Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Stoich???

I was however pointing out that there is far less air-flow at lower speeds so in order to help control engine temperatures, the radiator fans
can only pull so much heat away from the engine at low speeds, so to augment this manufactures can inject additional fuel to help cool the engine.
You're talking about using an A/F ratio "bandaid" to compensate for an underperforming and/or poorly designed cooling system? I think I would just fire the engineer who designed the system and the Sr. Engineer who approved it.

Not that this would ever have to happen, because this would never happen. Sr. Engineers for car companies don't make it to where they are by designing or approving subpar crap.

How so? A cars that runs richer will be less efficient and show up during standard testing, if manufactures
were actively trying to hide that fact during EPA testing then for sure they'd be in deep sh!t.
Right. You're sorta making my point here. You can't run a car rich to try to cool the CC. COs on a drive cycle will be wayyy above max allowable spec.

How would you cool the engine easily elsewhere without increasing manufacturing costs
or the MSRP? Remember even a $50 increase can add up to tens of millions over the
life-cycle of a car.
I would just spec a larger radiator for a few dollars more. Even if it did cost $50 per car, that's cheaper than a recall to put in the radiator that the car should have got in the first place.

By running slightly richer during low-speed operations they are effectively passing that cost over
to the consumer without making any changes on the production line.
Well, sorta. The ECM calibration would need to go (again) under approval, which requires an emissions test, which I can assure you won't pass.

Well, this has now gotten absurd.

I can honestly say that Nissan/Infiniti has the WORST customer service I have ever experience.
We've heard this before. I think once you say the "L" word, they stop caring about you as a customer. I'm sorry to hear you're having this experience. As was advised above, perhaps it's just best to contact an attorney at this point.

For what it's worth, I think this is par for the course across all vehicle makes, so I would just carry on and pick the car that you like best, and hopefully this is just an isolated incident.

I presume you're recording these calls.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
At this point I just wish I'd kept my Lexus.
I too would like to hear how this ends, you definitely would have been taken care of no questions asked if it was a Lexus and it had issues.
Even if they are only a bit better in terms of over-all reliability than Infiniti Toyota/Lexus as a whole is revered for their reliability and they know
it's what sells their cars.

Nissan/Infiniti certainly seems to have forgotten that it was a large part of what made them a successful brand in NA.

Edit: @Loring Hah we should probably take this to PM's or another thread I think we've derailed this one enough as is.
With that said, I agree with most of your points in principle but alas cars are built as cheap as possible these days
all to appease share holders.

The cost savings measures implemented on the Q50 are numerous and the cause of most long time Infiniti
owners fustration with this generation of car, and the stock cooling solution is pretty in-adequate for a performance car.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I'm just going to delete this thread, Nissan is a joke, all their talk about how they treat the customer, ownership experience, etc, is all bullshit. it turned into some shitfest about AF ratios instead

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm just going to delete this thread, it turned into some shitfest about AF ratios instead
Don't man! We're keeping the thread bumped to keep it active in the meantime waiting for updates from you. All threads on this site get derailed, at least this one was technical in nature.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You need to get your self a lemon law attorney. It won't cost you anything because nissan ends up paying their fees in the end. I'm in the same situation right now and I could have got a buy back or kept my car after it's fixed and then get a check for the time I didn't have my car (monthly payments made while car was in the shop) and also a check for having to deal with the whole process.
Where you at with this?

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Don't need to delete the thread.

Just update your first post and add a quick post saying, "First post updated."

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm just going to delete this thread, Nissan is a joke, all their talk about how they treat the customer, ownership experience, etc, is all bullshit. it turned into some shitfest about AF ratios instead
In all fairness, this thread isn't "Nissan", and nobody here works for NNA, AFAIK.

This is the way threads go around here. If the OP doesn't give us updates, we talk about other related things, and that's where the conversation goes.

When the OP comes back with an update, we talk about the update.

Don't take it personally.

If you want us on your side, we're here. If you don't, then just say so.

No big deal.

·
Registered
648 Posts
WOW! This thread took a huge turn for the worse in many ways. I originally though the guy was calm and collected. Understandably he's blown a gasket based on the response he got. I feel for him. Not surprised by either sides reaction though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The cost savings measures implemented on the Q50 are numerous and the cause of most long time Infiniti
owners fustration with this generation of car, and the stock cooling solution is pretty in-adequate for a performance car.

The above is true on just about every manufacturer/vehicle though. I grew up in the business with a GM Family of dealerships run by my family and even after, I have owned nearly every make there is and they all have issues just as bad and worse.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
In all fairness, this thread isn't "Nissan", and nobody here works for NNA, AFAIK.

This is the way threads go around here. If the OP doesn't give us updates, we talk about other related things, and that's where the conversation goes.

When the OP comes back with an update, we talk about the update.

Don't take it personally.

If you want us on your side, we're here. If you don't, then just say so.

No big deal.
^ Yup.

That and I have a very, very short attention span. lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Minor update, the arbitrator lady claimed she would have an engineer out by tomorrow and I am being impatient cuz its only been in the shop for 28 days (an engineer fly from Tennessee to the West coast in 12 hours on zero notice? on a friday? and then what? Ok....)

