose pliers and yank on it from the area the plug harness is inserted. It will break apart. After, I had to finagle the rubber washer out with a combination of NN pliers and a flat head screwdriver. Make sure to have a container or bucket nearby to catch the leaking fluid and it’s probably best to just let it drain completely.

Grey Wood Tints and shades Rectangle Pattern

After I got the old unit out I had to install the new washer first, followed by the new sensor itself. I had to use silicon spray to get it to snap into place. Understandably, it’s an extremely tight fit to ensure fluid doesn’t leak. My basic warranty expired otherwise I would’ve just taken it to the dealer and had them deal with it.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Sounds like a pain! At least you no longer have to deal with a false low washer fluid warning light!

Reactions: Ccooper6

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a pain for sure. Doing the job with the car on a lift would have made life much easier, but I’m just glad everything worked out. It’s kind of frustrating these sensors failing seem to be prevalent with Nissan/Infiniti

·
Registered
2018 Q50 3.0T LUXE AWD
130 Posts
Did you have your car brand new? How many miles until itt failed? Idk, imo it wouldn't be that much of a pain to get that sensor out. Probably putting the new one in since it's a tight fit. I usually have my car up on jack stands often since I take off the splash guards and bumper quite frequent when working on my Q

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car was at 64k miles when it started acting up. If I had to do it again I could probably fix it faster.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
It was a pain for sure. Doing the job with the car on a lift would have made life much easier, but I’m just glad everything worked out. It’s kind of frustrating these sensors failing seem to be prevalent with Nissan/Infiniti
I think you are the 2nd or 3rd person I've seen on the forums ever have an issue with that level sensor. So, I'm not sure I would call this prevalent. Failing ABS wheel speed sensors? Now, that is something I would call more prevalent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you are the 2nd or 3rd person I've seen on the forums ever have an issue with that level sensor. So, I'm not sure I would call this prevalent. Failing ABS wheel speed sensors? Now, that is something I would call more prevalent.
My emotions were running high so maybe I was being a bit hyperbolic lol. I’ve seen a few in the FB group run into this issue, but yeah I guess it’s somewhat rare in the scheme of things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts