Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone yet figured out if any of the roof rack manufacturers have a foot that works on the Q50 yet? Winter is coming and I'm going to want to put my roof box on. Especially since skis aren't going to fit inside a hybrid.

There's always the option of drilling and permanently mounting feet to hold a rack. That would be sold, but I don't like the look when the rack is off the car, plus I'm not sure how Infiniti would feel about that at the end of a lease.

I went by Rack n Road today and they don't have any answers yet. But I thought maybe a member had already figured out if there are existing feet / fit kits from a car with a similar roof to the Q50.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Really? Roof Rack on the Q50??? You should have got a SUV- IMHO.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
as far as i know there has not been a fitguide up for thule's 480/480R system, however yakima has a Q tower system which isnt as nice as it uses universal fit kits to mount onto your car but it works and is cheaper as well.

a permanent install is always an option, you can opt for tracks, which allows you to slide the system back and forth and you can remove the towers AKA "feet" when you dont want them on your car, however the tracks themselves cannot be removed. a cheaper permanent option is yakima's landing pads which are not able to be adjusted but the crossbars are able to be removed leaving behind the landing pads which you can put a cover over that comes with the kit when purchased.

from my standpoint cvipgo is right, i work in the industry and i hate the look of a roof rack system on luxury sedans, i've sold and installed thule's 480R system on multiple G37 and it looks absolutely horrible. however it can be removed when you're not using it its about 15 minutes worth of work so it isnt that bad.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CVIPGO. You come on here and post douchy stupid stuff all the time. Thanks so much for that incredibly helpful input.

I can buy any Infiniti I want. If the QX50 or QX70 had the cool tech features and great gas mileage of the Q50 hybrid, I'd jump on one of those in a second. The QX60 hybrid comes close, but is way bigger than I need and IMHO is under-powered.

I drive in the snow all the time. I spend every weekend all winter in Tahoe. I need to transport my skis only once in a while. Mostly they stay in my locker at the mountain. But when I do go ski someplace else, either as a day trip, or if I need to go someplace for a few days of on-hill training (I work part time as a ski instructor), I need to carry my gear. Unfortunately, its going to be hard to fit skis inside a hybrid. They make those stupid magnetic ski racks, but they only hold skis. I want my roof box on the car so I can put in snowy skis, boots, etc.

Vancity, the Yakima landing pads are the solution I'd prefer to avoid. They require permanently mounting (screwing) them to the roof. Since 95% of the time I won't have the roof rack/box on, they'll look stupid (IMHO and CVIPGO's too, probably). I've seen people put those on EX's that didn't have factory roof racks.

The car will look silly when the racks are on, but so be it.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
CVIPGO. You come on here and post douchy stupid stuff all the time. Thanks so much for that incredibly helpful input.

I can buy any Infiniti I want. If the QX50 or QX70 had the cool tech features and great gas mileage of the Q50 hybrid, I'd jump on one of those in a second. The QX60 hybrid comes close, but is way bigger than I need and IMHO is under-powered.

I drive in the snow all the time. I spend every weekend all winter in Tahoe. I need to transport my skis only once in a while. Mostly they stay in my locker at the mountain. But when I do go ski someplace else, either as a day trip, or if I need to go someplace for a few days of on-hill training (I work part time as a ski instructor), I need to carry my gear. Unfortunately, its going to be hard to fit skis inside a hybrid. They make those stupid magnetic ski racks, but they only hold skis. I want my roof box on the car so I can put in snowy skis, boots, etc.

