Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gasser Q50S. I have a problem that if I apply full throttle in sport mode the engine will rev to 7800-8000 rpm while the transmission is in auto mode - the rev limiter then sets in and the power is cut off for 1s until the transmission can up shift. The delayed shift is ridiculously long.

Anybody else notice this? Not a sports sedan experience! My 2004 G35x was better than that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a gasser Q50S. I have a problem that if I apply full throttle in sport mode the engine will rev to 7800-8000 rpm while the transmission is in auto mode - the rev limiter then sets in and the power is cut off for 1s until the transmission can up shift. The delayed shift is ridiculously long.

Anybody else notice this? Not a sports sedan experience! My 2004 G35x was better than that.
Is traction control turned in off?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I beat the $hit out of my car everyday and haven't had this happen yet lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's why you have to shift it yourself, I notice the same thing, when we are dulling pulls in sports mode in automatic it shifts way prior to redline, but I have actually been able to get it 500 RPMs past redline when I'm shifting it myself

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
7800-8000 rpm :eek::eek::eek:

Redline is 7,000. Remind me not to buy your car when you're through with it. Let me guess: You're leasing it. I feel sorry for the person who ends up with it next.:(
Wow...

Were you castrated?

Who doesnt redline their Q50?

And for the record....the ECU does not give you the ability to rev past 7,600 rpms.....its physically impossible to reach 8K.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Wow...

Were you castrated?

Who doesnt redline their Q50?

And for the record....the ECU does not give you the ability to rev past 7,600 rpms.....its physically impossible to reach 8K.
I was trying to be polite. O.K., this is really what I was thinking:

I have read many posts on this forum, basically saying that if you are going to abuse the car, you need to lease it, so someone else gets the problems later on. I'm not talking about someone who goes past the redline once or twice, most likely by accident, but someone who figures that it's all right to beat the car up because they won't have to worry about things later. In other words, to **** with everyone else; they don't matter. The popular term has been the "Me Generation," though that kind of selfishness and apathy towards someone else can be found in all generations. I guess those who think that way aren't upset with the sharks on Wall Street who screwed over so many people, because after all, they have the same attitude. And I'm sure you don't mind the slow, left lane driving jerks on the road who block you in, because they're just doing what they want, without any concern for others. I know this is going "over the top," but I've become more and more fed up with people who have no consideration for anyone else. Sorry for the rant, but that attitude really hits a nerve with me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
if your not getting your q50 to redline at least once a day, your not doing it right

Reactions: sperry

·
Registered
21 Posts

Something like this happened to me yesterday, but I think it was traction control issue though, idk...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are missing the point I was in automatic. If I floor the throttle I expect it to shift not go past redline then rev limit! I did not mess with traction control it was on whic is default. Maybe hybrid is different but gasser redline shows 7500 on the tach

·
Registered
225 Posts
You are missing the point I was in automatic. If I floor the throttle I expect it to shift not go past redline then rev limit! I did not mess with traction control it was on whic is default. Maybe hybrid is different but gasser redline shows 7500 on the tach
It was your traction control. Car was detecting slip and not shifting. (Saving your ass)

Had this happen before in other cars. If going through 1st-3rd and flooring it traction control needs to be off or this more than likely will happen.

Redline is 7,500 on the 3.7L and 7,000 on the 3.5L. So your rpms are right.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

I have read many posts on this forum, basically saying that if you are going to abuse the car, you need to lease it, so someone else gets the problems later on. I'm not talking about someone who goes past the redline once or twice, most likely by accident, but someone who figures that it's all right to beat the car up because they won't have to worry about things later. In other words, to **** with everyone else; they don't matter. The popular term has been the "Me Generation," though that kind of selfishness and apathy towards someone else can be found in all generations. I guess those who think that way aren't upset with the sharks on Wall Street who screwed over so many people, because after all, they have the same attitude. And I'm sure you don't mind the slow, left lane driving jerks on the road who block you in, because they're just doing what they want, without any concern for others. I know this is going "over the top," but I've become more and more fed up with people who have no consideration for anyone else. Sorry for the rant, but that attitude really hits a nerve with me.

Uhm yeah, you definitely went "over the top".

What Im saying is....this car is DESIGNED to be driven HARD. They are considered "performance" vehicles. These engines are redlined at the Nissan factories for hours on end to make sure that they are completely stout and can withstand "abuse" . They intentionally code the software in the ECU to never allow the revs to surpass a specific number, so its physically impossible to ever break the code, unless you use a different ECU or modify your existing one.

Bottom line, a few redlines a week is actually HEALTHY for your engine, it burns up carbon deposits in your cylinder walls. These engines are meant to live happily in high rev ranges.

Please DRIVE your car

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I redlined the car the night I picked it up from the dealer.

In fact, I hit fuel cut in 4th gear...doing 120+ on the highway on the way back home from the dealer.

Still drives like day one.
I just keep hearing about having to "break-in" the car a little. It's only been a week or so since I hit 1,000 miles so I guess that's the excuse I'm using. :eek:

It's weird. As much as I love performance cars, I don't always drive like it. ;)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Uhm yeah, you definitely went "over the top".

What Im saying is....this car is DESIGNED to be driven HARD. They are considered "performance" vehicles. These engines are redlined at the Nissan factories for hours on end to make sure that they are completely stout and can withstand "abuse" . They intentionally code the software in the ECU to never allow the revs to surpass a specific number, so its physically impossible to ever break the code, unless you use a different ECU or modify your existing one.

Bottom line, a few redlines a week is actually HEALTHY for your engine, it burns up carbon deposits in your cylinder walls. These engines are meant to live happily in high rev ranges.

Please DRIVE your car
I was responding to his claim of going way over the redline, and I was assuming(I'm sure correctly), that he plans on doing that quite often. Of course, giving the engine a good workout is good for it, but constant abuse is detrimental to its long life. As I said, there are many posts on here that implied that they would lease the car so that they don't have any qualms about abusing it, leaving it for the next owner to have the problems. I stand by my statement.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The Q50 traction control is way to sensitive. It cut power way too early.
I had it turn off every time I drive now, unless it is raining or the surface is wet. The driving is so much better when TC is off especially with my Michelin A/S3 tires :)

It was your traction control. Car was detecting slip and not shifting.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Well said... thanks for sharing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.