Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know who sources the cameras in the Q50? The stock one is just horrific. I am curious if anyone has the mfg. and part number. I want to see if a HD version is available, i would like to make an attempt to replace it.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
That would be great! Would love to see/know what u find out man! :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, i have been doing some digging. It appears the Q50 most likely uses a 'NavIKS' brand interface and camera. These are really cheap units...which explains so many things.

Now I need to figure out if its the camera itself, the converter unit, or both that are stinking everything up.

What would help is if someone knows of a car (excluding tesla) that has a high quality reverse picture. I can follow that lead and find some common ground. I would really need specific year make model etc.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
The picture from the camera on the G37 displays much better than the Q50. Same with the QX60. I'm not sure if the problem is in the camera, or maybe they went with a higher resolution screen and therefore the image doesn't display as well. G is much better at night.

I assume you've tried the trick I posted of adjusting the contrast and brightness? If not, search for that thread. It helps.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they went with a cheaper converter. The screen is very high resolution so I doubt that is the issue. I am working on getting the exact specifications which will open up some doors for improvement for sure.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ok, i have been doing some digging. It appears the Q50 most likely uses a 'NavIKS' brand interface and camera. These are really cheap units...which explains so many things.

Now I need to figure out if its the camera itself, the converter unit, or both that are stinking everything up.

What would help is if someone knows of a car (excluding tesla) that has a high quality reverse picture. I can follow that lead and find some common ground. I would really need specific year make model etc.

Thanks
My other car has a much better, higher resolution screen. It's an 08 Lexus RX350.

Reactions: jkay

·
Registered
181 Posts
My other car has a much better, higher resolution screen. It's an 08 Lexus RX350.
My other car... OK, I just have to look back, what am I kidding. LOL. I'd love to have a nicer picture even I still turn my head back while backing up. But I use it when parking. You're right, the screens are high resolution, so there is a hope they installed some cheap camera and it will be easy to swap it for hi-res.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A few things I have found about the camera in the Q (without AVM) that differ from models that preceded it (w/o AVM) are the fact that it uses a CCD camera with image mirroring, there is a camera control unit that provides the warning message and turn lines but most of the work is done within the camera control unit. The biggest problem I see is that the resolution is 504 × 485 but the minimum operating brightness is 1Lux. (cannot find reliable information on the old system)

It looks like they may have compromised on bright light clarity for increased low light functionality. I think the image can be a bit grainy but having moved a Q50 and my G37 in my driveway at night with no supplemental lighting I think the Q dominates the G in that regard. I would think the next advancement would be to replace the fixed aperture for something a little more complex...or just put AVM in everything.

The older models used an RGB analog video overlaying the camera image to produce a better high light image but they really struggled in low light situations.

It may be possible to "upgrade" the daylight image through component replacement but I doubt it will be able to sync and function properly without some serious work, and possibly some back end programming adjustments. If anything increasing the resolution of the camera might be the only possibility but that would still have some inherant challenges with it I would think.

Best of luck, I look forward to watching what happens from here.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A few things I have found about the camera in the Q (without AVM) that differ from models that preceded it (w/o AVM) are the fact that it uses a CCD camera with image mirroring, there is a camera control unit that provides the warning message and turn lines but most of the work is done within the camera control unit. The biggest problem I see is that the resolution is 504 × 485 but the minimum operating brightness is 1Lux. (cannot find reliable information on the old system)

It looks like they may have compromised on bright light clarity for increased low light functionality. I think the image can be a bit grainy but having moved a Q50 and my G37 in my driveway at night with no supplemental lighting I think the Q dominates the G in that regard. I would think the next advancement would be to replace the fixed aperture for something a little more complex...or just put AVM in everything.

The older models used an RGB analog video overlaying the camera image to produce a better high light image but they really struggled in low light situations.

It may be possible to "upgrade" the daylight image through component replacement but I doubt it will be able to sync and function properly without some serious work, and possibly some back end programming adjustments. If anything increasing the resolution of the camera might be the only possibility but that would still have some inherant challenges with it I would think.