The dealership confirmed that is total bullshit, in fact they're still trying to get an engineer to even call the technician back as the car sits in pieces lol

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Minor update, the arbitrator lady claimed she would have an engineer out by tomorrow and I am being impatient cuz its only been in the shop for 28 days (an engineer fly from Tennessee to the West coast in 12 hours on zero notice? on a friday? and then what? Ok....)

The dealership confirmed that is total bullshit, in fact they're still trying to get an engineer to even call the technician back as the car sits in pieces lol
Well having a technician on-call for issues that keeps a go-bag isn't uncommon in support industries, I spent 2 years in a support role for IT Infrastructure where I was on a call rotation.

But I'd say the dealership is being totally strait with you, there is no way Infiniti maintains enough skilled technicians to send someone on-site within even 24 hours on a Friday...
Especially when the cost to the company is comparatively small in this case, at best someone will arrive on Tuesday and then another 1-2 days investigating
the issue and reviewing the work already completed on the car.

I have to say you really do have an awesome dealership by the sounds of things.

·
Registered
648 Posts
When you get the car back set that thing on fire and claim a fuel line or something must not have been assembled correctly. All I can say is something bad would happen to it if mine were putting me through this.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Well having a technician on-call for issues that keeps a go-bag isn't uncommon in support industries, I spent 2 years in a support role for IT Infrastructure where I was on a call rotation.

But I'd say the dealership is being totally strait with you, there is no way Infiniti maintains enough skilled technicians to send someone on-site within even 24 hours on a Friday...
Especially when the cost to the company is comparatively small in this case, at best someone will arrive on Tuesday and then another 1-2 days investigating
the issue and reviewing the work already completed on the car.

I have to say you really do have an awesome dealership by the sounds of things.

Typical Support and Engineering relationship. Support would immediately try getting his feet wet, jump into the issue and get it resolved as quickly as possible. But if it needs to be escalated to engineering, engineering just take their sweeeeet time as there's normally no SLA lol That's why I stay on the engineering side.

I had a brief chat with a service advisor at a local Infiniti when I brought the car in for service earlier this month. I asked about VR30 engine issues they've handled, specifically on belt alignment, oil consumption and turbo issues. He said he could not remember anything in specific as it's very rare for them to see one. The only thing he mentioned was belt squealing - not shredded though - and they just align it per TSB and that's about it. He added that their techs would love to handle blown turbo as they never had it before. So I figure many infiniti techs are just trained and only a few have the hands-on chance dealing with actual problem in the shop.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So I figure many infiniti techs are just trained and only a few have the hands-on chance dealing with actual problem in the shop.
I think you are right

as for the engineer, you are also right. If the engineer ever does come, he's just gonna stand here like wtf why am I here?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Typical Support and Engineering relationship. Support would immediately try getting his feet wet, jump into the issue and get it resolved as quickly as possible. But if it needs to be escalated to engineering, engineering just take their sweeeeet time as there's normally no SLA lol That's why I stay on the engineering side.

I had a brief chat with a service advisor at a local Infiniti when I brought the car in for service earlier this month. I asked about VR30 engine issues they've handled, specifically on belt alignment, oil consumption and turbo issues. He said he could not remember anything in specific as it's very rare for them to see one. The only thing he mentioned was belt squealing - not shredded though - and they just align it per TSB and that's about it. He added that their techs would love to handle blown turbo as they never had it before. So I figure many infiniti techs are just trained and only a few have the hands-on chance dealing with actual problem in the shop.
Hah true enough, I technically have SLA's despite my senior support role but they don't track them for my performance/response time
that is only for T1 support and incident managers. That said I'm client facing so I usually need to get the issues sorted sooner rather than later.

But it's good to hear that your shop hasn't see too many issues a fair number of people reported much the same and 2-3 people said
Service Managers were seeing lots of issues. That said it's always a little amusing how technicians want to see specific issues so they can get some
hands on with it to back up the theory.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Working for both companies, I can tell you that GM has field service engineers located all over the country, who drive to dealers in their region as needed. Porsche, on the other hand, keeps all their PCNA engineers in Atlanta, and there's only one or two engineers that are needed for issues like this (just based solely on the number of cars on the road), and they fly out to the dealer when they're needed.

Personally, I wouldn't acknowledge the NNA rep's opinion of whether or not I was being impatient. It's irrelevant. If the limit in your state is 30 days, then it's in their best interest to perform a repair attempt before it's been 30 days down. Either way, they'll probably ask for a final repair attempt.

I would just talk to the rep as little as possible until they perform that repair. If they say that can't duplicate the concern, remind them that the technician heard the noise and acknowledged that there was a problem.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
. If the limit in your state is 30 days, then it's in their best interest to perform a repair attempt before it's been 30 days down. Either way, they'll probably ask for a final repair attempt.
she started talking in circles shouting at me, so I just hung up on her. Nissan Arbitrators don't even require a college degree, but they'd have you think they are supreme court judges

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think you are right

as for the engineer, you are also right. If the engineer ever does come, he's just gonna stand here like wtf why am I here?
I literally LOL'd at this statement. I'm an engineer and I've literally experienced that exact situation multiple times in my career. But, hey, I guess that is what they wanted... you just try to find a way to be helpful.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts