Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, honestly I can't comment about the DAS as I think it works well in my driving situations. But what I see in the scoring is that the IS scored a 5 in Driver comfort/support. I can agree with support but not comfort, again this is subjective. And I simply don't understand the scoring for Exterior styling. IS gets a 4.5 and Q a 2.5? Really? I like the IS looks but I don't think I would score it a 4.5 out of 5 and the Q so low. Those scores, to me, makes this "test" somewhat invalid in many areas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Considering the Lexus IS practically ran away with the competition, outscoring the second placed BMW 335i M-Sport by a whopping 4 points when only 2.5-3.5 points separated the rest, I don't think docking the IS 1-2 points for comfort and styling would have changed the eventual ranking...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Considering the Lexus IS practically ran away with the competition, outscoring the second placed BMW 335i M-Sport by a whopping 4 points when only 2.5-3.5 points separated the rest, I don't think docking the IS 1-2 points for comfort and styling would have changed the eventual ranking...
Maybe not but that isn't my point.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the article... Need to get it so I can read the details, but I was able to see the table with the scores. I'm a Q50 owner, so admittedly not independent, but most of those are subjective. If someone wants to buy me the car, I'll take any of those 4 and drive happily, but when it's my money, I develop my own ranking and... Well look at that, Q50 wins.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Thanks for the article... Need to get it so I can read the details, but I was able to see the table with the scores. I'm a Q50 owner, so admittedly not independent, but most of those are subjective. If someone wants to buy me the car, I'll take any of those 4 and drive happily, but when it's my money, I develop my own ranking and... Well look at that, Q50 wins.
I wouldn't expect to see a comment like that on any other forum. ;)

Here's the full write-up. Check the last page for the full drill-down of the numbers.

Some of the knocks against the Q50 have been so consistent across the board that the line of subjectivity is getting very blurry. Only when it comes to visual styling is where the subjectivity would be most pertinent. These comparison tests aren't trying to say that you bought the wrong car. Don't look at it that way.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
It's funny but the most subjective part of the test, the appearance of the car, is where most people agree. That Lexus IS is butt ugly.
Conformity at its finest.

I think it's just a knee-jerk reaction to a styling that's so different from what's been done before. It took a leap in design whereas some of the competition only took a step.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sometime it takes a while to get used to a new look and sometimes it's just ugly.
Sometimes it is conformity at its finest and sometimes its just a universal truth.
The Acura beak was different but no one was buying it. The Pontiac Aztek was pretty different also. Only time will tell for sure on the Lexus IS.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Sometime it takes a while to get used to a new look and sometimes it's just ugly.
Sometimes it is conformity at its finest and sometimes its just a universal truth.
The Acura beak was different but no one was buying it. The Pontiac Aztek was pretty different also. Only time will tell for sure on the Lexus IS.
We all know how conformity plays a factor in how we decide to spend our money on this. Perception can really take hold if you let it. People will continue to buy the things that they think they should--not necessarily because they want to.

The Aztek had a lot more problems with it other than its styling. The Acura TL has been around for a very long time and even though its design has been tweaked, it's still been selling pretty ok the last time I checked--because it had style and the performance to keep it afloat.

I've read and watch my fair share of reviews on the Lexus IS and there is far from a unanimous cry out to the design of the car. It's more like a 60-love it/40-hate it split from what I've seen.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
At least reviews like this this will push Infiniti to work on updating the system - maybe more settings or adjusting current one.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
At least reviews like this this will push Infiniti to work on updating the system - maybe more settings or adjusting current one.
Good point. Since it's software driven, in theory there are an infinite number of possible settings for the DAS. Maybe they can throw in a hardcore track mode that gives full feedback instead of softening the road. Still won't fix the runflats. Pondering if an IPL model is on the horizon.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I can believe them in saying it may lack some feel, I mean its not mechanically connected most times, but I think a lot of these reviewers are getting in with preconceptions and already having their mind made up.

