Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded the factory speakers on the base model. To say they are disappointing in a understatement. i've been trying to get info on the sizes so i could replace them with some quality component pieces and a amp but can't seem to find the info :confused::confused:

·
Registered
478 Posts
The base model does not come with the bose system (Q50a). The bose will be available in the premium package.

·
Registered
697 Posts
if you have active noise do not replace the rear door speakers as it will increase the amount of noise and you will actually hear a very loud humming when accelerating.

I know this because It happen on my M37s

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would assume that there are 6.5 inch in the front, with tweeters on the dash. Like equetefue said, I would not replace the rear speakers, especially the sub. If you want, you can change out the door speakers with aftermarket ones, and add a sub in the back with another amp if that is something you are interested in.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The best upgrade would be a CleanSweep

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely going with the cleansweep for the interface and looking at some focal or jl components. Just trying to figure out the depth that would fit. Don't really want to take off all the door panels to get some measurements.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I actually like the sound quality of the factory BOSE set up once I adjusted the levels. I was a little disappointed at first like you until I took the time to set it up to my liking.
Care to share your settings as a starting point for the bose owners? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up a Q50a "Signature" with the base audio system. It's not downright awful like I had assumed based on some of the comments, but it's not exactly what you'd expect from a vehicle in this class (the system on our 2015 Elantra GT is a bit better, but that's probably one of the best stock systems I've heard in an "economy" car).

So I'd really like to just swap out the speakers with something higher quality. Anybody had luck with this? Care to talk some of us through the process and how happy you are with the results?

Is there a link somewhere with actual information regarding speaker sizes and power requirements?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just picked up a Q50a "Signature" with the base audio system. It's not downright awful like I had assumed based on some of the comments, but it's not exactly what you'd expect from a vehicle in this class (the system on our 2015 Elantra GT is a bit better, but that's probably one of the best stock systems I've heard in an "economy" car).

So I'd really like to just swap out the speakers with something higher quality. Anybody had luck with this? Care to talk some of us through the process and how happy you are with the results?

Is there a link somewhere with actual information regarding speaker sizes and power requirements?
Yes there is a guy who wrote up a fantastic step by step on this forum. I'll see if I can find the link for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have the exact question for the same exact scenario. Q50a Base model sound system is unacceptable. Would like to customize or upgrade with Bose system, but not sure about how to do it. Did you get yours upgraded?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep! Here's a link to the latest posts on the thread where I detailed which parts I had put in and some of the tuning I did:

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/el...t-ready-give-up-my-new-car-audio-sucks-5.html

I had my car in for service recently and was given a 2016 3.0T Premium, and that Bose sound system is nothing to aspire to in my opinion. Everything was cohesive, but it was all just a bit...mushy. Like some processing was taking the edge off, making everything soft, even with all (there are a lot) of the "extra" processing options turned off.

Compared to the Bose system, the components I have in mine offer extremely crisp, clean, dynamic sound. I wouldn't put it on the same level as top-tier options from Acura & Lexus, but the *only* thing that occasionally takes away from the smoothness of my system is that there are what sound like some resonances with the sub in the trunk, so occasionally you'll get a strange bass note that's just overpowering, but that's rare enough that I haven't bothered to look into it. I imagine the fix would include some sound deadening. As an aside, I did end up having to put some sound deadening materials on the front doors, they rattled like crazy after the speaker install.

All this to say that if you don't miss any of the other premium features and do want good sound, I think picking up a base Q50 is the way to go. Not that it was cheap, I think I paid a total of about $2k for parts and installation when it was all said and done, but absolutely worth it, and if I'd gotten a Premium with the Bose sound system then I'd have paid *more* than that and probably still be unsatisfied with the sound system. Obviously if you can do the work then you're in better shape financially, and I did splurge a bit on the front component speakers but after living with them for a few months I wouldn't have it any other way. This is my first experience with the Hertz brand but I'm incredibly impressed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
if you have active noise do not replace the rear door speakers as it will increase the amount of noise and you will actually hear a very loud humming when accelerating.

I know this because It happen on my M37s
Bose active noise cancelling can be turned off from the service menu.
Instructions to get into the service menu: http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/ne...scussion-forum/6601-q50-diagnostics-mode.html
Tap "ANC/ASC" in the service menu, here you turn it on/off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just completed my project and would like to share my set up. Base audio none bose sucks but I would imagine it being easier to upgrade since all four channels are full range. Replace fronts with JL AUDIO C2's component (tweeter mounted at stock location by side mirrors). Replace rears with JL AUDIO C2 650x (COAXIAL). ADDED A JL AUDIO Microsub CP108. Used AUDIOCONTROL LCQ1 as my dsp/eq/loc. System is powered by JL AUDIO RD900/5. I've attached pictures of how I mounted the LCQ1 and the AMP in my trunk.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.