I agree with that night performance. My Lexus' camera, at night, is pretty useless. However, I attributed the Q50's better performance on the LED backup lights being brighter. Never have checked this out.

Reactions: maddsiick

·
Registered
151 Posts

I'm sure you know your stuff but having just come from a G37 to a Q50, the G37 camera is/was worlds better at night than the Q50. In fact, during the day the Q50 camera seems fine to me but at night I may as well put my windows down and stick my neck out.

I have adjusted the camera brightness and contrast, etc. but the only thing that helps is to have some ambient light around at night (street lamp or something like that if I'm lucky). In the exact same neighborhood and lighting circumstances, my G37 camera was thoroughly usable at night, the Q50 camera is not. Is there a possibility that they have used different camera modules concurrently for different production runs? This is common in the electronic display industry but I don't know about vehicles...

·
Registered
186 Posts
i'm going to make it my goal for the summer to solve this problem.
Any progress? My QX60 has better camera and my old G37. Seems like a slow processor as guide lines are not as smooth as G37 when turning.

Love to know what you concluded. :|

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sure you know your stuff but having just come from a G37 to a Q50, the G37 camera is/was worlds better at night than the Q50. In fact, during the day the Q50 camera seems fine to me but at night I may as well put my windows down and stick my neck out.

I have adjusted the camera brightness and contrast, etc. but the only thing that helps is to have some ambient light around at night (street lamp or something like that if I'm lucky). In the exact same neighborhood and lighting circumstances, my G37 camera was thoroughly usable at night, the Q50 camera is not. Is there a possibility that they have used different camera modules concurrently for different production runs? This is common in the electronic display industry but I don't know about vehicles...
I back up into my friends mailbox. The camera was not functioning at all and it never beeped either. Service manager told my husband that the back up camera doesn't work if it's really dark. Please, I have been driving the car for 5 months, and it worked before!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie comment

Hi,
First post here...
I did not notice how bad the backup camera was on my Q50S UNTIL I got a loaner Q50 from the dealership. I bought my car in SEP-14 (not sure at this time when it was made), but clearly the Q50 I got as a loaner was even newer... And that had HD camera on it.
When I asked the service rep about it then he started giving me the same crap about LEDs being brighter and all, which I shot down very quickly since it was noon on a very sunny day, so no matter how bright the LEDs are the sun is still brighter.
Now I am very interested in figuring out how to switch mine to the same camera I had on the loaner.
I

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Hi,
First post here...
I did not notice how bad the backup camera was on my Q50S UNTIL I got a loaner Q50 from the dealership. I bought my car in SEP-14 (not sure at this time when it was made), but clearly the Q50 I got as a loaner was even newer... And that had HD camera on it.
When I asked the service rep about it then he started giving me the same crap about LEDs being brighter and all, which I shot down very quickly since it was noon on a very sunny day, so no matter how bright the LEDs are the sun is still brighter.
Now I am very interested in figuring out how to switch mine to the same camera I had on the loaner.
I
Actually I think there's just a different rear camera on the non-AVM Q50 trims; the rear cam that comes w/ the AVM system is clearly of lower quality than the Q50s w/ only the rear cam. I've been in over 15 loaner types since the car came out so I know I'm not talking out my ass. The AVM cams aren't THAT bad though; I'm able to see day/night so it's no biggie to me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Actually I think there's just a different rear camera on the non-AVM Q50 trims; the rear cam that comes w/ the AVM system is clearly of lower quality than the Q50s w/ only the rear cam. I've been in over 15 loaner types since the car came out so I know I'm not talking out my ass. The AVM cams aren't THAT bad though; I'm able to see day/night so it's no biggie to me.
Thanks you - because I thought I was going a bit crazy. I think my backup camera (2015 w/o AVM) is quite good. It is comparable to my wife's '15 RX350 and quite a bit better than what was in my '12 G37S - day or night. I really couldn't understand the complaints here...

Reactions: YoungRizz
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.