Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I'm positive I am not the only person with this problem. The reverse lights in the q50 are LEDS which is a good thing but I have noticed that at night the lights are VERY dim. I was wondering if these can be changed to improve the lighting at night?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
If your issue is with how things look in the camera when backing up at night, I think some people have had success changing the license plate lamps to LEDs. Also, see some of the threads I've created talking about adjusting settings on the display to boost brightness and contrast a few clicks - this improves the image as well.

Otherwise I'm sure someone will respond with bulb part numbers for you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hello everyone. So I'm positive I am not the only person with this problem. The reverse lights in the q50 are LEDS which is a good thing but I have noticed that at night the lights are VERY dim. I was wondering if these can be changed to improve the lighting at night?
I am pretty sure from stock that the reverse lights are incandescents, which the rear turn signals are too. You probably did a swapout to make the reverse lights LED. When I swapped all my incandescents out I cleaned the lenses then put the bulbs in. I think it improves visibility.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am pretty sure from stock that the reverse lights are incandescents, which the rear turn signals are too. You probably did a swapout to make the reverse lights LED. When I swapped all my incandescents out I cleaned the lenses then put the bulbs in. I think it improves visibility.
The reverse lights are LED's, but are quite dim in my opinion.
The turn signals and license plate are incandescent.

I swapped out the license plate bulbs with LED's and it does help a tiny bit.
I have some rear LED back up lights which I previously ordered for my G37xS, but are hesitant to install them...not sure if they will make any difference.

I'll install them someday and find out.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I think the Q50 has really bright reverse lights. I'm surprised to see more than one person here call them dim.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I remember some saying that changing their reverse lights to LED's made it worse for their back up camera.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have some rear LED back up lights which I previously ordered for my G37xS, but are hesitant to install them...not sure if they will make any difference.

My gf has a sedan XS and I replaced her reverse with LEDS because she couldn't stand the yellow lights. They are in fact very night and bright. Did make a bit of a difference

·
Registered
537 Posts
I remember some saying that changing their reverse lights to LED's made it worse for their back up camera.
I found this to be true with the OEM incandescent bulbs on the G37xS.
The Q50 comes stock with LED's already and was hoping the LED's I bought are brighter than the stock ones.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I replaced the License Plate lamps with some LEDS from VLEDS and they SO much brighter than the incandescent bulbs that it came with.. one of the first things I noticed was how it helped illuminate the backup camera view!

I used this same LED for the Trunk Lamp.. the OEM lamp was SO freakin' dim.. hard to really tell if it was even ON!!

This is what I used: 6K WHITE 360° HO 6 LED 194

Reactions: dragion

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright guys here's an update. I tried tweeking the setting by adjusting the brightness and the contrast but it did help... I ordered led replacements for the license plate light hopefully they will help. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
430 Posts

I find the reverse lights on my car very bright, so there might have been something that broke or went wrong with your bulbs. My license plate lights, which I swapped those bulbs for LED bulbs, are bright, and so are the LED rear turn signals I installed.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I find the reverse lights on my car very bright, so there might have been something that broke or went wrong with your bulbs. My license plate lights, which I swapped those bulbs for LED bulbs, are bright, and so are the LED rear turn signals I installed.
I'm glad that you don't have any issues with your LED bulbs.

There is nothing "wrong" with my reverse lights...just not as bright as the ones from my G37xS with incandescent bulbs.
As I mentioned, I too replaced my license plate bulbs with LEDs and they did help...they are pretty bright.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm glad that you don't have any issues with your LED bulbs.

There is nothing "wrong" with my reverse lights...just not as bright as the ones from my G37xS with incandescent bulbs.
As I mentioned, I too replaced my license plate bulbs with LEDs and they did help...they are pretty bright.
It would seem odd with the LED reverse lights to be not as bright as incandescent reverse lights, because LEDs are brighter and more energy efficient than incandescents. They also light up 200 milliseconds than incandescents.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It would seem odd with the LED reverse lights to be not as bright as incandescent reverse lights, because LEDs are brighter and more energy efficient than incandescents. They also light up 200 milliseconds than incandescents.
That might be the case, but as far as the reverse lights on my G37xS they were not.
I just found the OEM incandescent bulbs to be brighter with a more disperse pattern that lightened more of the background while in reverse viewing through the back up camera.
My Q50S with the OEM LEDs are almost non existent compared to the G37xS's.

I might just need to re-adjust my brightness/contrast and hope that it will improve.

Worst comes to worst, just try the aftermarket LEDs and see if there is an improvement over the stock ones.

Reactions: ThePremiumQ50

·
Registered
430 Posts
That might be the case, but as far as the reverse lights on my G37xS they were not.
I just found the OEM incandescent bulbs to be brighter with a more disperse pattern that lightened more of the background while in reverse viewing through the back up camera.
My Q50S with the OEM LEDs are almost non existent compared to the G37xS's.

I might just need to re-adjust my brightness/contrast and hope that it will improve.

Worst comes to worst, just try the aftermarket LEDs and see if there is an improvement over the stock ones.
Last resort would be to replace the inner unit(s) of the tail lights

·
Registered
537 Posts
Last resort would be to replace the inner unit(s) of the tail lights
It isn't that much of a deal breaker...can be worked around. ;)
I've pretty got used to it and it's fine for now until I find something else to improve it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright guys here is the latest update.
I replaced the license plate lights. They did help a bit with the dimness but I finally realize my problem with the car is more of the camera clarity. Coming from a Lexus IS350, the Q camera is horrible...? For Infiniti

·
Registered
430 Posts
It isn't that much of a deal breaker...can be worked around. ;)
I've pretty got used to it and it's fine for now until I find something else to improve it.
Good to hear

Reactions: dragion

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 Acura TL back up camera was much better as well...this is very disappointing! A brand new $55,000+ car and I can barely see out of the back-up cam at night! I too replaced the license plate bulbs with little change, and was hoping that changing the back up light bulbs would help.....guess not! Infiniti should be embarrassed by the unacceptable performance of the back up camera for a luxury priced vehicle !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts