Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My G37 lease had three months remaining and I have been driving various cars as I look for a replacement.

My last five vehicles have been 325, 328, M35X, G37 Convert, Q50S (the only reason I mention this is for comparison purposes).

I drove the 330 and A4 back when I chose the M35. I went with the M35 at that time because it was the most bang for the buck by a large margin. I recently drove the 335 and S4 prior to choosing the Q50 (I briefly considered the ATS and CTS but I just don't like the hard lines vs the curves of the Q). I really didn't want another infinity but here is why I chose the infinity over the other possibilities (again).

I really liked the audi's and I think they handle the best but they are not visually appealing, at least to me. The S5 looks good but I need 4 doors and the A7 is great but too expensive for a second car.

The 3 series is the benchmark but I was really surprised when I sat in the 2014 335. The interior reminded me A LOT of my first 3 series from the early 2000's. It has been updated but it was too similar for my tastes.

The Q was not the best in any one particular category but in totality I found it superior to the competition. Exterior and interior styling are great. Once you start to add options it just keeps getting better when compared to the audi and bmw.

As far as comparing the Q50S Hybrid to my G37 convertible, there is almost no comparison between the two. I don't know if it is the torque or the 300-400lb difference in weight but the Q is noticeably quicker.

The seats in the Q are awesome. I didn't have the sport package in the G, but the Q sport seats are great.

The bose sound system is a lot better. I have Harmon Kardon Logic 7 in a different vehicle and I believe that is the best sound system I have experienced in a car but the new bose system is great. The bose in my g37 had a lot of bass and lacked the clear mid and highs. The new system has much clearer mids and highs. I have played multiple different types of music in the Q and the sound is great.

I started with a bias/concern about the steering. I have no problem whatsoever with the steering at this point. I have changed the mode from light to standard and standard to sport. I don't really like the light setting but the standard and sport are great. What they might lack in feedback they more than make up for in response.

I have read about some poor hand-off's between the battery and engine. I have experienced the following...

Engine to battery is seamless.
Battery to engine under brisk acceleration is seamless and a lot of fun!
Battery to engine under normal acceleration is seamless.
Battery to engine under light acceleration sometimes causes a stutter. I have felt it when hovering around 20 mph when the car decides it needs to charge the battery or add some hp. I felt the same exact stutter when I was driving a MB loaner that had an econ mode. It would shut down cylinders while idling and then restart those cylinders causing a very slight stutter. This wasn't a hybrid, it was just a small vibration you could feel during startup. I have no problems with the hand-off in the Q50.

The brakes are going to require a learning curve, I just can't bring the car to a smooth stop. I don't know if the brakes are modulating as a result of the hybrid charge but I will get used to it.

Overall, if you are moving from a G into a Q you will be extremely happy. This is a huge leap forward and a much better vehicle. If you are shopping for a small/mid size sedan you have to drive the Q. It is the best looking in my opinion, the interior is in another league, the value is high when compared to the other cars with similar options, and we haven't even exploited the convenience/entertainment value of the apps.

I'm a happy Q owner.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The only thing you will miss with Q50 is the open air drive of G37 Convertible. Otherwise Q50H-S is lot nicer in many features.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
My G37 lease had three months remaining and I have been driving various cars as I look for a replacement.

My last five vehicles have been 325, 328, M35X, G37 Convert, Q50S (the only reason I mention this is for comparison purposes).

I drove the 330 and A4 back when I chose the M35. I went with the M35 at that time because it was the most bang for the buck by a large margin. I recently drove the 335 and S4 prior to choosing the Q50 (I briefly considered the ATS and CTS but I just don't like the hard lines vs the curves of the Q). I really didn't want another infinity but here is why I chose the infinity over the other possibilities (again).

I really liked the audi's and I think they handle the best but they are not visually appealing, at least to me. The S5 looks good but I need 4 doors and the A7 is great but too expensive for a second car.

The 3 series is the benchmark but I was really surprised when I sat in the 2014 335. The interior reminded me A LOT of my first 3 series from the early 2000's. It has been updated but it was too similar for my tastes.

The Q was not the best in any one particular category but in totality I found it superior to the competition. Exterior and interior styling are great. Once you start to add options it just keeps getting better when compared to the audi and bmw.

As far as comparing the Q50S Hybrid to my G37 convertible, there is almost no comparison between the two. I don't know if it is the torque or the 300-400lb difference in weight but the Q is noticeably quicker.

The seats in the Q are awesome. I didn't have the sport package in the G, but the Q sport seats are great.

The bose sound system is a lot better. I have Harmon Kardon Logic 7 in a different vehicle and I believe that is the best sound system I have experienced in a car but the new bose system is great. The bose in my g37 had a lot of bass and lacked the clear mid and highs. The new system has much clearer mids and highs. I have played multiple different types of music in the Q and the sound is great.

I started with a bias/concern about the steering. I have no problem whatsoever with the steering at this point. I have changed the mode from light to standard and standard to sport. I don't really like the light setting but the standard and sport are great. What they might lack in feedback they more than make up for in response.

I have read about some poor hand-off's between the battery and engine. I have experienced the following...

Engine to battery is seamless.
Battery to engine under brisk acceleration is seamless and a lot of fun!
Battery to engine under normal acceleration is seamless.
Battery to engine under light acceleration sometimes causes a stutter. I have felt it when hovering around 20 mph when the car decides it needs to charge the battery or add some hp. I felt the same exact stutter when I was driving a MB loaner that had an econ mode. It would shut down cylinders while idling and then restart those cylinders causing a very slight stutter. This wasn't a hybrid, it was just a small vibration you could feel during startup. I have no problems with the hand-off in the Q50.

The brakes are going to require a learning curve, I just can't bring the car to a smooth stop. I don't know if the brakes are modulating as a result of the hybrid charge but I will get used to it.

Overall, if you are moving from a G into a Q you will be extremely happy. This is a huge leap forward and a much better vehicle. If you are shopping for a small/mid size sedan you have to drive the Q. It is the best looking in my opinion, the interior is in another league, the value is high when compared to the other cars with similar options, and we haven't even exploited the convenience/entertainment value of the apps.

I'm a happy Q owner.
Nice feedback! I echo your sentiments on everything with the Q, esp. the surprisingly satisfying new Bose system & the overall luxury design of the car. Btw, I'd never guess you'd owned a G prior to your Q; you spell Infiniti with a "y". Usually see that w/ newbies lol :p Post some pics!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Btw, I'd never guess you'd owned a G prior to your Q; you spell Infiniti with a "y". Usually see that w/ newbies lol :p Post some pics!
I should know that by now, this is my 3rd infinity! :)

I have three great pics, two of the wood trim that comes with the tech package. There are not a lot of interior pics on the forum and I think the wood colored trim looks great with the dark interior. Now I just need to figure out how to upload pics!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost 1000 miles on my Q50s Hybrid AWD and thought an update would be helpful...

I am very impressed with the hybrid. When I drive locally I am repeatedly amazed at how far I can travel on the battery power only.

I honestly don't understand the complaints about the steering. I think the normal mode is too light but the sport mode is fine. I have been driving a host of Mercedes Benz loaners while my other car has been in the shop. I drove several C class and GLX loaners and compared their steering to my Q. The Benz is actually heavier than the heaviest setting on the Q. The only think I can think of is people are leaving the "lane assist" (or whatever it is called") and the brake drag is catching them off guard. I have my steering set heavy, quick, with no lane assist.

I needed to get out of my Gconvertable due to a new baby and the Q handles the baby seat perfectly.

I can get two sets of hockey equipment bags in the trunk which is all i need.

I never had adaptive headlights before nor would I think to pay for them but they are awesome and I will add them to future cars. They work great.

Performance wise this is way faster than my M35x and G37 convertible.

My only real complaint remains to be the brakes. They modulate while charging the battery and it is difficult to come to a smooth stop.

Other than that issue this car has exceeded my expectations. I look forward to the apps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good to hear others are having problems modulating the brakes to come to a smooth stop. It's driving me crazy. I'm thinking of starting a thread on the topic to see if others are in the same boat, and maybe talking to infiniti about changing the software or hardware to smooth it out (if it's even possible).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.