Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Not to bump something old, but I have a Yakima Whispbar system for a car my wife took with her (going through a divorce...). I am searching for the feet replacement, and since Sinecure used the same mounts as the G37, I am giving them a shot later today (if any of the local stores carry fit kit K558) for the feet. If so, I plan to take it out and immediately try it to see if it is functional.

I will update if I find the kit locally, and if so I have a way to haul my bikes and kayak now. Getting excited to have that ability again.
Pretty sure whispbar doesnt have a fit for the Q or nobodys tested it yet. I known Thules 480s work wity fit kit 1551 thats what ive got on there. take a look at my "racked up" thread.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'd be surprised if Yakima's fit kit for the G doesn't fit the Q50. Post pics when you get it hooked up.

This reminds me I need to wash my car today so I can put the rack and box on tonight. Going to Tahoe tomorrow night for what may be the last days of the season. Unless it snows next week as they're saying it might.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'd be surprised if Yakima's fit kit for the G doesn't fit the Q50. Post pics when you get it hooked up.

This reminds me I need to wash my car today so I can put the rack and box on tonight. Going to Tahoe tomorrow night for what may be the last days of the season. Unless it snows next week as they're saying it might.
Yakimas Q tower does, but for the whispbars I couldnt even find the proper kit to fit it onto the G or I wouldve put that on my car instead.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Pretty sure whispbar doesnt have a fit for the Q or nobodys tested it yet. I known Thules 480s work wity fit kit 1551 thats what ive got on there. take a look at my "racked up" thread.

Well aware there isn't a direct fitment option for the Q50 yet with Yakima, even talked to Yakima on the phone and they haven't tested the options yet for it. I was basing my judgement on previous people using the same mounts for other systems that also work on the G37. Since the G37 uses fitkit K558 for the Whispbar towers, I went ahead and ordered it with the anticipation that it will work with mine. Luckily I purchased the through bars for the Traverse, so length should not be an issue, and it will probably stick out past the sides of my car, which isn't an issue since I want to haul two kayaks with it, and also two bikes (different times).

I ordered them today from ORS, and hopefully will have them by the end of the week to try.

I will be reporting back with photos, but I wanted to let others know the fitkit in case they could find it locally (I couldn't) and if they had the bars available already.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the Thule Aeroblades, although I like the Whispbar, they seem to be a tad more difficult to obtain the parts.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well aware there isn't a direct fitment option for the Q50 yet with Yakima, even talked to Yakima on the phone and they haven't tested the options yet for it. I was basing my judgement on previous people using the same mounts for other systems that also work on the G37. Since the G37 uses fitkit K558 for the Whispbar towers, I went ahead and ordered it with the anticipation that it will work with mine. Luckily I purchased the through bars for the Traverse, so length should not be an issue, and it will probably stick out past the sides of my car, which isn't an issue since I want to haul two kayaks with it, and also two bikes (different times).

I ordered them today from ORS, and hopefully will have them by the end of the week to try.

I will be reporting back with photos, but I wanted to let others know the fitkit in case they could find it locally (I couldn't) and if they had the bars available already.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the Thule Aeroblades, although I like the Whispbar, they seem to be a tad more difficult to obtain the parts.
Yakima does have a fit out for the Q50, the Q towers ( Q7 Clips (front) Q127 Clips (rear) )are the only technically listed fit on our car right now

Im sorry did you order the whispbar fitkit + traverse towers..?

The bars are already available they're universal fitting just have set sizes, for aeroblades i know its the 53inch, and for the whispbar you'll be using i think the S5's for flush.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I have the whispbars already, just need the different feet for connection to my car, already have everything else, just need the $70 feet/attachment pieces.

I got a notice from ORS that the K558 kit might be on recall from Yakima due to issues, and that is the kit that is supposed to fit our car...

So I will be calling Yakima again soon to discuss.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Thought I would update this. Yakima did a recall on the K558 feet. I found a set, and used them, they work, kinda of... Here is what happens, they will mount and be secure until you put on a rack that attaches to both bars, like a bike rack. It will twist the Whispbar and literally pull it off the car since they don't sit level, the one in the front is tilted slightly forward, and the one in the back, slightly backwards, and they try to twist flat, so they end up pulling off the car.

I have the Whispbar on my truck now, but I really wish I could use it on the Q50, as I want to throw on my bicycles, but it just won't work. For kayaks, and using something that just sits on them like that, they work, but the bicycle racks just twist them right off the top of the car.

The round bar towers would work, but I don't own round bars, and I really want to use the aero bars... just frustrating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any updates on this? Thule doesn't say they have a direct fit system anymore if you go their website, although I saw someone had the big mouth kit on their Q50 but wasn't sure which base mounts they had.

Looks like Rhino Racks (on etrailers) are the only ones with direct fit options?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The kit for a 2013 G37 will fit perfectly. The only difference is the roof is maybe 1cm wider. I've used mine dozens of times now with no problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to add to this, depending on what you are looking for I have had great success with the following products.

Rhino Rack Vortex 2500 RS roof rails. I had them on a Q70 as well as my G37. Very sleek and never had a problem.

I also have a Sea Sucker mount. Which is a suction cup mount that I use for my bicycle and snowboard. One might be hesitant but this thing is rock solid. I took it on a trip from Arizona to Chicago and I never had a single issue. Even through "spirited" driving through the mountains(;

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK.

Thule fit kit 1551 fits like a glove! Measurements are slightly different from G37, but works just great. I put the aero bars on with 480r feet and mounted my old Thule box. I had to adjust the position of the tie-downs in the box to fit the gap between the bars, but that was about it.

Also of note, the car is a blast in the snow. Really stable in ordinary snowing conditions - drove in rain, slick, packed snow and up to 2" on the road. Super predictable and no problems starting on a steep hill from a stop in packed snow. Oh, and it is a blast to do donuts once you take traction control off.

Car looks good with my Masshole friend in the passenger seat:

hey mate. dope setup.

mind if I ask how long your aero bars are? 47 maybe 53? I'm trying to go with a Thule setup as well with a 2017 3.0t

21 - 32 of 32 Posts