Vancity, the Yakima landing pads are the solution I'd prefer to avoid. They require permanently mounting (screwing) them to the roof. Since 95% of the time I won't have the roof rack/box on, they'll look stupid (IMHO and CVIPGO's too, probably). I've seen people put those on EX's that didn't have factory roof racks.

shown your used car sales attitude...:eek:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

yes i know the way it mounts, the tracks are mounted that was as well via a drilled hole. however it sounds like you want something temporary that can be taken on and off, so your best bet is to opt for the yak Q towers. if i were you though, i'd wait for the thule 480R system they look nicer, theyre more quite and they last longer as well

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Amen to that, but don't you realize that he knows everything(NOT!) - just ask him. Just don't ask him where he gets his information, because he won't tell you.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Vancity808, that was a very helpful write up. Thank you! I'm in the same boat as Sinecure in that my hybrid has no room for skis (yes, I do have SUVs, but why should they get all the fun?). With your input in mind I'll await the Thule 480R system. We've enjoyed the quality of Thule products vs Yakima. Glad you feel similarly.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Vancity808, that was a very helpful write up. Thank you! I'm in the same boat as Sinecure in that my hybrid has no room for skis (yes, I do have SUVs, but why should they get all the fun?). With your input in mind I'll await the Thule 480R system. We've enjoyed the quality of Thule products vs Yakima. Glad you feel similarly.
Youre welcome ! Yeah the 480R system given the aluminum bars and the aerodynamics is much better then yakima's Q towers. Yakima does have an aerodynamic aluminum series called the whispbars however there is very limited vehicle fit and I can almost garuntee theres no fit kit for any 2014 vehicle. However if youre looking for the snowboard carriers themselves, Sinecure I strongly suggest yakimas fatcat over thules flattop series

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
480R system is what I was looking for. It has changed in the 15 years since I last had to buy a rack. That'll work. I just need Thule to come up with the right fitment and it will work fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
good news, a clip on system has came out for the Q50, its the Yakima Q tower system (Q-clip #7 & 127), nothing fancy, but gets the job done. hopefully thule and yakima come out with the aerodynamic series soon, i'd love to try that on my car. i'll throw the yakima system on my car the next time work isnt too busy to see what its going to look like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any update on this? I'm about to pick up my Q50 and will need some kind of rack for my triathlon bike, whether roof or trunk (I'd prefer roof)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Any update on this? I'm about to pick up my Q50 and will need some kind of rack for my triathlon bike, whether roof or trunk (I'd prefer roof)
Only fitment so far is for the Yakima Q tower system, your local rack shop should have all the fit kits needed for the Q50.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, there's snow in tahoe. Not much though. We really need a storm to dump 5'-10'. I've been doing fine w/out a rack, but I'd really like Thule to come out with an official fitment.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK.

Thule fit kit 1551 fits like a glove! Measurements are slightly different from G37, but works just great. I put the aero bars on with 480r feet and mounted my old Thule box. I had to adjust the position of the tie-downs in the box to fit the gap between the bars, but that was about it.

Also of note, the car is a blast in the snow. Really stable in ordinary snowing conditions - drove in rain, slick, packed snow and up to 2" on the road. Super predictable and no problems starting on a steep hill from a stop in packed snow. Oh, and it is a blast to do donuts once you take traction control off.

Car looks good with my Masshole friend in the passenger seat:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Isnt the 1551 the G37 sedan's kit? a thule dealer sold you that for your Q..?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, that's the fit kit for the G. I measured the G roof and eye-balled the angles of the sides. Really close match. So I ordered the fit kit to see if it would work, and it does. Surprisingly quiet at 70+mph.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Thats good i guess, but know that if you attempt to warranty the product, thule wont authorize it if they found out you used a G kit on a Q. However if it works then it works, but i'd still advise you to get the proper fit kit when it comes out, as ultimately technically any kit will work as long as the roofs are similar, but theres a reason thule has over 2000+ kits as every roof is different, and the slightest change or use of wrong kit could make the difference between 165 pounds of roof load coming off your car or not.

The wind noise is due to bar design, with the aeroblades its almost no noise at 70MPH, good thing you didnt get the square bars.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Not to bump something old, but I have a Yakima Whispbar system for a car my wife took with her (going through a divorce...). I am searching for the feet replacement, and since Sinecure used the same mounts as the G37, I am giving them a shot later today (if any of the local stores carry fit kit K558) for the feet. If so, I plan to take it out and immediately try it to see if it is functional.

I will update if I find the kit locally, and if so I have a way to haul my bikes and kayak now. Getting excited to have that ability again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts