Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone noticed any Rim damage?

I've only put about 1000 miles and am already seeing damage to the rims. :( Not sure what caused it.

I have not hit or parked too close to any curbs. The attached files show the damage.

Also, all my rims seemed to be marked with a blue paint mark on each tire - this may be a stupid question, but should that be there?

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
i have the blue mark too...very hard to remove...and havent done so...has for the damage...might be a pothole or something from daily driving...i too have some road rash on my passenger front wheel...which made me cry for 3 days...lol

Reactions: ChuckQ50

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the blue mark too...very hard to remove...and havent done so...has for the damage...might be a pothole or something from daily driving...i too have some road rash on my passenger front wheel...which made me cry for 3 days...lol
LOL, yeah it kinda sucks and I know it's probably more noticeable to us owners than anyone else, but still... I'm guessing there is no risk of rust since these rims are aluminum?

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I had those same dots when I bought mine in October. About a week after I had it I took it to the dealer to have the Welcome Lights installed and the dealership detailed it. I noticed that the dots were gone. They detailed it the day I bought it, and I am not sure why they weren't removed then.:confused:

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Sounds like the dots are to help either robots or humans put the tires on the wheels. I'm betting robots.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dots...

Those dots identify the heaviest/lightest points on the rim/tire. When the tire is mounted the marks are lined up. That minimizes the amount of balancing weights that have to be applied.

Unfortunately, that damaged area on the rim has compromised the clearcoat. Over time as water, dirt, detergent, etc. gets in there it will cause the clear coat to start separating from the rim and the aluminum will discolor as it oxidizes.

Rust is just another word for the oxidization of steel. Aluminum "rusts" too. It just does it differently than steel does. It turns dark grey on the surface exposed to the air.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have the rim damage also, and it seemed to come from no where because I have not hit any curbs either. I thought it might have been from driving through the automatic car wash after we had some ice here in Dallas. Curious as to what really caused it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Those dots identify the heaviest/lightest points on the rim/tire. When the tire is mounted the marks are lined up. That minimizes the amount of balancing weights that have to be applied.
Those are beauty marks:p
Original Equipment (OE) tire suppliers are required to mark the tire's "high point" while OE wheel manufacturers mark the wheel's "low point." This helps the vehicle manufacturer match mount combinations that maximize new car ride quality while reducing the amount of balancing weight.

Wait until you get new tires installed at the dealership. Those idiots will make it look like you curb your wheels. All 4 of them.
Depends on the dealer...;)

Reactions: boone

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone noticed any Rim damage?

I've only put about 1000 miles and am already seeing damage to the rims. :( Not sure what caused it.

I have not hit or parked too close to any curbs. The attached files show the damage.

Also, all my rims seemed to be marked with a blue paint mark on each tire - this may be a stupid question, but should that be there?

Almost looks like you hit something like a metal grate/cover really hard. You remember driving over one of those metal covers on the road recently (what they use to temporarily cover up a hole)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting topic; I have 1700 miles on my Q and was told all four rims are bent over $2400 ! I'm thinking that would be a memorable pothole(s) but I haven't got a clue. I called Infiniti and have a case number opened - we'll see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.