Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to take an overdue opportunity to give a review and shoutout to Master-Certified Infiniti Technician @MobileTechGundam for his mobile auto service for Nissan / Infiniti vehicles. I ran into an issue back in June where the water pump went out on my 2010 G37 Sedan. I was returning, incidentally, from looking at a Q50 that had come in at the dealer. The G went into limp mode about 5 miles from my house due to overheating. It had belched pretty much all of the coolant on to the pavement and it was around 107°F that day, so not a fun time. I had the car towed back to my house.

I messaged MobileTechGundam here on the forum as he had recently joined the forum 6 days prior. We setup a time and he came out to my house and did a free diagnosis. We were pretty sure it was the water pump, so we setup the repair and he ordered the parts. Since the front timing cover was coming off of the engine, I figured it would be the perfect opportunity to take care of the galley gasket issue as well.

MobileTechGundam showed up on time to begin the repair and I wound up assisting. It was a job that I could have done, but it would have taken me 4 times longer to do and I inevitably would have run into the dreaded "I don't have this tool issue", ergo enlisting MTG's expertise. We didn't have to take the front end off fortunately but it was still around an 11-hour job. Once we got the water pump off, we discovered that it wasn't the two o-ring seals that had failed, but the internal seal around the impeller shaft. When this seal goes, it opens a passage or a weep hole that ejects coolant outside of the engine, and not inside the engine. I thought that was a brilliant bit of engineering by Nissan/Infiniti in preventing coolant from mixing with the engine oil.

MTG remarked about how clean the inside of the G's VQ37 engine was at 160k miles. I told him the secret was a lifetime diet of Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 with regular oil changes. There was literally zero sludge buildup on any of the internal components, as well as the oil pan.

The oil galley gasket was partially broken so it was only a matter of time before it lost oil pressure. It was rather tough to scrape the 10-year old gasket off. The new gasket is metal and has some sort of silicone type of material over it, but looks to have been redesigned from the original paper gasket. With that being said, it won't ever recur because thankfully, the gasket flaw was addressed.

We had a lot of great conversations about various different cars, including Subaru's (which he also works on), and the Nissan/Infiniti community and struck up a great friendship. We got the car all back together and did a fairly long test drive to make sure everything was back in working order and no leaks or codes were appearing. MTG is a stand-up guy and even replaced my serpentine belt at no charge.

I wound up selling my G because I did pickup that Q that I looked at down at the dealer. The new owner is very happy with the car so far. He had an ignition coil go out a few weeks ago and I passed MobileTechGundam's contact info along to him. MTG looked at it and it was determine that the coil on cylinder 1 had gone out. MTG took good care of him and the G is running flawlessly again.

It was tough to sell the G because I owned it for 10 years and 3 months, but it went to a great dude and he's getting a lot of enjoyment out of it as well. It's very gratifying to be able to pass along the contact information for my mechanic to the new owner, knowing that he'll take good care of him.

Folks like @MobileTechGundam are rare, and a real asset, not only to the community, but also to the Nissan/Infiniti brand. I would trust MTG with any repair on my Infiniti and fully recommend and endorse him. He recently got his own shop space, and I was able to attend his grand opening, which ended up being a massive car show with everything from Nissan/Infiniti, to Maserati's, BMW's and Mustangs.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,286 Posts
We are most fortunate to have MTG as a forum member. I wish we had a few more Infiniti service techs frequenting this forum.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Aye a great technician is hard to find and even more so those that visit forums to help people out on their spare time, I hope we see a few more as time goes on
their insight is truly invaluable.

Reactions: twin_snails

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ I agree. This is the first forum I've been on that's had an Infiniti Master Tech join and it's definitely helpful. I'm going to post the same review on the myg37.com forum because there's a lot of folks in DFW that have G's and I want to see his business take off and do extremely well.

Reactions: Avedis53
1 - 6 of 6 Posts