But what really blows my mind is they rated the Q50 last in styling. I know its subjective but, Really? AND THE put the IS first... smh

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I can believe them in saying it may lack some feel, I mean its not mechanically connected most times, but I think a lot of these reviewers are getting in with preconceptions and already having their mind made up.

But what really blows my mind is they rated the Q50 last in styling. I know its subjective but, Really? AND THE put the IS first... smh
Kids these days! *shakes walker*

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
From an interior styling standpoint, I can see how the Infiniti would place #2. I think it definitely hits the mark better in terms of creating a premium feel over the ATS and the BMW. So let's not ignore that---that's good, right?

As for the exterior styling, I only disagree in that I think the BMW should be at the bottom. For me personally, I'm actually getting very bored with BMW's design. Don't get me wrong, the 2012+ updates for the sedans are leaps and bounds better than what they looked like 4-5 years ago.

Also, I can see how they would might prefer the ATS and the IS over the Q50 in exterior styling. Having seen the ATS up close, it's a very sharp look. It's a very well sculpted from back to front and it had a very interesting stance from the front and front 3/4's view. For me, I like it a lot but looks almost too much like the old CTS. I think it's going to show its age a bit sooner than the others.

Here's the thing---remember, Motortrend really liked the exterior of the Q50. They preferred it over the IS350. The Q50 has new great lines and a nice powerful stance. However, I'm wondering if R&T felt that the Q50 wasn't unique enough from the old G? I remember this being brought up in a few other reviews. I can see that the Q50 still has a few humps and bumps very reminiscent of the old G and might be seen as having redundant styling cues (I bet several casual people still might mistake it for a Lexus)? People have criticized the Q50's rear before by not being too conservative in relation to its very ostentatious front end?

Their rationale might be similar to mine in that there exists an emotional response to the design of the IS350. Its very brash and noisy like it means business. It's a totally different animal--there is not a single car like it on the road right now. I think there are a lot of drivers that like that in a car.

Let me be clear, I don't know if I personally like the IS350's exterior design better than the Q50--but at the same time, I don't think the IS350 is ugly--not by a long shot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Exterior looks wise people will have their preferences that are hard to judge. I personally love the F sport grille but don't like the rest of the exterior. Handling wise it may be even harder to judge. Frankly, while my driving style is "inspired" for sure I'm still not sure that a professional figure-8 test is applicable to my real life needs. It just has to be "fast" and drive "well" but whether the car does figure-8 in 26.8 seconds or 27.2 seconds I honestly don't give sh*t.

That leaves the thing you are going to stare at and use the most - interior. For me the absolute #1 reason I'm going to buy Q50 is the interior. It is the first car on the market that finally looks like it's been made in the 21st century! Let me make my point clear with some visual aid.

Here is BMW center console on 1995 model:
BMW 5 Series (E39) - 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 - Interior Photo #1

And here is 2014 BMW 3-series interior:
http://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/image-106/[title-raw]/BMW 3 Series GT interior.jpg

It is exactly the same thing!!! There are two horizontal vents at the top, small space below that, a plastic horizontal radio with 20 redundant plastic buttons under that, and plastic A/C controls under that. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has changed in 20 years!

Frankly Lexus has not made that much of a progress either so I was pretty shocked to see people rate it's interior high:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...ussion-merged-threads-is-f-sport-interior.png

Now let's compare that crap to the 21st century interior:
http://www.gosportcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014-Infiniti-Q50-interior-photo-1280x782.jpg

Ladies and gentelmen of the jury, I rest my case :D

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Yeah, I'd put BMW down at the bottom when it comes to their interiors as well. As nice as the technology is, and again, as heavily improved as they've been over previous years, the BMW 3- Series still hasn't quite achieved that same premium feeling that you get out of the other cars. It just feels very cold and stale. I think the 5-Series and 7-Series do a lot better job, but the 3-Series still hasn't quite nailed it for me.

I think compared to previous years, the Lexus interior across the board have made quite an improvement. I haven't heard a single bad thing about the updated interiors, especially for the GS, IS, and LS. In fact, the GS interior specifically seems to be a fan favorite.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.