·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Hmmm.

Another comparison review where the Q50's steering ultimately became its downfall. :( First Motortrend and now this....I guess we'll hear from Car and Driver next?

...and what a shocker. The Lexus IS350 F-Sport wins another comparison test.... ;) Hmmm.

*walks away whistling positively* :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Hmmm is right. I might stop by Lexus and drive an IS-350. The only problem is that the front is really ugly.
Well, the way I look at it---don't let these reviews sway you too much. All 4 of these cars are great in their own way---they're all so close at doing the same thing that they'll still manage to appeal to different people and their preferences. So, keep that in mind while you're on your journey. Also, I still feel like the Q50 keeps ruining its chances in these comparison tests because the testers might not be 100% knowledgeable about how to use the DAS? Hmmm.

As for the looks of the IS350---Oh, you'll forget about that after a while...You're spending 90% of your time inside of it anyway.

Oh, and if that doesn't work, try and get that fancy Rioja red interior--that should distract people away from the outside of the car. :) Also, if you test drive the car, make sure you find one that has the VGRS/AVS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering/Adaptive Variable Suspension) too! Also, if you can find one with the Mark Levinson system, you're golden--those are getting rare. :(

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Good news is we have lots of choices!!

I choose the Q50:)

Reactions: tt_45

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
It does, but the grille is still too much. I've seen a white IS250 on my morning commute for two days now and overall its nice but, I can't dig the grille. Def aimed at a younger audience than the Q50 in terms of looks though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It does, but the grille is still too much. I've seen a white IS250 on my morning commute for two days now and overall its nice but, I can't dig the grille. Def aimed at a younger audience than the Q50 in terms of looks though.
I actually like the grill. It's the separated LEDs that I sometimes can't get past, especially on the lighter colors. On the black or grey, it's not that noticeable and looks better IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I still will tell you that if you're still in the market and you're still on the fence, give it a try anyway.

I don't know how much of it actually has to do with age. ****, I like the design of the new IS and I was fawning over Buicks and Regals when I was 25 years old.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmmm.

Another comparison review where the Q50's steering ultimately became its downfall. :( First Motortrend and now this....I guess we'll hear from Car and Driver next?
Just got my new Car & Driver today in the mail and it's not looking too good for the Q50. The review is pretty much the same at the others we have seen:

At all times, the steering feels lifeless, even when it's clearly alive and pursuing it's own agenda. You can dial up or down the steering effort and even its response rate, but it's always too heavy or too light, and the scrub loading and self centering never feel natural. Your hands might as well be spinning the Wheel of Fortune.

and then:

The successor to the original G35 really isn't one. The Q50 is much more about luxury and tech than driving pleasure.

I have been driving for a few decades and reading car road test for longer than that. When so many testers agree on something, it is not bias. It's a problem with the car.

The DAS is not inherently bad. It would be fine on another car but not on a sports sedan. Electric power steering was awful when it first came out and now it has improved. Hopefully the same will happen with the DAS. Further development is needed.

Because there is basically a great car there, Infiniti could fix the problems easily. I think that if these testers were testing cars without the DAS and with better tires (as in not run flats) the Q50 would have received rave reviews

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Just got my new Car & Driver today in the mail and it's not looking too good for the Q50. The review is pretty much the same at the others we have seen:

At all times, the steering feels lifeless, even when it's clearly alive and pursuing it's own agenda. You can dial up or down the steering effort and even its response rate, but it's always too heavy or too light, and the scrub loading and self centering never feel natural. Your hands might as well be spinning the Wheel of Fortune.

and then:

The successor to the original G35 really isn't one. The Q50 is much more about luxury and tech than driving pleasure.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The DAS is not inherently bad. It would be fine on another car but not on a sports sedan. Electric power steering was awful when it first came out and now it has improved. Hopefully the same will happen with the DAS. Further development is needed.

Because there is basically a great car there, Infiniti could fix the problems easily. I think that if these testers were testing cars without the DAS and with better tires (as in not run flats) the Q50 would have received rave reviews
Do you have a Q50, have you test driven one? Sorry I didn't go back to find out.

What problems exist with the DAS? I have driven mine for over a thousand miles so far and not one problem with the DAS.

I think that if the testers weren't told about the DAS or if they were educated in how to customize it, plus new tires and not the RFTs, the results would be much better. NOT ONE article did I read or video did I watch, did any one of the testers discuss or show them changing the DAS settings, NOT ONE. Not only that I don't think I read anyone changing the driving settings at all. Did they change it to "sport" mode? Did they personalize the settings to one that better suits the feel they are looking for? I haven't read or watch that in any of the videos. If I'm wrong and missed it please enlighten me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have test driven both DAS and hydraulic.

Also some of the articles specifically mention that they had a preference for std/std setting which means to me that they were aware of and tried the others. For instance in the Car & Driver article quote:
You can dial up or down the steering effort and even its response rate, but it's always too heavy or too light...
This says to me that they knew about and tried the various settings. Other articles are similar.

Again, this is a matter of expectations of what kind of steering a sports sedan should have. It is not inherently bad and on another car it would be fine. (On the Lexus ES350 it would be a vast improvement.)

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have test driven both DAS and hydraulic.

Also some of the articles specifically mention that they had a preference for std/std setting which means to me that they were aware of and tried the others. For instance in the Car & Driver article quote:
You can dial up or down the steering effort and even its response rate, but it's always too heavy or too light...
This says to me that they knew about and tried the various settings. Other articles are similar.

Again, this is a matter of expectations of what kind of steering a sports sedan should have. It is not inherently bad and on another car it would be fine. (On the Lexus ES350 it would be a vast improvement.)
You are correct, I do remember that but I don't think they actively tested in each mode which I believe should be done. I say that because many reviews on the IS350 F sport say that the handling is ok but the harder you push it the better it gets. If they don't push the Q50 in each mode and report on it then I think their thoughts are not valid or thorough enough. I would like to see closed track times in each mode to give a good representation of the cars capabilities based on each mode. If they aren't going to do that they are just testing the default mode which might not be the best mode. In fact the throttle response in standard mode is slower than in sport mode, they never mention that.

I'm not saying the Q is worlds better than all of those cars but if they are going to do a test, they should do a full test and that includes testing the IS in default mode, S and S+ modes as well.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Maybe the G37 needs a true successor, which is coming in the Q60. The Q50 addressed all the criticisms of the G37 sedan, i.e. raspy, thrashy engine, road noise, interior felt dated, etc. But what happens when they fix all the problems the press complained about?

The car gets dinged for being too soft, quiet, and civilized.

I think the main problem is that maybe Infiniti leaned too hard towards luxury and not enough towards sport. The IS is clearly winning based on this balance. My early estimation of the Q50 being a little brother M37 appears to be accurate after all.

Still, it is the first of many new models, and the venerable VQ37 still overpowers most competitors, and is very tractable (power available throughout the gear range). If they can recapture some emotion from the G37 sedan/coupe in the new coupe by keeping it slightly raw, I think the press will warm up to them. Still, no matter what, the press has always dropped a deuce on Infiniti no matter what sales numbers look like. I don't think anyone threw a party for the JX but it has been very successful.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.